Importing into a non-empty database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing into a non-empty database

... what happens if I import into a non empty database folks...?
    John

It depends on how your backup script was made and whether or not it will delete any existing tables.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Confused here Steve. What has the backup script got to do with using the ImpEx...? I have been working on a vB installation with a customised skin, portal and article added and am wondering if I can use this installation and db to Import into from phpBB?

There are a few fora, members and posts, but the format of the board in terms of other fora look nothing like the ones I use in my current phpBB dabatase. So I am wondering if it would be possioble to simply use this same vB MySQL dabatase to import into from my current live phpBB or does it have to be totally empty, default installation of vB (MySQL and files..)

Thanks
      John

Comment

Sorry, I missed the import part. What are you importing from and to?
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hi Steve - thanks for the prompt reply..

I currently have a phpBB board and want to migrate this into vB3.0.1

I have installed vB3 and have been testing my new custom skin on this installation and have made a few fora that I have used for posting issues/errors and design points for the skin developer to reply to. My current team of Moderators have also registered and have posted a few threads when they have also spotted issues etc.

I have modified the vB files/templates and they now look almost as I finally want them to so I'd love to be able to do the test ImpEx into this instance of vB and MySQL. I have run a sample ImpEx a few months ago when I first got vB and it worked fine, but that was to an empty MySQL db and fresh install of vB. What I need to know is am I able to import into this MySQL and instance of vB.

Hope that's clear...

Thanks
          John

Comment

You could run a test on your PC if you download mySQL, Apache and php. Then if it works you are good to go.

Comment

I don't have that running on my home pc I'm afraid so cannot check out this way. With help, I am going to make a copy of the MySQL db, empty the data leaving table and structure intact, then try the ImpEx module.

Hopefully (logically) this should work...
              John

Comment

You can import from phpBB into vBulletin 3.0.x

You can import into a fresh vb3 installation or into an existing vb3 installation.

Comment

An import will not change anything that is in a vB3 database so it doesn't matter if there is data there or not.

The only way in which it can is if you associate import users with existing users then run the import user module twice, that will delete the users that you associated with during the cleanup before it runs the 2nd time.
                  I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X