Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to configure mail server on another server

Hi,
    I configured my website with 2 vps's, one for website and the other for mail server.
    In the webserver I have configure for connect to mail server and all mail are send with ip mail server, but the mails send vbulletin aren't send, I configured with smtp, when I try to send email, or not appear any error but not send, or appears that can't connect and at the end the error line indicate a one file and line, is very quickly, I don't have time for made screenshoot of the error.
    The mail server VPS is that before this I was hosted the site, and not change any, the server work fine.

Any iddea?

Thanks and regards.
    Last edited by gnrx; Sun 1 Nov '20, 4:39pm.

I update the post.

Comment

Update, is strange, before the change (for two vps) all work fine, but now, the mail not work:
      I have configured in one vps my webserver, configured for connect to the other vps that is mail server, also have the same domain, but dns and mx records on webservers point to vps mail server.
      I have configured, in vbulletin all like before, and now, can't send emails.
      SMTP: mail.mydomain.com
      Port: I try with 465 and 567
      I try with SSL, TLS always have error, if this is in blank, no error but not send.

The error that I have with ssl is:

PHP Warning - fsockopen: unable to connect to ssl://mail.mydomain.com.465 (connection refused) in .../includes/class_mail.php on line 766

I have with this 2 or 3 days, and not view how resolved this issue...

Thanks in advance!

Comment

The server isn't allowing a connection with the information you provided. Hostname, Port, Username, Password, and Encryption type are all required to match exactly. You will need to obtain the correct information from the Server Administrator.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Hello, first of all, thank you for your answer.
          I do not quite understand very well, the data that you indicate, Hostname, Port, Username, Password, and Encryption I have put them exactly (I have put the mail server data in webserver), instead of putting mail.mydominio.com I have tried also with hostname. In the configuration part of vbulletin regarding the mail, we cannot put more, is it correct?
          Thanks and regards!

Comment

Originally posted by gnrx View Post
            Hello, first of all, thank you for your answer.
            I do not quite understand very well, the data that you indicate, Hostname, Port, Username, Password, and Encryption I have put them exactly (I have put the mail server data in webserver), instead of putting mail.mydominio.com I have tried also with hostname. In the configuration part of vbulletin regarding the mail, we cannot put more, is it correct?
            Thanks and regards!
            We have no way of knowing. Only your host can provide the information.
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post

We have no way of knowing. Only your host can provide the information.
              My VPS are self managed by my self, I know all this details of hostname, username, port...etc...

Comment

PHP Warning - fsockopen: unable to connect to ssl://mail.mydomain.com.465 (connection refused) in .../includes/class_mail.php on line 766
                The connection is being refused. one of the variables that I stated are not correct for your server. Since you are the server administrator, you will need to make sure that your server supports SMTP connections with your Mail Server. This will probably require googling the error and digging into the server configuration files via the command line.

We have no idea what software you're using, what the values are, how you have generated your certificates for security, what your firewall settings are, etc... As an experienced server administrator, you know more about your specific configuration than we would ever know.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Yes, I have all that data, software, firewall, configurations ... even disabling both firewalls I always get the same error.

Experienced would not tell me, you never know enough, something as simple as a mail server ... and it took 3 days and there is no way it works ...

I published here when I got a point that, I don't understand what happens, I know that vbulletin does not allow working with the database on another server, and after writing here I saw that it was a "silly" question because the mail does, if it allows, "googling "The question in this case lies in configuring the gmail, which I understand may be different, but an email from my domain ...

I start to think that the problem is that the two VPS have the same domain and "something" crosses them (for thinking something ...)

Comment

You can use a database on a different server as long as that server allows remote MySQL connections. This site uses a database on a server different from the web servers. You can use SMTP email servers on different servers provided the connection is allowed. All of the vBulletin Cloud sites do this. To be honest, vBulletin doesn't actually care where the database server or the SMTP server is located. The connections are made via PHP and the networking system above vBulletin. It just sends out a command to connect and then PHP will tell it if it was successful or not. PHP is limited by your operating system and web server configuration.

