Wrong username or password. Maximum login quota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Wrong username or password. Maximum login quota

I have one user that is a supermod. He can log into his forum account but when he tries to do any moderation and is prompted for the modcp login, he gets the above error message. I reset his password and was able to log in as him and login to the modcp, but when he changed his password, he got the error again.

On a related note, what determines the cp username and password? I login to the forum with my email, but somehow the admin cp uses my forum username to log in. Using 4.2.5

The CP username and password are the same ad the forum username and password.

Check Supermoderator permissions at AdminCP >> Usergroups >> Usergroup Manager

But why does he need to log in to the ModCP at all? He should be able to do all he needs to do from the forum front end.
    Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
    Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

Comment

Originally posted by djbaxter View Post
      The CP username and password are the same ad the forum username and password.
      That's what I would hope, but my username is different. If I try to login to the admin cp with my email, it fails. I have to use my forum name.

Originally posted by djbaxter View Post
      Check Supermoderator permissions at AdminCP >> Usergroups >> Usergroup Manager

But why does he need to log in to the ModCP at all? He should be able to do all he needs to do from the forum front end.
      This problem just started. I didn't make any changes to the usergroup and its just the one mod. He isn't trying to log into the cp, but if you want to delete a forum post/thread, the forums asks for you cp password. This is when he gets the error.

Comment

He just said that he was able to log in if he let the browser fill it in, instead of typing it in. He was able to verify that the cp password is different from the forum password. So vBulletin must be storing two different login info. This is similar to my problem, only the username is out of sync. The question is how to sync the cp with the forum login id?

Comment

vBulletin 4 does not have the ability to accept login with email, so this must be a third party add on. It is quite likely that any issues are coming from that. Start by disabling it and see if that helps the situation.

Also users have only one password. There is absolutely no separate password in vBulletin for the moderator control panel. So it's either a third party add-on, or possibly you have a 'folder protection' password set using .htccess or your server control panel. The latter would usually take the form of a hard pop-up box rather than a login form in the software.

The final point I would make is that if only one single user is experiencing problems, the issue is with their local machine. The software cannot break just for specific users.
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
            vBulletin 4 does not have the ability to accept login with email, so this must be a third party add on. It is quite likely that any issues are coming from that. Start by disabling it and see if that helps the situation.
            Yes, we have a CMS front end from Expression Engine. It syncs its password with the forums. I'm so used to logging in with an email that I forgot that vBulletin uses a user id.

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
            Also users have only one password. There is absolutely no separate password in vBulletin for the moderator control panel. So it's either a third party add-on, or possibly you have a 'folder protection' password set using .htccess or your server control panel. The latter would usually take the form of a hard pop-up box rather than a login form in the software.
            When you try to delete a post using the moderation tools, we get prompted to log in again with the dialog below.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-12-20_7-40-18.png
Views:	30
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	4430045

This is not the folder protection dialog you were talking about, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Jobe View Post
              When you try to delete a post using the moderation tools, we get prompted to log in again with the dialog below.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-12-20_7-40-18.png
Views:	30
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	4430045

This is not the folder protection dialog you were talking about, is it?
              No, but that is the same password as the user's normal password. It is simply asking them to re-authenticate when carrying out moderator-related tasks. This then establishes a session of its own, but there is still only one password. Each user has only one password.

If that is being rejected, the user is either typing it wrong or they don't have permissions to carry out the action.
              MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
              AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Thanks, I just needed to verify that was the behavior that I understood. Now I have to check again with the user to make sure whether the problem lies with them or the plugin.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X