Importing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing question

Ive imported sucessfully a few times now and I am setting the board up.

My question is ( I have not tried it yet)
    Can I import just threads and topics and members or will I have to clear the whole database and start all my permissions over again.

Example: since my last import there have been 4 new members on the board I am importing from. and a whole bunch of posts and topics.
    Can I just do the members info and the topics or do I have to go through the whole entire process when we go live.

Ive played around with so many things I forgot what I did The user group was really new to me and at first I dind tlike it but Now I love it, makes life easier for certain forums.

I am trying to get an idea on about how long we will have the board down when I do the final import and change to VB. it took me about 2-3 hours to import.

OH BTW the import software for ubb classic to VB worked perfectly Nice job.
    We didnt loose any post or have any garbage in the importation.

We had a few members names that said imported(user name) One of them being My name If I delete I have an account Delw and importedDelw
    The imported Delw has all my stats and stuff how do I transfer Delw to the importedDelw or visa versa?

Thanks for your Help.
    Delw

Originally posted by Delw
    Ive imported sucessfully a few times now and I am setting the board up.

My question is ( I have not tried it yet)
    Can I import just threads and topics and members or will I have to clear the whole database and start all my permissions over again.
    You can re-run a module, though it will delete all data that has an import id for that module before it runs, i.e. user all users with a importuserid will be removed.

Example: since my last import there have been 4 new members on the board I am importing from. and a whole bunch of posts and topics.
    Can I just do the members info and the topics or do I have to go through the whole entire process when we go live.
    You can re-run the import, it willl delete what is in the target board and re-import all the data per module again. i.e. If you have set up forum permissions and you wish to re-import the threads and posts, that will not effect the foums. As long as you have the origional impex session still (other wise you'll have to hack the dependancies in impex) it will let you re-run the modules you have already run.

Ive played around with so many things I forgot what I did
    Make notes :P

The user group was really new to me and at first I dind tlike it but Now I love it, makes life easier for certain forums.
    This may be effected depending on if you used the imported usergroups or if you moved the imported users into the default usergroups then set them up ?

If you modifyied the imported groups, leave them and then just re-import the users and they will be associated with exsisting imported usergroups that you have modified. If you have moved users to diffrent groups, you will need to delete the users, re-import the usergroups and the users, then move the users to the groups that you have modified (i.e. impex dosn't know what you do with the users after it imports them).

I am trying to get an idea on about how long we will have the board down when I do the final import and change to VB. it took me about 2-3 hours to import.
    Always good to plan these things, run a test a few times etc

OH BTW the import software for ubb classic to VB worked perfectly Nice job. We didnt loose any post or have any garbage in the importation.
    Thanks, good to hear, ubb_classic is one of the harder ones due to being a flat file import and perl source data.

We had a few members names that said imported(user name) One of them being My name If I delete I have an account Delw and importedDelw
    The imported Delw has all my stats and stuff how do I transfer Delw to the importedDelw or visa versa?
    Default behavoiur of ImpEx to stop there being duplicate usernames in the database, use the admincp to "merge" them.

Thanks for your Help.
    Delw
    Your welcome
    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Jerry,
      the only things that I can find that didnt get imported was

style's it said imported 3 but I cant find them

buddy lists said 0 imported

ignore list said 0 imported

Buddy list and ignore list I wasnt even concerned, Styles is no biggy either
      my main concern was the forums , users ,threads and posts

We had a few minor hacks in the ubb board also mainly the poll one and all the polls came over perfectly not one glitch

Delw

Comment

Jerry,
        the only things that I can find that didnt get imported was

style's it said imported 3 but I cant find them
        Styles arn't actually implemented in impex yet, just some of the system importers ubb_classic being one of them.

buddy lists said 0 imported

ignore list said 0 imported
        Then it either can't find them , or there arn't any ?

Buddy list and ignore list I wasnt even concerned, Styles is no biggy either
        my main concern was the forums , users ,threads and posts

We had a few minor hacks in the ubb board also mainly the poll one and all the polls came over perfectly not one glitch

Delw
        So its all ok now ?
        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Its all ok

Thanks for all your help

Delw

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X