No announcement yet.

Suggestions for Impex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure if ImpEx is capable of doing this or not and quite frankly, it's quicker to just post this than it is to check and I don't have much time at the moment. So I apologize if it is.

I may have to manage a 'large' vBulletin forum and I thought of an alternative to purging posts outright to keep the database size manageable would be to purchase a second vBulletin license then use ImpEX to import only posts in specific forums to keep important/useful information from being purged.

So this separate forum would serve as the archives for forums that get a lot of informational and useful posts.

Would it be possible to program in a feature where ImpEx only imports posts older than X days then I can perform a purge after it's done importing (locking the forum during so no new posts are made, of course).

Probably not easy to program it into every single version importer so how about just restricting it to vBulletin to vBulletin only, as long as it saves coding time. After all I am going to be paying quite a bit for two separate licenses of vBulletin and possibly more if I need to archive a lot!

Thanks for reading.

Comment

In relation to PHPBB imports:

I'd like to see some error checking BEFORE running the import users function. Specifically, a test of both the path given for Avatars and the .customavatar folder to insure that it is writable.

Currently, you can run that routine without any errors and not not sucessfully import any avatars. Which cause people to rerun the routine. Which causes a lot of other problems with duplicate members and etc.

Also, the clean up routines are confusing. I (and others) aren't sure which option they need exactly. But even when selecting the ones that look like they are going to undo everything, they don't really undo everything.

Comment

i'd like a dummy or test import facility where you can run through the entire import facility and see if it would generate errors and what not before you do a final real import.

the dummy would process the data but not write it into the vb DB.

Comment

Originally posted by hinch View Post
          i'd like a dummy or test import facility where you can run through the entire import facility and see if it would generate errors and what not before you do a final real import.

the dummy would process the data but not write it into the vb DB.
          Thats why you use a test install and database.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
            Thats why you use a test install and database.
            not everyone has that facility available though and as a case in point.

yesterday I had to do 4 test installs before I got impex to run the import without erroring out completely. because of it doing the test import prior to the final import, each time me just flushing the db tables empty, when I finally did the working import userid's started in the 3000 region as all the keys had incremented.

now i know its only a little niggle but this thread is asking for a suggestion and so i gave a very valid usability suggestion that would just make the whole system that much nicer.

Comment

You could have empted and restarted the innstall and impex. What good webhost doesn't give you more than a single database?

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                You could have empted and restarted the innstall and impex. What good webhost doesn't give you more than a single database?
                A lot actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                  A lot actually.
                  I did say good :P

Comment

pls add joomla converter to impex . i have an joomla site and i need to convert it to vbulletin

Comment

When importing, it currently shows the amount that it is, ie:

Code:
                      Importing 5000 Private message

How about it shows the total amount it has to import? Maybe even the estimated time remaining, based on an average?

When doing large imports, this would be extremely handy. Right now Impex is currently importing some private messages, and I've got no idea how many we actually have. Would be good to be able to figure out how long it's going to take..
                      Last edited by Stubbed; Tue 8 Jan '08, 4:35pm. Reason: BBCode Bung

Comment

I can put that on the TODO list.

It would be a running estimate that would get better working with the time taken for the past page loads, against the known total and the per page amount you are using.

To date I've always just run the module and checked the total time at the end.
                        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                          To date I've always just run the module and checked the total time at the end.
                          Yep, and after you've done one test import the total time it took would be your best indication, but when you're doing your first import, it can be a nail biting time on a large forum with no indication on how many records are remaining!

Cheers for taking me suggestion seriously

Comment

After taking your advice in the other thread, I would say that dupe checking should be disabled by default.

It has sped up the importing of private messages from phpBB2 messages by 500%, easily. It was taking maybe 4 or 5 minutes for each batch of 5000 to be imported, now each lot is done in well under a minute.

Would it not make sense to have it like some of the other things in vB "If you're having problems, try it this way" - etc.

*edit* - Also, how about while the import script is working, have it say "Working" as the first thing in the title bar, that way you wouldn't have to keep checking the window while it's importing, just look at the tab, or task bar?
                            Last edited by Stubbed; Tue 8 Jan '08, 7:10pm. Reason: Another suggestion...

Comment

Originally posted by Stubbed View Post
                              Would it not make sense to have it like some of the other things in vB "If you're having problems, try it this way" - etc.
                              Sites of your size are more the exception than the rule at the moment, so most people don't notice or accept the extra time as it's not hours, it's 2-3 mins etc.

Though I agree a "basic" and "advanced" configuration that allows easily turning off and on the major settings like that, is a good idea, and planned.

I think there will end up being two configs, that themselves can be change from defaults. One for speed, one for proved integrity.

Originally posted by Stubbed View Post
                              *edit* - Also, how about while the import script is working, have it say "Working" as the first thing in the title bar, that way you wouldn't have to keep checking the window while it's importing, just look at the tab, or task bar?
                              Now that I like, am looking at the best way to do that now.
                              I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Have added the title of the module now, so if you have it open in a tab in FireFox for example, you can see what model it's running. Once the "% done" is figure out, I'll put that in there as well.
                                I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X