IPB 1.2 -> VB3.0.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPB 1.2 -> VB3.0.3

I wish to import my IPB 1.2 database (on one server) into my VB3.0.3 (on another server) database. Is this possible?

I have installed Impex and when i click on Import/Export in the admincp i get the message: Connection to source server failed. Check username and password.

This obviously means that the source IPB database details are wrong. Firstly I have checked and double checked that the user and pass are correct as well as the actual database name. My question is; if you are trying to import a database from another site what is the sourceserver variable? The host says it is localhost but if I am running the script from another server how do i reach it?

So yea to sum up. I have a database on one server (IPB) that i wish to import into a database on another server (VB3.0.3). The Impex script is running on the VB3 server so the database sourceserver is localhost. The IPB database should also be localhost but then im not accessing the database from that server. What should it be?

Wow what a ramble. Do you understand? Probably could have been said in two sentences but hey. Hope somebody can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

It would be best if you can both databases on the same server, if the IPB database is on another server you need to enter that servers ipaddress under the server name

Comment

Are there any dissadvantages to having the database on a different server?

Comment

Most servers dont allow outside connections to the database server.

It would be in your best intrest to move the database so they are both on the same server

Comment

Ok thought so. Thanks Zachery.

Comment

No problem, if there is anything else I can assist you with please let me know.

Comment

Umm a problem. I have installed IPB1.2 on the same server as VB3. Im trying to back up the IPB data on the different server, reinstall it on the new server and then convert to VB3.

Ok in theory but i am having difficulties backing up the IPB database. I know this is not an IPB help forum, but my question is can i extract data (dump) x lines at a time. For example i have a post table that contains 19MB of data. I do not have shell access and trying to back this up through phpmyadmin only causes a timeout. So can i extract it in sections to avoid this. I.e. get rows 1-1000 then 1001-2000. Is their an SQL query for this?

Comment

The only reliable method of backing up and restoring a MySQL database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. Please see the instructions here:

Backup:
                http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...nce_ssh_backup

Restore:
                http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...ce_ssh_restore
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Sorry i mentioned i did not have shell access so this is my only chance...

And to clarify, i know this is not an IPB help forum but I wish for help in SQL queries. Simply to know if this is possible.

Comment

Sorry, I don't know how to do what you are asking. Since the IPB and vB databases are on the same server, it's not really necessary to back it up prior to doing the import.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Anybody?

Comment

As I said I don't know what you are asking. Since the IPB and vB databases are on the same server, it's not really necessary to back it up prior to doing the import.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

If both databases are on the same server then there are only 2 possible things that will cause the error :

Connection to source server failed. Check username and password.

Either:

A

The details in ImpExConfig are wrong, though you say they are correct and checked.

B

The username and password you are using do not have permissions for that database.
                          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I am having the same username/password error. Unfortunately, I really do need to move over to the new server. Is the process made any easier if I first install vBulletin to the old server, import IPB, and then transfer to the new server? I suppose I would still need to get past the connection error, but at this point I am out of guesses...

I have set up the user name and password in mysql, so they should be good. Also, I only get the error when I set sourcexists to true. But, when I set it to false, the admin panel tells me to set it to true.
                            Last edited by TRR; Mon 3 Jan '05, 5:10pm. Reason: Adding info

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X