3.0.3 -> 3.0.3 merge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.0.3 -> 3.0.3 merge

guys, i've spend a week, trying to merge two 3.0.3 forums.
    One is about 0.5Gb database, and another 2Mb data

both forums are running well separately.

I wish to merge smaller forum into the bigger.

Import is working, but, after import some users are merged without any order. Actually they are just mixed up. One with another. Its messing up everything.

I've tried to use assosiate by e-mail
    I've tried not to use it.

the same result. Some users are mixed up. The same users are mixed up all the time. I've checked - those users have different Ids and e-mail.

Please advise
    HELP!
    GoHa.Ru

You can associate the users before you do the actual import. It is one of the modules. You can also merge the users after the import.

Don't forget to update the counters, so the threads, forums info and postcount, usernames and titles are all updated and correctly showing.

Comment

It is 4r user in one forum, and 200 users in another.

How do you think, how long it will take manually assosiate all of them, and for every user check, if it is exists in both databses, find its ID..... Week? Month?

It is easy to merge diffrent users. I know.
      But I am speaking about opposite thing. Importer mixing up users.
      I have user JOE in forum 1
      And user HELGA in forum #2

After import, user 2 will be merfed into user 1, without any logic. Diffrenet e-mails, diffrent IDs... I did not made any associations, and just click on QUIT from the first associate page.

Why it is merging diffrent users??
      GoHa.Ru

Comment

Can I assume that you use the impex software to import from one vb into another?

Comment

Yes

Impex. Latest. Downloaded it just today.
          Also today's download of VB3.0.3 installation.
          Installed VB3.0.3 into the clear directory.
          etc
          followed instructions step by step.
          GoHa.Ru

Comment

Very strange, I don't know then. Sounds like a bug, only scott or jerry can look into this. You could start a new support ticket so we can assign this to one of them.

Comment

Ok. I made it.

Yes, it is a bug.

Bug description:
              During the import from vB 3.0.3 -> vB 3.0.3 (merged two vB3.0.3 forums), import utility (ImpEx) mixed up different acounts.
              Most probably, same bug may be found when import from other forums two. Read below, what may cause it.

Research:
              It wasn't my first import into that forum. Previously I have merged number of other forums. I was used ImpEx all the time.

When you finish merge, ImpEx does not remove all additional fields from the forum database. At least I dont see any controls, that alows to "FINISH" merge. Once you have clicked all "Start Modules" buttons, you just have nothing more to click, and there are no buttons like "Finish" or anyhting like that, to finalize import, and, probably, to removetemporary fields from database. See Attached image.

In the couple of tables of databse of main Forum I have found additional fields "imported...". That was a remains fo previous imports.

Workaround:
              I have checked all tables of the forum, and deleted all table fields, which field name was started from "imported" word. As a result, I was able to complete the import.

Founded bugs:
              1. ImpEx does not clean up databse, after import.
              2. ImpEx does not check for previous import's "remains", when starting next import.
              3. During the import, if there was some association by matching e-mail address, ImpEx is not adding posts numbers, does not update posts counters.
              4. You have to implement additional button, like "FINISH IMPORT" or something like that. Too many remains in database after import.

Please let IMPEX' developer know, about this issue.

Comments:
              Your code is very aggresive, and is not defensive at all. You suppose, that everything is always ok, and does not trying to assume, that there may be some differences (from the original version of db), in source databse. In my case, you AT LEAST have to show worning message, like "You still have a remains from previous import. Would you like to remove them before start next import?"

As soon as you allows hacks, and vB updates and Imports - you should always assume, that there ALWAYS WILL BE DIFFERENCES from the original version. And at least check for your own upgrades, hacks, imports etc. Check for known issues.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by goha; Fri 24 Sep '04, 4:32pm.
              GoHa.Ru

Comment

Please report any suspected bugs in the Bug Tracker:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=77
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Was there a bug, has it been dealt with?

