X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by GetGamer.com
    EDIT: I'm going to try using Microsoft DTS to export the MS SQL data to a MySQL database, and then use the standard ImpEx Snitz-MySQL import modules.

For reference: http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/...microsoft.html
    Will be interesting to see how that goes. I will do the MSSQL version, though this might solve the issue right now.

Leave a comment:

• GetGamer.com
    replied
    I'd like to be able to run the import myself to minimize downtime. I sent you a PM describing what I think my options are.

EDIT: I'm going to try using Microsoft DTS to export the MS SQL data to a MySQL database, and then use the standard ImpEx Snitz-MySQL import modules.

For reference: http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/...microsoft.html
    Last edited by GetGamer.com; Wed 22 Dec '04, 8:50am.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    You should be able to import from a converted version of that database to MySQL, use the exsisting Snitz importer and set the database type to mysql for the source.

Or I can convert a fresh access database to MySQL if that will help ?

Leave a comment:

• GetGamer.com
    replied
    The Access database I sent you earlier this month was exported from the very same MS SQL database. I need to find a solution that will let me do the import myself before New Year's Eve. I'm committed to switching over on Dec. 31st.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Is there a version for MS SQL?
    Currently no, if I could get some test data I would extend the current one, though that wouldn't be till mid january now.

Do you have ImpEx version 1.42 or lower ? Because it checks if you have MSSQL support or not before running now.

Leave a comment:

• Matt_270581
    replied
    Hmm ok. Good luck

Leave a comment:

• GetGamer.com
    replied
    My prefixes are correct, but thanks for the suggestion. I've already done the import once (first exporting to Access, then converting to a .SQL script, then....it's a long story). This is the first attempt with a direct connection to MS SQL.

Leave a comment:

• Matt_270581
    replied
    Make sure you have your table prefix correct in the Impex config page for the Source DB.

Eg: Your tables may be named snitz_forum_a_reply and not just forum_a_reply.

Therefore you would need to set your source tbl prefix in IMpexconfig to snitz_

Leave a comment:

• GetGamer.com
    replied
    Dedicated server now ready for 2nd import test

We've got our new dedicated server setup, and have MS SQL support installed for PHP so we can test the import from MS SQL to MySQL.

vBulletin installs perfectly (of course), but I have problems with ImpEx. I'm able to connect to the MS SQL database, because the first module sees the existing tables, but I get the following message for ALL of the tables:

FORUM_A_REPLY NOT found or a non standard table
    FORUM_A_TOPICS NOT found or a non standard table...

and so on for all of the tables.

Any clues?

EDIT: I just realized that snitz\000.php is written for a Snitz MySQL database, not MS SQL. Is there a version for MS SQL?
    Last edited by GetGamer.com; Tue 21 Dec '04, 3:00pm.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    ....."import complete!" .....
    Ok, though its very hard to have something like that because they alwawys need a bit of clean up and tweaking afterwards, forum permissions, cleaner.php etc

Leave a comment:

• GetGamer.com
    replied
    Yes, I had printed that out for reference. There are a few things that I just wasn't sure about. I kind of expected some sort of message saying "import complete!" or similar. I sorted it out though.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Have you read and followed all the steps in the HOWTO ?

Leave a comment:

• GetGamer.com
    replied
    That is a shame about the passwords. Is there really no way to do it? What if I could unencrypt the passwords before I exported the Snitz database?

Part of the problem with Snitz is that most of the features like polls and the smilie manager are MODs and are not included in the base package. Depending on what version of a particular MOD someone has installed, the import results will be unpredictable.

When I do the import, the smilie import is the final module. Is there anything that happens AFTER that module is run? I just stopped at that point. Everything was in the database, but after looking more closely there were a few things that weren't quite right.

The users were all members of the "imported_users" usergroup rather than the "registered_members." I deleted the imported_users usergroup and this moved them all to the registered_members.

I just took a look at Cleaner. I'll compile a list of codes that need cleaning and give it a run a bit later.
    Last edited by GetGamer.com; Thu 9 Dec '04, 6:58am.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    1. Passwords aren't recognized. I was able to request a password reset and get a new password, but this will be a major PITA for most users. Is this normal?
    Yes, they can't be imported due to the way they are stored in Snitz, there is nothing at all that can be done about this, the users will have to request a new password.

2. Polls were converted to normal topics (no poll options). This forum was nothing but polls, but you'll see they were all converted to regular topics.
    I will attempt an import with your data to see where the polls are going.

3. The smilie import module failed. I don't have the Snitz smilie mod installed (I'm just using the default smilies), so the table doesn't exist.
    Well if its not there it won't be able to import them.

4. There are a number of formatting codes that did not convert cleanly, leaving HTML debris littering many posts.
    The <font> tags should of been parsed out as they are in snitz_html(), though there is usally some HTML left over from non BB code boards, this is what impex/tools/cleaner.php is for.

Leave a comment:

• GetGamer.com
    replied
    Working, mostly

The conversion has worked, mostly. You can view the results at http://www.hisbuddyicons.com/forum/index.php

I had to use a different domain for testing because my current server is running Windows and doesn't allow me to run programs on it (like MySQL). I tried importing using MySQLAdmin but it never successfully imported the 60 MB .sql file.

My workaround was to create a test forum on one of my Linux servers. As you'll see the data came across with a few anomalies:

1. Passwords aren't recognized. I was able to request a password reset and get a new password, but this will be a major PITA for most users. Is this normal?

2. Polls were converted to normal topics (no poll options). This forum was nothing but polls, but you'll see they were all converted to regular topics.

3. The smilie import module failed. I don't have the Snitz smilie mod installed (I'm just using the default smilies), so the table doesn't exist.

4. There are a number of formatting codes that did not convert cleanly, leaving HTML debris littering many posts.

On the bright side, it looks like all the forums, topics, members and moderators came across cleanly.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X