Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has installing the Facebook App increased your forum's pageviews and activity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bgobsession
    replied
    Read some of the older threads here. I invested in the Facebook App 6 months ago, even went to the trouble of customizing it extensively. It's beautiful. And nearly unused. The whole concept is flawed in my opinion. Couple that with the fact that the 'Like' functionality can't even pull a thread title or blurb (you 'Like' a thread and all it does is show that you've liked your own facebook app). No offense to the staff here, but from everything I've seen, they realize it's a turkey and seriously flawed and have more or less given up even giving meaningful responses. Despite numerous complaints about how hard it is to fulfill the app's primary promise, to promote your vbulletin forum, there haven't been any upgrades, improvements, or fixes offered. Don't waste your time. I know this sounds harsh, but I never complain and this app is a total bust - that's just the way it is. And to answer your original question - not only have I not seen traffic increases due to the app, my members refuse to even use it.

Leave a comment:

• lifanovsky
    replied
    Facebook app was a great disappoinment to me. Just a waste of money and effort. Never skyrocketed pageviews, and was so slow that I was hardly able to use it on facebook. And SSL also takes some server resources too by the way..

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    A large number of people don't see the point of the Facebook app to be honest. Its design appears to drive two behaviours: encouraging even more of your members to stay in facebook, and then sending the ones who don't onto competing forums.

For this reason I wouldn't dream of installing it.

Leave a comment:

• mlb
    replied
    Originally posted by Chunky Monkey View Post
    Hi everyone,

Can those of you who have installed the Facebook App tell us if you've seen your forum's pageviews and activity increase as a result? We're thinking about installing the Facebook App because we like the idea of our forum's content and links to it shared throughout Facebook, but aren't sure whether we should install it.

It already seems like an uphill battle to maintain an active community in the shadow of Facebook, the 800+ million user gorilla, and if the Facebook App allows Facebook Users to effectively participate on the forum via Facebook, we are worried about the Facebook App eliminating the reason our existing users, who are undoubtedly also on Facebook, visit our forum directly.

It seems the Facebook App could be good at increasing the content on a forum since it would effectively make the forum instantly available to so many more people, but we work on our forums for ad revenue, so if it were to ultimately reduce pageviews (by encouraging everyone to access the forum through Facebook where our ads wouldn't appear) despite increasing activity then it presumably wouldn't be good for us.

Also, as for increasing activity, since people using the Facebook App are already on Facebook and participating on the forum through it, we are concerned that there is a high risk of people deciding to simply take their discussion "offline" to their walls or any one of what are probably hundreds of thousands of Facebook Groups that are instantly available to them on Facebook.

I remember hearing that the Facebook App would promote other vBulletin forums that use the Facebook App as part of a network of forums. The last thing we want is to have other forums promoted to our users because even off topic conversation is valuable in that it builds community and keeps people coming back. Does anyone know whether the Facebook App does somehow promote or suggest other forums to your users if they access your forum through it?

Finally, are the quality of posts made through the Facebook App as high as those made directly on your forum? Maybe I am attributing too much credence to the stereotypes I hear about Facebook communication, but if Facebook users are used to wall posts like "ZOMG, I'm bored", "Yay Friday!!!", "So happy!" - "Why?" - "New puppy." - "Nice!", do they end up making posts of a similar caliber that have a tendency to diminish the value of forum content?

Or has installing the Facebook App helped your forum's pageviews and activity skyrocket? Please let us know so we can decide whether to use it.

Thank you for your time.
    No one answered the bold-face question above - and that is what I would really like to know.

I was pretty excited about the FB app - and then this morning, I dug into the blog, and developed identical concerns as the original poster here. My Midlife Forum is monetized by a combination of AdSense ads, affiliate ads, and privately-sold ads ... and in the blog here it states that AdSense is not supported ... which means a chunk of my revenue would disappear by using the FB app.

I'm also not excited about a result being the promotion of other forums, the strong potential for users taking their conversation offline to their FB walls, etc.

There is an vB Developer answer above that states, "if the vB social network widget is undesirable, there are users on this forum who can help you remove it. (We do not support this, YMMV)" ... well that's not good enough for me ... it should be supported by vB, and not left to me to find "users who can help me". [Oh regarding that same developer below - his answer about monetization is incomplete - because AdSense is not supported through the FB App.]

I just don't see any advantages to using this FB app. If I am missing the boat, can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks!!!

Leave a comment:

• stevectaylor
    replied
    I would imagine that this would depend on the topic of your forum.

Leave a comment:

• Kyle Furlong
    replied
    Two quick things, first, you can monetize your Facebook app just like your forum, second, if the vB social network widget is undesirable, there are users on this forum who can help you remove it. (We do not support this, YMMV)

Leave a comment:

• Has installing the Facebook App increased your forum's pageviews and activity?

Hi everyone,

Can those of you who have installed the Facebook App tell us if you've seen your forum's pageviews and activity increase as a result? We're thinking about installing the Facebook App because we like the idea of our forum's content and links to it shared throughout Facebook, but aren't sure whether we should install it.

It already seems like an uphill battle to maintain an active community in the shadow of Facebook, the 800+ million user gorilla, and if the Facebook App allows Facebook Users to effectively participate on the forum via Facebook, we are worried about the Facebook App eliminating the reason our existing users, who are undoubtedly also on Facebook, visit our forum directly.

It seems the Facebook App could be good at increasing the content on a forum since it would effectively make the forum instantly available to so many more people, but we work on our forums for ad revenue, so if it were to ultimately reduce pageviews (by encouraging everyone to access the forum through Facebook where our ads wouldn't appear) despite increasing activity then it presumably wouldn't be good for us.

Also, as for increasing activity, since people using the Facebook App are already on Facebook and participating on the forum through it, we are concerned that there is a high risk of people deciding to simply take their discussion "offline" to their walls or any one of what are probably hundreds of thousands of Facebook Groups that are instantly available to them on Facebook.

I remember hearing that the Facebook App would promote other vBulletin forums that use the Facebook App as part of a network of forums. The last thing we want is to have other forums promoted to our users because even off topic conversation is valuable in that it builds community and keeps people coming back. Does anyone know whether the Facebook App does somehow promote or suggest other forums to your users if they access your forum through it?

Finally, are the quality of posts made through the Facebook App as high as those made directly on your forum? Maybe I am attributing too much credence to the stereotypes I hear about Facebook communication, but if Facebook users are used to wall posts like "ZOMG, I'm bored", "Yay Friday!!!", "So happy!" - "Why?" - "New puppy." - "Nice!", do they end up making posts of a similar caliber that have a tendency to diminish the value of forum content?

Or has installing the Facebook App helped your forum's pageviews and activity skyrocket? Please let us know so we can decide whether to use it.

Thank you for your time.