Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UBB Import question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • UBB Import question

    When doing an import of a UBB, I understand that it will normally take the "Displayed" name as the new vB login.

    However, what happens when there are conflicts? E.g., I have more than 1 "Bob" as a PDN in UBB. How does it handle that? Does it throw an exception and invalidate the entire import? Does it just ignore certain records and provide a fallout report?

  • #2
    You can choose the display name or the login name. If the display name is chosen and doesn't exist the importer will default to the login name.

    If a duplicate name exists, i.e. "Bob" and a second one is encountered the name will be pre-pended with imported_ so it becomes "imported_Bob".

    As for a third, Bob it would pre-pend that with imported_ as well so there would be one Bob and two imported_Bob's as it stands.

    Which wouldn't break the import, though would need cleaning up afterwards.

    I will mod the ImpExDatabase::import_user() function to look for multiple import duplicates.

    It will throw and exception within the import_user() function, which is where it handles it, so no, it won't invalidate or crash the import etc.

    As for fall out report (logging) that is #2 on the to-do list atm.
    I wrote ImpEx.

    Blog | Me

    Comment


    • #3
      How would I clean up afterwards? Can the login names be changed?
      Any possibility of getting a script to find out beforehand where the duplicates are so I can give users a chance to change 'em?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Gary Fischman
        How would I clean up afterwards? Can the login names be changed?
        Any possibility of getting a script to find out beforehand where the duplicates are so I can give users a chance to change 'em?
        I'd suggest performing a test import then select the usernames from the vBulletin database that are "imported_*".
        I wrote ImpEx.

        Blog | Me

        Comment


        • #5
          Just tried a test import with your newest Impex.
          Threw an exception and stopped when it hit on a UBB PDN with a single quote in it. Mr. O'Connor broke the import.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Gary Fischman
            Just tried a test import with your newest Impex.
            Threw an exception and stopped when it hit on a UBB PDN with a single quote in it. Mr. O'Connor broke the import.
            If by PDN you mean displayname I have added the relevant addslashes().
            Last edited by Jerry; Wed 1 Dec '04, 10:52pm.
            I wrote ImpEx.

            Blog | Me

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks. Yes, PDN meant displayname. (In UBB, they call it a "Public Displayed Name") As for why I'm smiling - its because I like vB and I'm making progress. Each time I find a bug, you have it nailed within a few hours. We're getting there and I appreciate it!

              Comment


              • #8
                What happens if the source database for the import contains the same email address and/or login name of the Admin doing the import? Is there any risk of knocking myself out of the vB database?

                If that were to happen, is there a way to rescue/reset the Admin password?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Gary Fischman
                  What happens if the source database for the import contains the same email address and/or login name of the Admin doing the import? Is there any risk of knocking myself out of the vB database?

                  If that were to happen, is there a way to rescue/reset the Admin password?
                  If a users in the source data has the same email address as the admin of the target board, this will cause the source users data to be associated with the admin users, if you are mergin on email address. It won't over write the admin, the admin will just get an importuserid of the source user.

                  Though, if you re-run the import user module when the admin users has an importuserid, the origional admin user will be deleted as it is classed as an imported user. So either only run it once or manually set the admin users importuserid to 0 before rerunning it.
                  I wrote ImpEx.

                  Blog | Me

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have thought of a few was to "protect" the admin user but none of them have been better than just making customers aware of the issue.

                    You can restore an admin user using the tools.php script.
                    I wrote ImpEx.

                    Blog | Me

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Getting closer...

                      Just completed a 25,000 user import. Seemed to mostly work, though there are some minor issues.

                      If the users were banned in UBB (they did not have the ability to post notes), they were not pulled in to the vB "Banned by Moderator" group. I tried running the "Import Ban List", but that didn't change anything.

                      When viewing the list of user groups, it showed that all the imported users were in the "Registered" group. However, when I clicked on some of the User IDs that I know were banned in UBB, their profile indicated that the primary group was "Coppa awaiting moderation" - even though the group list showed that group as having no members.

                      How do I deal with this?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Gary Fischman
                        Just completed a 25,000 user import. Seemed to mostly work, though there are some minor issues.

                        If the users were banned in UBB (they did not have the ability to post notes), they were not pulled in to the vB "Banned by Moderator" group. I tried running the "Import Ban List", but that didn't change anything.
                        In ubb the importer tries to match :

                        /BanLists/EmailBan.cgi
                        /BanLists/IPBan.cgi
                        /BanLists/NameBansFull.cgi

                        Do they exsist ?

                        Originally posted by Gary Fischman
                        When viewing the list of user groups, it showed that all the imported users were in the "Registered" group. However, when I clicked on some of the User IDs that I know were banned in UBB, their profile indicated that the primary group was "Coppa awaiting moderation" - even though the group list showed that group as having no members.

                        How do I deal with this?
                        Well currently the ubb_classic importer dosn't import the custom groups then match the users to the groups, it tries to match the imported users to the default vBulletin groups.

                        I've had a look around some of the Members/user_groups/groups.cgi test data I've got and it dosn't have a full list of the memebers groups.

                        I'm thinking that some of it is hard coded.

                        I'll have a look at the usergroup parsing for the userimport, see if I can create the groups on the fly if they are no there so that you can manage the users better after an import.
                        I wrote ImpEx.

                        Blog | Me

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Not sure we're on the same page.
                          It had no problem importing the email bans, IP bans, etc.

                          What didn't get pulled over is the fact that I have a few hundred users who permission to post to the forum is shut off. They're not "user groups" in UBB. They're just not allowed to post at all. But once they're pulled in, they're in the same "registered" group as everyone else, so they have permission to post again.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm thinking the answer could be to create a group of "imported banned users" for them and put them in there then you can turn the posting off for that group after the import during the clean up.
                            I wrote ImpEx.

                            Blog | Me

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              That would work. Or allow the import to specify a group for imported banned users. Either way is fine.

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X