I'm about to start testing a merge of three VB 3.0.3's and really don't want to proceed without some indication that any known bugs have been resolved.

Just a nod is all I need
                  London Fixed-gear and Single-speed

Comment

In post #7 I have described it.

If you've used ImPex for THIS forum before, u have to check all tables and manually delete all fields, where field name start from "imported".

There are no such field in original forum. ImpEx is creating and using this fields during the import.

After that I was able to import and sucessfully merge forums.

Do not forget to backup forum database
                    GoHa.Ru

Comment

To answer your claims.

1. ImpEx does not clean up databse, after import.
                      No, and it shouldn't this is a manual task that the admin has to perform as there can be a lot more dependants on an import than just the source data. ImpEx provides the tools for this though, so you don't have to edit the database manually.

2. ImpEx does not check for previous import's "remains", when starting next import.
                      Because of the nature of restarting modules this won't be done due to needing import id's. As for checking for restarted modules it does that with ever re-run.

3. During the import, if there was some association by matching e-mail address, ImpEx is not adding posts numbers, does not update posts counters.
                      This is a counter update that is run in the maintenance section. The functionality that allows an import to match users on email is to remove the manual task for people who have a lot of users to import and don't want to user module 002.

4. You have to implement additional button, like "FINISH IMPORT" or something like that. Too many remains in database after import.
                      It is there, though not as a single button, its never that easy, though the procedure is documented and supported by the relevant tools.

Your code is very aggresive, and is not defensive at all.
                      I disagree with you on many points in your comments, the whole point of the importer is to protect vBulletin from corrupt data being imported. The target of an import is ALWAYS a default vBulletin install and always will be, there can't be support for possiable hacks, as A) they arn't supported and B) the permutations are endless.

As for the code being aggressive, there is error checking on every single piece of data that is imported, that is the whole point of ImpExData->is_valid().

I can only assume from your comments and troubles you are having that you don't use any of the database cleaning in ImpEx and haven't read the HOWTO.

I would suggest reading the HOWTO before advising how to clean up the database and saying what has to be implemented, as its already there.

If there are bugs in the vB3 importer that is different, though to date I am un aware of any out standing ones.
                      I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Jerry,

I assume, that I've made correct fixes.

Thank you!!

P.S.
                        Can you please give direct URLs to mentioned documents?

P.P.S
                        you are absolutely right - I did not read mentioned info. May be because I did not found it? Believe me, i tried to find it.

Any future advise will be appreciated.

P.P.S.
                        the whole point of the importer is to protect vBulletin from corrupt data being imported
                        In many cases, your efforts lead to data corruption, as it was happen in my case... May be, not all my comments are so stupid?

No, and it shouldn't this is a manual task that the admin has to perform as there can be a lot more dependants on an import than just the source data. ImpEx provides the tools for this though, so you don't have to edit the database manually.
                        I will REALLY appreciate if you will point me to this tools. I just checked admincp, and sorry, I did not found it.

This is a counter update that is run in the maintenance section
                        Update counter will recount all posts, and will ruine real posts count, if I have already removed old topics... this does not works.

It is there, though not as a single button, its never that easy, though the procedure is documented and supported by the relevant tools.
                        Reeally sorry to bother you, but can you please give me the url, where it is described? May be I just seraching in wrong place, but I cannot find it.

Please adivse.
                        Last edited by goha; Tue 5 Oct '04, 3:58pm.
                        GoHa.Ru

Comment

The HOWTO is here :

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116398

The tool to clean up at the top of ever impex page, its the :

Code:
                          Database cleanup & restart
                          link. There is a little explanation on the page that follows.

Data corruption post import in the vast majority of cases comes from a broken session, or more than one import being performed with out the database being cleaned.

Updating the post count incrementally during an import would be another over head, though I can see a way of adding imported post counts to imported or associated users after an import is done, I'll try coding what I am thinking.
                          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

/bow

thank you.
                            GoHa.Ru

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X