Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import/Export via Impex

Hi all,

Hope you don't mind me asking this. Have checked through the forums and think I'm confident of how to do this, but just want to double check.

I am on Ipowerweb (so no Telnet etc). I am moving servers within Ipowerweb so want to move my message boards. The hosts would do this for $50, so obviously I'd prefer to do it myself

So, just to get it straight, do I install Impex on my current board and do an export of the database (which is currently quite large, over 2,000 members and approaching 150,000 posts). Then, reinstall VB on the new server, install Impex with that and do an import of the exported database, which will result in my board in all it's glory, but on the new server.

Just want to make sure that I have the theory and procedure behind Impex right before I destroy my board and am hung from the highest tree by my users.

Hi there,

Your new account also has no shell access? If you can't export the .sql dump through phpmyadmin or the admin control panel of vBulletin or through a shell you could indeed install a fresh vBulletin 3.0.3 on the new account in a new database and then install impex on the new installation. Point the impexconfig.php to the new and old server and then import the data from the old server.

If your new server does have shell access I think the best way is to make a .sql dump on the old account through phpmyadmin and then ftp it to the new server, and import it through the shell. Move the files with FTP and you are done! (after updating config.php)

Comment

If you cant grant remote access to the MySQL database, you can import it remotley, though it is advised and the perfered way to get the old database onto the new server and do it locally.

What system are you importing from, or are you just moving servers ?
      I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Hi Floris,

Thanks for the reply.

Nope, the new server doesn't have shell either, Ipowerweb don't provide the facility (my only grumble with them to be fair)

I've tried to carry out a database dump through phpmyadmin, but it times out unfortunately. Beforehand, when I did a server move, I transferred over one table at a time, dumping them as separate tables and importing them through SQL, so I could do that again, but was wondering if Impex would save me the trouble.

Thing is, I'm not sure (and wouldn't bet on) that I'd have access to the old and new servers at the same time. Basically, I'd like to transfer to the new server to take advantage of their new VDeck control panel, but they have to create a new account for me to do that and to move me to one of their VDeck servers, hence me having to move my forum. If it's too fiddly I could stay where I am but, hey, I want the latest set-up if possible Ipowerweb have said to me that, if want to transfer, give them the nod and they'll open a new account for me on the new server but either I'd have to move my site myself or pay for them to do it. The site itself isn't a problem as I'm moving to a total CSS layout anyway, but the message board is the awkward bit.

Anyway, I'm rambling, but hopefully you get the idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry
          If you cant grant remote access to the MySQL database, you can import it remotley, though it is advised and the perfered way to get the old database onto the new server and do it locally.

What system are you importing from, or are you just moving servers ?
          I'm just moving servers Jerry, I'm already on VB 3.0.3.

Comment

Originally posted by PompeyScot
            I'm just moving servers Jerry, I'm already on VB 3.0.3.
            Ahh then its not really an import, though if you can grant remote access to the source database to the IP address that the target board is on impex can do it, though you'll have to move all the settings/styles/config etc separately.

Well the source server let you run GRANT SQL commands ?
            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry
              Ahh then its not really an import, though if you can grant remote access to the source database to the IP address that the target board is on impex can do it, though you'll have to move all the settings/styles/config etc separately.

Well the source server let you run GRANT SQL commands ?
              Aaaaah right, so is Impex really a facility to import databases from other forums etc? I may have got the wrong idea about it.

I was calling it an import because I will completely need to reinstall VB and 'import' all the details back in, the boards won't just move as the hosts are opening up a new account for me on the new server, so it will just be like a new site, not a transfer....if you see what I mean

What does grant SQL commands mean Jerry? (I'm not a SQL expert, I can get by just about, LOL). I can run SQL commands via phpmyadmin if that's what you mean?

Comment

Lets call the impex software the way to import another database.
                And lets call importing a database dump 'restore'

What you want is to restore a database dump.

Make the dump on the old account, using the admin control panel > import & maintenance > backup database feature. Or the phpmyadmin feature to dump a database, or through a shell (telnet/ssh) using mysql directly.

FTP the dump to the new account, where you can restore it using mysql directly on the shell, or through phpmyadmin or ask your hosting provider to do it for you.

Instructions can be found here:
                http://www.vBulletin.com/docs/html
                Appendix: Techincal Documents

Comment

Thanks for the help so far, just got a couple more questions if I may?

I can't see anywhere in the Backup database options in the CP to back up to your own PC, only to your current server. How can I back up to my own PC (so I can FTP the dump to the new server) as you say?

Also, once I have FTPd it to the new server, what is the exact SQL command to import the dump into my newly reinstalled VBulletin board (in phpmyadmin)?

(I'm asking this because my hosts are proving very unhelpful about helping me with this in any way at all, they say I'll need to link my database to the new board myself, grumble, moan).

Comment

Backup through vBulletin Admin Control Panel:
                    Admin Control Panel > Import & Maintenance > Database Backup:
                    First part > check all > this is how you can get a .sql dump to save on your hard drive.
                    But: Depending how big it is and your apache/php/mysql settings you might get a incomplete dump. Open the .sql dump once its completed the last line should read #dump complete# (or something close to that)
                    Second part > enter a path > make sure this path is set to chmod 777 so the browser has writing permissions > and let it run. It will store the .sql dump on the server. This is sometimes a better way to make a dump as it is directly on the server, and goes a bit faster - more luck getting bigger databases backed up. Again, the last file should read #database dump complete# (or something close to that)
                    Thid part > you don't need that, ignore it.

Using phpmyadmin you can select to make a dump and .gzip it - this is a good solution as it will dump it, gzip it and usually is 100% complete. Especially handy for big sized .sql dumps (over 100mb)

Shell is the best, as you are not limited to the apache/php/mysql limits.

MySQL shell restore command.. manual:
                    http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...ce_ssh_restore

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X