Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry
    replied
    Yes it's part of impex, though you'll have to convert the access database to MySQL before doing the import. People typically use PG Offline to download the source, then convert it to MySQL.

Leave a comment:

• Budget101
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry View Post
    I've written a Yahoo Groups importer that imports the users as well as the categories, forums and messages.

There is a function to export a yahoo group as an access database..
    Jerry, is this accessible?? I have a group of 5,000+ members and 43,000+ msgs.

I would like to import all the info into an existing VB board... into 1 particular forum. Is that possible?

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by zennifer
    Is this still an active project? I have a yahoo group that I am pulling off with pgoffline (about 33000 messages) and would love to move the over to vbulletin.
    Yes, the importer is still there.

Leave a comment:

• zennifer
    replied
    Is this still an active project? I have a yahoo group that I am pulling off with pgoffline (about 33000 messages) and would love to move the over to vbulletin.

Leave a comment:

• dc3dreamer
    replied
    Jerry --

There are a bunch of already-imported Yahoo group Access files at

http://www.pgoffline.com/downloads.htm

-- Bob

Leave a comment:

• dc3dreamer
    replied
    Either way I think I'm going to pursue the access database option and retire the mail file importer once it is done.
    Well, considering that a number of email programs (of course Outlook is an exception) on Linux, Mac, and Windows store their messages in the standard format, I think the loss of this importer would be a real loss. When migrating off Yahoo, the issue with usernames/passwords is that you can't get the passwords. This leaves you with requiring people to either register or reset their passwords, both sub-optimal. And I suggest that when migrating, then is a GREAT time to re-validate email addresses. Web-readers on Yahoo can have bad email addresses.

This leaves me (at least) with wanting only to import my Yahoo message base into a separate Archive forum so people will have it there to read. Of course no message would be repliable, because the From users would all be invalid. No problem, it's an archive! Lock out replies and that's it.

Once I do this one import, I personally wouldn't need to use it again, but I'd bet there are others that would have needs like min- import doesn't seem so attractive.

Leave a comment:

• dc3dreamer
    replied
    It's coming from my Thunderbird email program (and previous to that Mozilla 1.7). I get the Yahoo postings via email and filter them into a folder for reading. I hate reading with Yahoo's lame web interface! So anyway, I have messages going back over a year. Of course, T-bird saves mail archives in the usual standard/common "unix" (really RFC-822) format.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Walker
    I am curious, how did you get that Unix file. I have not seen any options in my Yahoogroups to download such a thing.
    I'm curious as to what is going on there as well as I've been asked by a few customers.

Either way I think I'm going to pursue the access database option and retire the mail file importer once it is done.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Walker
    replied
    Originally posted by dc3dreamer
    I have a Unix mail file.
    I am curious, how did you get that Unix file. I have not seen any options in my Yahoogroups to download such a thing.

Regards

Peter

Leave a comment:

• dc3dreamer
    replied
    Ah, perfect then! I saw the buttons for users. I guess I have to figure out how to dupe my database and make a test forum, then give 'er a whirl. I'm on a remote system with no telnet! Not your problem though.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by dc3dreamer
    I have a Unix mail file. I don't necessarily want to import users, as there's no way to get their passwords! It's OK to just have the users register. All I want is to be able to import the messages into an "archive" forum for peoples' reference.

Do you think this is possible?
    Thats what the current importer does.

Leave a comment:

• dc3dreamer
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry
    The mail file importer is quite an archaic importer now, from when you could get the raw mail from YahooGroups...
    I have a Unix mail file. I don't necessarily want to import users, as there's no way to get their passwords! It's OK to just have the users register. All I want is to be able to import the messages into an "archive" forum for peoples' reference.

Do you think this is possible?

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Walker
    Hi Jerry,
    I have been following your posts on the Yahoo Group import filter. It seem to me you are the right person to help me transfer my messages.

I have a large Yahoogroup (about 15000 messages, 1500 members) which I want to import into my vBulletin 3.5.0 board.

I have already downloaded the messages into an Access database using the http://www.pgoffline.com program, you mentioned above (great program by the way), and installed Impex including the Yahoogroup filters.