Try using the mail server's IP address to connect instead of a domain name.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thanks for your reply Wayne,

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                      You can use a database on a different server as long as that server allows remote MySQL connections. This site uses a database on a server different from the web servers. You can use SMTP email servers on different servers provided the connection is allowed. All of the vBulletin Cloud sites do this. To be honest, vBulletin doesn't actually care where the database server or the SMTP server is located. The connections are made via PHP and the networking system above vBulletin. It just sends out a command to connect and then PHP will tell it if it was successful or not. PHP is limited by your operating system and web server configuration.

I was thinking, erroneously, that it could not connect to a remote database, if possible, maybe it will, although I have to solve the mail problem first.

I understand everything you tell me, that's why I'm surprised that I can't connect, I'll take your last line where you say that the problem may reside in php, I'll review that more thoroughly, although the ideas begin to run out on me

I have managed to send, through port 25 and not encryption (not ssl or tls) but to a user with an email account of the same domain as my website (to my user specifically), if I send to a gmail user, I will not It arrives (not spam or anything), but there was one thing that caught my attention and that does worry me:
                      In the header of the mail, it indicates, mail received by hostname xxx (the hostname of my mail server) but instead it indicates sent by ip xxx (the ip of my webserver), and that is exactly what I do not want to leave. I do not want the ip of the webserver to appear, for that reason I divided into two servers, one for web, another for mail, so that the ip that sends the mails and is seen in the header is the ip of the mail server.
                      This is what worries me the most ... because the connectivity with the mail server, sooner or later, I will solve it.

I have tried inserting the direct ip instead of the mail server (the name of the server) and indicating the ip exactly the same thing happens to me.

Like always, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

Wayne Luke, I can solved this, not the problem with the config...like I was contract a new VPS...problem with my provider...

About remote connections...fantastic... I don't know for what reasson I was think that isn't possible...in this lasts days, like now have 3 servers for the site, I configured mysql in other server than them main server.
                        For this, in config.php file, I was changed, in Master database server, I was change the "localhost" for the ip of my mysql server (I was configured for mysql server accept this connection).
                        Fantastic!
                        But...I view this in config.php:
                        Code:
                        /* #### SLAVE DATABASE CONFIGURATION ####
                        If you have multiple database backends, this is the information for your slave
                        server. If you are not 100% sure you need to fill in this information,
                        do not change any of the values here. */
                        $config['SlaveServer']['servername'] = '';
                        $config['SlaveServer']['port'] = 3306;
                        $config['SlaveServer']['username'] = '';
                        $config['SlaveServer']['password'] = '';
                        $config['SlaveServer']['usepconnect'] = 0;
                        Slave database? Hum...very interesant...but this...can you solved my doubt? This function is for, one master database, and other for slave, this slave is replitacion of master database?

Thanks and regards!

Comment

The "slave" database is indeed a replication of the master. This would generally not be done on a "localhost" but when MySQL is on two or more separate machines. You can run one or more slave databases for reading information on large sites. All data would be written to the master and then MySQL replicates behind the scenes to other servers in the cluster. Implementing this and maintaining this setup is considered advanced. Due to potential read/write latency issues, the usefulness may vary.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Hi Wayne,
                            Sorry for delay in my reply.
                            Yes, from what I have read it is, mysql master in one and the slave in another, being able to be used both for backup and for, in case of large sites and an advanced configuration for it, to be able to "balance" and configure reads in one and another. When the slave "falls" for whatever reason, a record remains and when she is online again, she replicates from where she left off.
                            At the moment, my site is not that big, although I have noticed an improvement in the load on the server dedicating a single server to mysql and the other to apache. I have noticed that connection latency, but it is not considerably significant.
                            Thanks for the clarification, I did not know I could do it with vbulletin, perhaps when the database grows more I will consider it, for now, having a server for mysql and another for apache, I have noticed a lot of improvement in server load.

Comment

The instructions on database replication can be found here: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6...ion-howto.html

I don't think most vBulletin sites actually need this or think it would provide a performance boost unless you manage your own servers and they are on their own network switch. Certainly if you have thousands of visitors online at a time, it might be worth looking into. Otherwise, you'll probably get more performance with multiple web servers and a single database server in the background (still on the same network switch).

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X