Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-import questions...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pre-import questions...

    In preparation for my Import and Migration to vB3 Gold, are there any steps I need to take, or criteria I need to meet before I am able to start the import process...? I obviously want to ensure I have everything ready prior to the script being ready.

    Some specific questions I have are:

    Do the vB3 files need to reside in the same account/domain web space as my current forum software but obviously in a different directory...? i.e.

    vB3 = mydomain/vBforums/all the vB code
    other = mydomain/otherforums/all the other forum code

    What about the underlying database...? On the domain I wish to use vB3 Gold, I have 2 MySQL databases. Both are used - 1 for my existing forum. Do I need a new database, or will the tables and schema for vB3 Gold be created on the MySQL database used for the existing forum...?

    What happens to the old forum tables...? nothing I assume?

    Hope I'm not causing any frustration with all these questions...
    John

  • #2
    Originally posted by TheMusicMan
    Do the vB3 files need to reside in the same account/domain web space as my current forum software but obviously in a different directory...? i.e.

    vB3 = mydomain/vBforums/all the vB code
    other = mydomain/otherforums/all the other forum code
    Yes. The vBulletin files should be on the same server but in a different directory, unless you can connect to your MySQL server from outside of localhost in which case you can get away with having vBulletin on a different server.

    Originally posted by TheMusicMan
    What about the underlying database...? On the domain I wish to use vB3 Gold, I have 2 MySQL databases. Both are used - 1 for my existing forum. Do I need a new database, or will the tables and schema for vB3 Gold be created on the MySQL database used for the existing forum...?
    I recommend you give vBulletin its own database, but it is not required. You can specify a table prefix in the vBulletin config.php file so the table names will not conflict.

    Originally posted by TheMusicMan
    What happens to the old forum tables...? nothing I assume?
    Nothing. The old forum tables are read from but not modified in any way.

    If you install vBulletin in the same database as your other forum, be careful not to select the option to wipe the database when you start the installation!

    Comment


    • #3
      OK thanks for this information.

      Should I get my vB3 theme/templates sorted prior to importing from phpBB2 or should I wait to do this until everything is brought in...?
      John

      Comment


      • #4
        You can get your vB3 style sorted before importing. The importer just adds data to your existing vB3 installation.

        Comment

        widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X