This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last import before a re-release of a site

OK, I have some questions. What I've done is install vB and import everything from my old phpbb so i could set up usergroup permissions, forum permissions, smilies, avatars, make sure PMs work, and all the users get imported, etc.

Now that everything worked and I've been editing the settings (permissions) of the forums and usergroups, and my users have still been using and posting on phpbb I want to just re-import the things that would have changed.

1.) Users: some new users joined since i imported.
    Do I just go into the Import/export and redo 003? Will it re-import all and overwrite all old ones (i.e. I'm not going to get duplicates, right?)?

2.) Posts: obviously people have been posting since i imported.
    Do I just redo step 009 in import/export? Will it re-import all posts and overwrite all the old ones?

3.) Threads: new threads have come up
    Do I just redo step 007 in import/export? Will it re-import all threads and overwrite all the old ones?

4.) Polls: new polls have been posted
    Do I just redo step 010 in import/export? Will it re-import all polls and overwrite all the old ones?

5.) Private Messages: new PMs have been sent and received
    Do I just redo step 011 in import/export? Will it re-import all PMs and overwrite all the old ones?

For any of these, will I need to run SQL queries to clear that specific part of the database before re-importing? (To avoid getting duplicates, or for whatever reason)

Will any of these importers be able to just get the new data, so they would just be "updating" from the phpbb database instead of re-writing everything i've already imported?

My intention is to install vBadvanced portal system, will this interfere with the re-importing? (I know you don't support hacks, but could you just offer a guess?)

What I want to stay away from is having to shut everything down and then having to install, import, and change everything as fast as I can in one sitting while my users wait for me.

url: www.observedtrials.net
    phpbb forum: www.observedtrials.net/forum
    vb forum: www.observedtrials.net/vb

Thanks for any help offered guys

Matt
    Last edited by BeasTboyz; Wed 26th May '04, 9:41am.
    vBulletin Staff > *
    vBulletin > *

1.) If it finds a duplicate user name it will append "imported_" to the beginning of the user name.

2 + 3 + 4 + 5.) An import will never overwrite any data in a target data so no, though running the module again will delete all the currently imported posts so it will re-import all of them.

For any of these, will I need to run SQL queries to clear that specific part of the database before re-importing? (To avoid getting duplicates, or for whatever reason)
    Nope, impex does that, it will delete everything from a module on a retry, best thing to do is run it as a test and see what happens.

Will any of these importers be able to just get the new data, so they would just be "updating" from the phpbb database instead of re-writing everything i've already imported?
    Nope, thats a merge not an import, which is a diffrent kettle of fish altogether.

My intention is to install vBadvanced portal system, will this interfere with the re-importing? (I know you don't support hacks, but could you just offer a guess?)
    Depends if it alters the dB schema.
    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry
      1.) If it finds a duplicate user name it will append "imported_" to the beginning of the user name.
      So, is there any easy way, inside of the vbulletin admin control panel to go through and delete all names that start with "imported_"?

2 + 3 + 4 + 5.) An import will never overwrite any data in a target data so no, though running the module again will delete all the currently imported posts so it will re-import all of them.
      So basically what you're saying is that there won't be any duplicates, it will clear any information in those databases and import all new data?

Nope, impex does that, it will delete everything from a module on a retry, best thing to do is run it as a test and see what happens.

Nope, thats a merge not an import, which is a diffrent kettle of fish altogether.

Depends if it alters the dB schema.
      Wow Jerry, thanks for such a great reply. I know it probably took you a while to read my entire post and answer it, but it is REALLY... MUCH appreciated. You guys here at vB are great!

Matt
      vBulletin Staff > *
      vBulletin > *

Comment

vBulletin version 3 comes with a default option to merge user accounts.
        If you don't associate usernames during import, then duplicate usernames end up with importex_ prefix. After the import you can goto the admin control panel > users > merge accounts > and enter the source : imported_userX, destination : userX and merge them.

Comment

So I would have to do this one user at a time?

Thanks team

Matt
          vBulletin Staff > *
          vBulletin > *

Comment

I don't know this importer, but if it has a module to associate users, you don't have to do this one at a time. You can (during import) associate the users, it will list like 25 to 50 or so per page. But, those you missed, yes .. manually merge them one at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by BeasTboyz
              So, is there any easy way, inside of the vbulletin admin control panel to go through and delete all names that start with "imported_"?
              You can do this if you want to directly run SQL against the database ?

So basically what you're saying is that there won't be any duplicates, it will clear any information in those databases and import all new data?
              Re-running a module will clear all the previously imported data for that module, though you will need to re-run the dependant modules to ensure that all the id's link up.

Wow Jerry, thanks for such a great reply. I know it probably took you a while to read my entire post and answer it, but it is REALLY... MUCH appreciated. You guys here at vB are great!

Matt
              Your welcome
              I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

What is the SQL query you talk about Jerry?

I wanted to let you know that when importing users on top of other users, My Database gets totally wrecked. My _user table drops to 1kB and I can no longer log in. Its as though it deletes all current users and then doesn't re-import. It doesn't matter whether I choose to clear the database before importing or not. Any suggestions?
                vBulletin Staff > *
                vBulletin > *

Comment

What is the SQL query you talk about Jerry?

