No announcement yet.

Advice on Importing MAIL format file...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Either way I think I'm going to pursue the access database option and retire the mail file importer once it is done.
    Well, considering that a number of email programs (of course Outlook is an exception) on Linux, Mac, and Windows store their messages in the standard format, I think the loss of this importer would be a real loss. When migrating off Yahoo, the issue with usernames/passwords is that you can't get the passwords. This leaves you with requiring people to either register or reset their passwords, both sub-optimal. And I suggest that when migrating, then is a GREAT time to re-validate email addresses. Web-readers on Yahoo can have bad email addresses.

This leaves me (at least) with wanting only to import my Yahoo message base into a separate Archive forum so people will have it there to read. Of course no message would be repliable, because the From users would all be invalid. No problem, it's an archive! Lock out replies and that's it.

Once I do this one import, I personally wouldn't need to use it again, but I'd bet there are others that would have needs like min- import doesn't seem so attractive.

Comment

Jerry --

There are a bunch of already-imported Yahoo group Access files at

http://www.pgoffline.com/downloads.htm

-- Bob

Comment

Is this still an active project? I have a yahoo group that I am pulling off with pgoffline (about 33000 messages) and would love to move the over to vbulletin.

Comment

Originally posted by zennifer
          Is this still an active project? I have a yahoo group that I am pulling off with pgoffline (about 33000 messages) and would love to move the over to vbulletin.
          Yes, the importer is still there.
          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
            I've written a Yahoo Groups importer that imports the users as well as the categories, forums and messages.

There is a function to export a yahoo group as an access database..
            Jerry, is this accessible?? I have a group of 5,000+ members and 43,000+ msgs.

I would like to import all the info into an existing VB board... into 1 particular forum. Is that possible?

Comment

Yes it's part of impex, though you'll have to convert the access database to MySQL before doing the import. People typically use PG Offline to download the source, then convert it to MySQL.
              I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X