UBB Import question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of problems (minor)

Since you ditched the "Import Styles", the menu is now incorrect. There is still an "Import Styles". So, when I clicked on "Import Forums", it told me I had to click "Import Styles" first. So I clicked on "Import Styles", but it actually then imports the forums.

Next: how does it treat imported moderators? I noticed it does not put them into a separate group, so how does it know they're moderators? Individual user permissions?

Finally - after importing the forums (but not threads or posts), I noticed that they are not showing up on the main forum page. Does that happen later in the import or do I need to run a "Repair/Optimize" or some other thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Fischman
      Since you ditched the "Import Styles", the menu is now incorrect. There is still an "Import Styles". So, when I clicked on "Import Forums", it told me I had to click "Import Styles" first. So I clicked on "Import Styles", but it actually then imports the forums.
      This comes from the generated menu, I'm going to hazard a guess that you have uploaded the new files but not deleted the session and all the imported data. When you initially choose a system, it reads through all the files getting the dependencies and building the menu, then it doesn't do it again as it is stored in the session.

Deleting the session and all imported data, that will rebuild the menu.

Next: how does it treat imported moderators? I noticed it does not put them into a separate group, so how does it know they're moderators? Individual user permissions?
      In the admincp browse the Forums & Moderators section, they should be linked to the forums there.

Finally - after importing the forums (but not threads or posts), I noticed that they are not showing up on the main forum page. Does that happen later in the import or do I need to run a "Repair/Optimize" or some other thing?
      That's in the HOWTO, what I believe is going on there is display order. Check out the Forum Manager ensure they aren't nested under the Main Forum and that their imported display value isn't 0.

I'm going to bet that the categories have a display value of 0 and you've not updated them.

As for the moderators, it might be an idea to add them to a custom usergroup as well for manageability.
      I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry

I'm going to bet that the categories have a display value of 0 and you've not updated them.
        No, they're not set to 0. They start at 101 and increment from there. But I still don't see them. They show up in "Forum manager", but not in "Forum permissions".

Never mind - all I had to do was go to "Forum Manager" and click on "Save display order" without making changes.
        Last edited by Gary Fischman; Sun 19 Dec '04, 12:02pm.

Comment

BTW - all users show a "Last visit" of "December 31, 1969". Does this get updated only after they visit?

Comment

No, they're not set to 0. They start at 101 and increment from there. But I still don't see them. They show up in "Forum manager", but not in "Forum permissions".

Never mind - all I had to do was go to "Forum Manager" and click on "Save display order" without making changes.
            So it was the forum cache from another import..

[QUOTE=Gary Fischmanall users show a "Last visit" of "December 31, 1969". Does this get updated only after they visit?[/QUOTE]

Yes.
            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

OK, this migration is starting to shape up.
              After all these test imports, I'd like to do a final "cleanup" prior to my real migration. I'd like to do the following:
              • Purge all users
              • Purge all Forums, Threads, and Posts
              • Purge calendar
              • Leave all styles and functional settings in place.

I figure I'll have to take the above steps manually. Is there anything else I should do to "clean up" prior to a final import?

BTW - since one of my servers just crashed, I'm going to postpone this work until I finish burning in a new machine, so I'm looking at doing this migration first week of February.

Comment

• Purge all users
                • Purge all Forums, Threads, and Posts
                The link at the top of each impex page, to clean up database will do that.

• Purge calendar
                • Leave all styles and functional settings in place.

I figure I'll have to take the above steps manually. Is there anything else I should do to "clean up" prior to a final import?
                Yes the calandar will have to be manual. You can download the styles, maybe do that, then reinstall vBulletin then upload the styles ?

Main thing I would do, that you are headding towards it a clean dB to start from.

Possiably, a fresh install then configureing it how you would like, make a back up of that and set that as a base to go from.
                I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Not that simple. I've made dozens, if not hundreds of configuration tweaks and changes. It'll be difficult to track them all down if I re-install.

Any way to do some manual housecleaning prior to the import?

Comment

Not that simple. I've made dozens, if not hundreds of configuration tweaks and changes. It'll be difficult to track them all down if I re-install.
                    Ah ok, well anything import will have a import_XXXX_id where XXXX is the table name, the links at the top of the impex page to "remove all imported data" will get everything that's been imported and leave the rest.

Any way to do some manual housecleaning prior to the import?
                    Well that's going to be everything that impex doesn't get, i.e. anything you have manually put in I'm guessing if I understand you correctly.

Out of importer interest how many posts is your ubb.classic board up to now ?
                    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Around a million, I guess. Not sure. It was up to 1.5M, but I purged quite a bit of old posts. How long do you expect the import will take?

Comment

On a P4 2.4 with 1 Gig of ram I would expect 40-60 mins depending on what else the server is doing, then quite a while to rebuild the search index, 8 hours at a guess ?

The board can be run while it is rebuilding though it just won't be 100% searching untill it is done.
                        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X