What do I have to do now to complete the job. I could not find any instructions on what exactly has to be done (step by step) to import such a Yahoogroup. The info in the Impex filters is not enough. You do mention that it uses some kind of UNIX mail file, but I have no idea how to generate such a thing. The pgoffline program appears to me to be the ideal solution for downloading all the existing messages and the memberlist. It is easy to use, inexpensive and puts the data in an Access database.

What I need to know now is how to transfer that data into a threaded format that I can import into vBulletin 3.5.0.

Due to the popularity of Yahoogroups, and the times such a feature has been requested here, I believe that making it possible to import such groups into vb will be very worthwhile.

If you need a large group to use for testing, let me know. I really want to get the posts from my group onto my vb 3.5.0 board.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Rife
    http://www.rifeforum.com

The mail file importer is quite an archaic importer now, from when you could get the raw mail from YahooGroups.

The access is the ideal way to go, though unfortunately I don't have a suitable copy of an board that has been downloaded into an access database to be able to write a yahoogroup_access importer.

If you are interested in giving me a copy of yours so I can get it written PM me

Leave a comment:

• Peter Walker
    replied
    Hi Jerry,
    I have been following your posts on the Yahoo Group import filter. It seem to me you are the right person to help me transfer my messages.

I have a large Yahoogroup (about 15000 messages, 1500 members) which I want to import into my vBulletin 3.5.0 board.

I have already downloaded the messages into an Access database using the http://www.pgoffline.com program, you mentioned above (great program by the way), and installed Impex including the Yahoogroup filters.

What do I have to do now to complete the job. I could not find any instructions on what exactly has to be done (step by step) to import such a Yahoogroup. The info in the Impex filters is not enough. You do mention that it uses some kind of UNIX mail file, but I have no idea how to generate such a thing. The pgoffline program appears to me to be the ideal solution for downloading all the existing messages and the memberlist. It is easy to use, inexpensive and puts the data in an Access database.

What I need to know now is how to transfer that data into a threaded format that I can import into vBulletin 3.5.0.

Due to the popularity of Yahoogroups, and the times such a feature has been requested here, I believe that making it possible to import such groups into vb will be very worthwhile.

If you need a large group to use for testing, let me know. I really want to get the posts from my group onto my vb 3.5.0 board.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Rife
    http://www.rifeforum.com

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by websissy
    Jerry,

This might be a very helpful feature to have available for the Yahoo Groups user list. I know that list can be exported as a flat ascii file which is comma delimited... It includes the username and the email address and a few other fields. It of course, does NOT include the user's Yahoo password. But once I have the table downloaded I can relatively easily assign a unique and secure password to each YahooGroups member. We have no birthdate there, but a default birthdate could be assigned if needed.

Can you tell me off hand which fields are required/mandatory for a vBulletin user? I gather from the ImpEx manual that there are only four such fields and assume that username, email and password are three of the four...
    Code:
    [size=1] SELECT `fieldname` , `vbmandatory` FROM `vbfields` WHERE `tablename` =  'user' AND `vbmandatory` = 'Y'[/size]
    username and email are the only mandatory fields needed.

usergroupid can be pre-generated and importuserid isn't very relevant as the matching is done on username and email address so this can be any int.

Everything else can be updated or generated after the import or set to defaults on import (which is the norm for nonmandatory data that isn't passed in).

Also if you're importing into an existing vB3 database, do you provide for at least SOME duplicate checking to avoid creating users with the same username or email address?
    Yes, ImpEx will merge users on email address if the are the same, and selected, you can turn if off if you wish to merge manually later for some reason.

It will not duplicate usernames, if the same user name exsists i.e. Jerry ImpEx will prepen imported_ to make imported_Jerry so you know who is who.

I did double-check my Yahoo group administration and found the member export feature (which I already knew about) and a new feature I hadn't noticed before, "threads". Clearly using the threads feature coupled with a message download would permit us to recreate the thread hierarchy in vB3. But I could not figure out a way to easily capture that information.
    I have done it on a combination of date and subject title, not ideal but the only data available and seems to be in the 90% accuracy range, which I'm happy with.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X