Attachments not showing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attachments not showing

We just began having issues with broken attachments. On about 50% of them, we are getting the error message: Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator.

We've tried rebuilding the attachments, tried changing the Image processor to GD, all the things the forum search suggested and we still can't get them to display. I am a little confused on checking the file's existence as the image files are currently stored in the database.

Using a particular thread as an example, some of the initial images appear, some of the later images appear but we get the error message on a bunch of the images in the middle of the thread.

Any ideas on how to correct this?

We are running vB 4.2.25, PHP 7.1.33

Thanks

Paul

Are you storing images in the file system or the database? You can see this under Attachments → Attachment Storage Type.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      Are you storing images in the file system or the database? You can see this under Attachments → Attachment Storage Type.
      Wayne, the files are stored in the database.

Comment

Is the information actually there?

Click on the broken attachment and it should have something like attachid or attachmentid in the URL. Take that number and then run this query:

SELECT filedata FROM filedata WHERE filedataid = (SELECT filedataid FROM attachment WHERE attachmentid=XX)

XX should equal the attachmentid in the URL.
        If you use a table prefix in your /includes/config.php then you will need to specify this in the table names. These appear after the FROM keyword. So FROM filedata would have the table name of filedata.

If the data is there, you should get a screen full of seemingly random data. If nothing is returned then the most likely issue is that your table "crashed" and needed to be repaired. Often these repairs will remove corrupted data.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

No message - found how to set my query permissions
          Last edited by gatewaycobraclub; Tue 23 Nov '21, 9:48am.

Comment

No table prefix - Ran the query and no results. Will try a repair. Is there a particular repair tool in Maintenance or should I go to PHPAdmin?

I ran a database repair and optimize from vB. Using PHPMyAdmin, I checked the attachment folder and one of the offending attachments doesn't appear in the database

? ? ?
            Last edited by gatewaycobraclub; Tue 23 Nov '21, 10:03am.

Comment

A repair isn't going to replace missing data. That isn't what the MYSQL tool does. It rebuilds indexes with the data existing within the database. Unfortunately, if the data is there the only way to restore it is to edit the content and upload the attachment again.

I am not sure why you're checking an attachment folder if attachments are stored in the database. vBulletin won't use a folder in this state.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment