• Jerry
    replied
    Looking through here would be a good start I'd think :

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Leave a comment:

• cbpt
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    Please note the Godaddy purposely cripples a number of PHP functions required by vB. You'll likely find other things that don't work either. They really are not a suitable web hosting company. Their primary business is domains, not hosting.
    I understand that you probably cannot recommend a web hosting company, but can you give me some names of reputable companies that host without running PHP in safe mode? I am looking to spend no more than $10.00 month. Any suggestions? I just got your board and look forward to using it in all its glory.

THanks for the help

Leave a comment:

• cbpt
    replied
    Thats not good to hear, as I have a years worth of web hosting with them prepaid

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Please note the Godaddy purposely cripples a number of PHP functions required by vB. You'll likely find other things that don't work either. They really are not a suitable web hosting company. Their primary business is domains, not hosting.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    opendir() is required by vBulletin.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by cbpt
    a quick question to add to this...If I install a copy of vbulletin locally on a personal web server that allows php to do this, and I point it at the hosted mysql database...can I do the conversion (board "upgrade") and then point my hosted board at this database when complete without having any conflicts?
    Yes, run impex local and have the target and source on the remote server that can be done, as long as godaddy lets remote connections to MySQL.

Originally posted by cbpt
    Secondly, does the php in vbulletin require the directories be available for anything other than ImPex? If I finally get things straight, will I run into other problems with other features, or is ImPex the only function that requires this?
    Its impex, its the way it scans dirs, though I will double check that for the whole of vBulletin.

Leave a comment:

• cbpt
    replied
    a quick question to add to this...If I install a copy of vbulletin locally on a personal web server that allows php to do this, and I point it at the hosted mysql database...can I do the conversion (board "upgrade") and then point my hosted board at this database when complete without having any conflicts?

Secondly, does the php in vbulletin require the directories be available for anything other than ImPex? If I finally get things straight, will I run into other problems with other features, or is ImPex the only function that requires this?

Again, thanks for your time.

Leave a comment:

• cbpt
    replied
    so if my web hosting company tells me to pound salt, then I basically wasted $160.00 eh? It seems the rest of the board runs fine, althouigh I can't use avatars for some reason.

If I contact my web hosting company (which is godaddy), is there anything in particlar that I should ask them to do?

Thankis for your time Jerry!

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    ImpEx needs to be able to read directories to be able to run, it searches its own directory to find the systems that are available.

If it can't do that it can't build the list.

You will need to have PHP reconfigured.

Leave a comment:

• cbpt
    started a topic problems importing from phpbb2

problems importing from phpbb2

receiving this error when I attempt to import using ImPex. At the introduction screen after clicking the import/export button in the admin control panel.

Warning: opendir, readdir, closedir() has been disabled for security reasons in d:\hosting\cbptfreedom\forum\impex\ImpExDisplay.php on line 468

In addition, it does not provide any choices in the drop down menu (which I believe should list the different boards) to select from. What do I do from here?

Thanks for the help.