Disappointed in Dallas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointed in Dallas

First I wish to be clear, I do not feel I was in any way cheated or deceived by vBulletin or IB not even by my high school guidance counselor.
    Admittedly, I didn't do sufficient research and didn't have a clear understanding of what it was exactly I was buying.

I bought the package on Saturday morning. After that was when I realized I would need SSL. No problem, I logged into my host dashboard and within the hour I had my very own private IP and SSL certificate.

It was a minor, largely self inflicted, struggle to configure and install Facebook Apps. Fortunately I was able to muddle through it aided in no small part by reading threads in this forum.

As it stands right now, I have vB Facebook Apps up and running and doing everything it should do. Therein lies my disappointment. What is it supposed to do again? My forum has a modest Facebook page, only a few hundred fans but a loyal following none the less. I fantasized that by virtue of vb FB Apps my page would now sport some vB look/feel/functionality. As near as I have determined, the most I can hope for is an icon on my page that links to my app. Is this correct? Considering the forums already had Facebook Connect, I'm struggling to understand how this is helps. Isn't that essentially the same as linking to the actual forum?

At this point I guess I'm all in but so far the shake's not worth the squeeze. Am I missing something fundamental? Is my lack of Facebook understanding the culprit? Should I redirect my forum URL to the vB Facebook App?

Disappointed in Dallas

Check out the vbulletin app on Facebook. Yours should be similar.

https://apps.facebook.com/vbulletincom/
    UniteTheCows - File Sharing & Digital Media Resource

Comment

Yes, exactly like that. It is functioning for me properly. I swear I didn't start the thread to complain about the product.

The problem is I thought (fantasized) I would display my app on my page nestled in there with the all already familiar stuff on my page. I'm trying to figure out how salvage the deal and make the best of it. It may reveal itself to be the panacea, I just don't understand what to do with it now that I have it.

Comment

Frankly the main focus of the vB Facebook app seems to be to drive your traffic either to Facebook or to Internet Brands' own forums using the hated "Friend's Forums" feature.

Still not sure why they developed this paid add-on that not one single person seems to have ever asked for.
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

I didn't ask for it but I've wished for more and better vB/Facebook integration. I think this app is very cool, I just don't know what to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
            Frankly the main focus of the vB Facebook app seems to be to drive your traffic either to Facebook or to Internet Brands' own forums using the hated "Friend's Forums" feature.

Still not sure why they developed this paid add-on that not one single person seems to have ever asked for.
            Please don't add to discussions you don't know anything about.

1) I have never seen an Internet Brands Forum on any site's Friend's Forums block.

2) It can be disabled quite easily.

3) Doesn't drive any traffic to Facebook because anyone using the App would have already had a Facebook account. In fact it allows you to pull users into your community from Facebook by having users post and it gets put on their walls. When people go to the posts, it takes them to your app where they have to register on your site to participate in your forums. They view your ads.

Doesn't matter if people asked for it. It is selling so people are seeing some need for it and quite a few sites are using it successfully. If it isn't for you then don't buy it.

If you're not going to use it then please stop making our jobs difficult by trying to take support threads off topic with uninformed complaints.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by warnmar10 View Post
              I didn't ask for it but I've wished for more and better vB/Facebook integration. I think this app is very cool, I just don't know what to do with it.
              Facebook only allows you to add a tab on your Page that links to an App. It doesn't integrate it completely into the Page. There should be a Sticky in this forum on how to do this. From there, you would need to promote the App as a new interface into your sites. This means your users don't have to leave Facebook to contribute to your community.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                This means your users don't have to leave Facebook to contribute to your community.
                Do the contributions made on Facebook show up on your actual forum? Can CMS articles, blogs, etc. be displayed on the facebook app?

Comment

Originally posted by The Wedge View Post
                  Do the contributions made on Facebook show up on your actual forum? Can CMS articles, blogs, etc. be displayed on the facebook app?
                  Yes and Yes.

The post below is made from the Facebook App for this site.

Wayne Luke

Comment

I am making this reply here via the Facebook App.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Actually this discussion helped me. I was having a hard time figuring out what the facebook app did. For some reason I could not grasp it either. So thanks for the discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                        Please don't add to discussions you don't know anything about.

1) I have never seen an Internet Brands Forum on any site's Friend's Forums block.

2) It can be disabled quite easily
                        Right, but they don't make it a tick-box option when you do the app building wizard. So how do I remove the Friends forums thing? I didn't pay money to promote other forums tbh...
                        xlguy

Comment

Originally posted by xlguy View Post
                          Right, but they don't make it a tick-box option when you do the app building wizard. So how do I remove the Friends forums thing? I didn't pay money to promote other forums tbh...
                          It is set to become an option - http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBF-469.

There are a number of threads in this forum on how to disable it. One such thread is: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...=1#post2241026

Wayne Luke

Comment