I wanted to let you know that when importing users on top of other users, My Database gets totally wrecked. My _user table drops to 1kB and I can no longer log in. Its as though it deletes all current users and then doesn't re-import. It doesn't matter whether I choose to clear the database before importing or not. Any suggestions?
                  Before we go down the running SQL against the database route, are you sure that there are duplicated users with the imported_ prefix ? if you have re-run the import users module it will delete any previous imported users.

Which could explain the not being able to log in issue , if you assosiate a user with the default vB3 admin user, that vb3 admin users gains an importuserid, so that the threads, posts, PM's etc can be assosiated with it, when you re-run the import user it deletes any user with an importuserid that isn't 0.

This is a bug, but a rare one for a final import of a board once you have been through a few test runs.
                  I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Before we go down the running SQL against the database route, are you sure that there are duplicated users with the imported_ prefix ?
                    I'm pretty sure there aren't any duplicated users actually. I think I posted that message from work, before I had the chance to test re-importing users. I don't think any users are being re-imported.

What you explained is basically what I figured. I'm getting deleted and then can't log back in. But I also can't log back in with my other username and technically, both should be imported if I'm importing again. I don't believe any names are being re-imported, I think it's clearing that DB (_user) and then nothing is being imported, because technically, if it was reimporting, I'd be able to log in with at least one of the names, even if it isn't an admin account. This would also explain the 1KB size for a user database that is supposed to contain 2100 users.

I know this is a rare situation (what, am I the only one that wants to minimize downtime? ), but can I expect the vB team to correct the issue, and if so, is there an estimated amount of time this would take? I am willing to do testing for you, and if need be, you can do testing on my board (as long as you don't screw with my phpbb database ).

Alternatively what I thought was that if this was the only thing that wouldn't re-import properly, I could just turn off user registrations on my current site and then go for broke getting the new site ready and switch it over as fast as possible. I would like to get the site moved over to vB within a week, and preferrably by midnight Monday since its a 3 day weekend here in the states.

Thanks guys

Matt
                    Last edited by BeasTboyz; Fri 28th May '04, 4:26am.
                    vBulletin Staff > *
                    vBulletin > *

Comment

If you import admin users then delete them of course you won't be able to log in as them.

You will be able to log in as the admin user that you installed the board as unless you associate a user with the vB admin then re-run the import , but don't go through with it after it has cleared the users. That's the only way I can think of fully emptying the database unless you are access the dB directly.

I don't understand what "issue" you are experiencing that you think should be corrected.

With a board with 2100 users, you are talking minuets for a full import I'd say, depending on the power of your server.
                      I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Yeah, its about 5 minutes for an import, but there are a lot of other things I must do. user/usergroup permissions aren't set properly, ranks aren't imported properly, forum permissions aren't imported properly, banned users/IPs aren't imported properly, etc

I then have to install a portal and move over all of my sites content to the portal system.

If you import admin users then delete them of course you won't be able to log in as them.
                        I don't know where you got this idea. I am re-importing users and you said that any duplicate users would have imported_ appended to their name. Therefore the software should not be deleting any names, and I sure am not doing it. And don't say that I said I am clearing the database before importing, because I've tried it both ways and clearly stated that earlier.

You will be able to log in as the admin user that you installed the board as unless you associate a user with the vB admin then re-run the import , but don't go through with it after it has cleared the users. That's the only way I can think of fully emptying the database unless you are access the dB directly.
                        I have no idea what you're saying here. Are you saying I can't ever associate my username on the phpbb with the admin account I created when installing vB, or just the second and subsequent times I would re-import users?

Don't go through with what after it has cleared the users?
                        vBulletin Staff > *
                        vBulletin > *

Comment

And don't say that I said I am clearing the database before importing, because I've tried it both ways and clearly stated that earlier.
                          I have tried several times to explain what happens.

I have no idea what you're saying here.
                          Then I will stop.
                          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Well, Jerry, lets just go over what you've told me will happen when importing users.

if you have re-run the import users module it will delete any previous imported users.
                            when you re-run the import user it deletes any user with an importuserid that isn't 0.
                            So the first two quotes are a complete contradiction. The third quote is similar to the second quote and in the fourth quote you seem to be saying that any reimport of users will delete all current users, thereby deleting the admin account as well.

I don't care if you don't know what you're talking about, but don't talk down to me like I'm an idiot. I am trying to tell you what is going on when I reimport users. You obviously didn't know what would happen during a reimport of users when you first replied, you then changed your mind about what would happen and told me something completely different.

Then I will stop
                            I guess you might as well. This explanation is not even remotely coherent:

Don't go through with what after what has cleared the users? I couldn't possibly clear the users and then go through with a reimport if my admin account doesn't even exist anymore

I guess I don't expect any clear explanations from a Brit... are you guys required to attend school past 2nd grade?
                            vBulletin Staff > *
                            vBulletin > *

Comment

That last comment and the attitude it represents was totally uncalled for. If you cannot treat our staff with respect, then please [email protected] for a refund.
                              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X