X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Hikarin View Post
    I understand that and I have opened communications with my host, but in what world are 200-300 visitors too much for the server to handle?
    I have no idea on how your server is configured or how many sites are on that server. On shared hosting, you are sharing your resources with many sites. Sometimes 1,000s of sites on a single machine all promised unlimited resources, or near unlimited resources, and that simply doesn't work. vBulletin 4 is also using outdated technology that might have made sense a decade ago but doesn't make sense on modern servers.

As I said above simply changing the session table from the MEMORY table engine to the INNODB table engine may solve your problems outright. MEMORY made sense when the primary table engine was MyISAM. However with INNODB tables being the recommended table engine these days and having a lot of work done performance wise, it doesn't make sense anymore. We wrote a series of blogs back in 2009 and 2010, when vBulletin 4 was new, about using INNODB for performance reasons with newer versions of MySQL.

Leave a comment:

• Hikarin
    replied
    I understand that and I have opened communications with my host, but in what world are 200-300 visitors too much for the server to handle? Something else is going on.
    I just checked my traffic on my hosting panel, and it's nowhere near stretched. It's definitely something else.

I might have considered vBulletin Cloud seeing as the bronze plan is around the same price as what I currently pay, except that there are two separate sites that I am building unrelated to vBulletin that I will need to host as well. It's impractical.
    Last edited by Hikarin; Sat 23rd Nov '19, 5:26am.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    The problem is that you do not have enough memory allocated to MySQL to handle your visitor load. In vBulletin 4.X, the session table is stored in MEMORY, not on the disk. Guests users whether bots are not are visitors. vBulletin has absolutely no idea whether the request comes from a bot or a user. Absolutely none. We cannot increase the memory allocated to your MySQL server. Only your hosting provider can do that.

All we can offer is Band-aid solutions to your problem because we do not have the capability to manage your server. vBulletin isn't designed to manage your problem. It will never be able to handle the problem because it is not a Server Daemon. It is an interpreted script application. For permanent solutions, you need to use Server Configuration options provided by your hosting provider. Blocking visitors in vBulletin will not solve your problem.

If you would like us to manage your server, please migrate your site to vBulletin Cloud. Then we will be more than happy to block the bots at the server level for you.

Leave a comment:

• Hikarin
    replied
    I mean, those are certainly methods that I can try, but it doesn't explain why I am having these issues now. I wasn't before.
    It just feels like a bandaid fix to what is some other problem, and that worries me.

As I said, the vb_session has been filling which is the main problem.
    Looking at the amount of bots... that's probably normal. I mean, if my site crashed from just having 10 visitors every 10 minutes, I'd be in real trouble.

And wouldn't bots viewing pages count as "visitors" anyway?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    As stated, scheduled tasks are triggered on page views. One per page view and they run in the background. In vBulletin 4, this is done with a blank image placed on the page in the footer.

”Retconned” sites can still draw bots from search engines. The method of controlling them is the same. Your hosting provider should be able to help you use the proper tools.

Within vBulletin 4, you can try to limit the active sessions under Settings -> Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options. However, quite ironically, a session needs to be created in order to show the error message that there are too many sessions active. It doesn’t actually limit session creation.

You can also remove permissions for guests to browse your site while you are working on it by turning it off or changing their permissions. These will still create a session to show the appropriate messages.

Finally, you can try converting the session table to use the INNODB table engine for more storage space. I don’t know what effect this will have on vBulletin 4.X though. Your hosting provider can assist with this operation.

Leave a comment:

• djbaxter
    replied
    You have to have a page load to trigger a cron job. That's not a matter of opinion. That's just how it works.

Leave a comment:

• Hikarin
    replied
    Not so, as they were functioning before.
    I know because the date listed as the last scheduled task ran a few days prior to me initially having this issue.

Leave a comment:

• djbaxter
    replied
    Scheduled tasks require visitors (page refreshes) to trigger so if you're the only member now that should solve one issue for you.

Leave a comment:

• Hikarin
    replied
    That's the thing. Like I mentioned, I retconned the site. New name, new theme, everything. I am the only active user.

I mentioned the following in a thread on the vbulletin.org forum when trying to solve this issue, and it is probably connected.

" Scheduled tasks won't run on their own. I keep having to delete the vb_session periodically.
    The footer is intact. (In reference to the case where a deleted cronimage line can cause an issue)

It just seemed to happen randomly. I don't remember changing anything that would have caused this.

The vb_session table is filling with over 80,000 lines which is overloading the file (hence the vb_session if full error messages), and causing a white screen of death on my website.
    I have no choice but to empty it in order for my website to function, and it seems like it may be because my scheduled tasks refuse to run on their own. "

I don't really know how everything works so well. I'm not an expert.
    Looking at the visitor IPs though, a reverse lookup reveals that all seem to be hits from Bytedance and Semrush bots. All are trying to view various pages and subforums, but are met with the "This website is closed" message I have as I have turned the forums off (admin restricted) for now while I get this sorted.
    These bots are my only "guests".

Since the last time I emptied the table, the number of "Guests" have now grown to 243.
    Would I be right in assuming this is because the table isn't refreshing/cleaning as it should, and is showing bot activity from the last few days as though they are all currently there still?

I feel like the vb_session table filling is because of these crawling bots attempting to visit pages.
    This probably wouldn't ordinarily be a problem, except that my scheduled tasks are refusing to run on their own. Not the hourly clean. Not anything. The settings for them are fine and I hadn't touched them anyway. I don't know what else to do.
    I'm worried that there may be something corrupted in a file somewhere or something, but I wouldn't know how to fix that.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Normal is going to vary depending on the site. What are your historical number of visitors?

In a normal system, the session table will regulate itself and delete expired sessions automatically. Since you're using vBulletin 4, the session table is held in RAM on the server for performance. This creates a table that can't hold as much information. You can ask your hosting provider to convert this to an INNODB table and you'll get more breathing room.

If you feel the traffic to your site is abnormal then you should contact your hosting provider about DDOS protection. Trying to protect against a DDOS within an application like vBulletin is like trying to stop the flow of water from a fire hose with your finger. Your hosting provider has tools at the firewall, router, and server levels to protect your site.

Leave a comment:

• Hikarin
    started a topic What are Normal Guest Numbers

What are Normal Guest Numbers

I've been having vb_session full errors for a while now. From what I can tell, it's mainly linked to the number of "Guests" that I'm getting lately.
    Even with the forum closed at the moment so that only the landing page for a closed forum is viewable, it's still an issue.

What is the normal average for bots to visit your website, and how often?

I'm keeping a watch on the IP addresses this time to see where the traffic is coming from, and so far most of it is from bytedance and semrush, and all from different IPs.
    It's an empty forum that I've retconned (or trying to at least) so only I am using it.
    I have had about 7 hits in the last 10 minutes.

Is this normal?