Incorrect URL Generated from Portal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incorrect URL Generated from Portal

This could very well be a vBadvanced issue, but the site has been down for me. Does it still exist?

In any case, the issue is thus. (N.B. I've retconned my site, so it's not currently in use).
    My forum's main landing page is the portal as provided by vBadvanced. This sits at http://expershia.net/forum/portal.php .
    The location of the forums themselves is then at http://www.expershia.net/forum/home.php .

The navbar is normal.
    WHAT'S NEW? - ARTICLES - FORUM - BLOGS

When hovering over the urls from the vBadvanced portal, all links appear normal. All look as though they are going to direct to their correct location.
    Most do, except for the "Blogs" link.
    Despite this showing up as http://www.expershia.net/forum/blog.php when hovered over, it instead directs you to http://www.expershia.net/blog/blog.php when you click it, resulting in a 404.

If I click on the "Blogs" tab from any of the other areas (What's New, Articles, Forum) they all direct as they should to http://www.expershia.net/forum/blog.php .
    Is this a conflict with vBadvanced somewhere? I'm sure the fix is simple, but I can't find it. I also don't understand why it's only happening with the Blogs tab.

We cannot provide support for the vBAdvanced Add-on Product. It was provided by a third-party. You would need to contact them if they are still providing support for the functionality. The other links most likely work because they are created by vBulletin scripts, not an add-on.

vBulletin 5 has much of vBAdvanced's functionality built in. Including the capability of creating custom pages and designating one of them as the Home Page. We call this functionality Site Builder.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      We cannot provide support for the vBAdvanced Add-on Product. It was provided by a third-party. You would need to contact them if they are still providing support for the functionality. The other links most likely work because they are created by vBulletin scripts, not an add-on.

vBulletin 5 has much of vBAdvanced's functionality built in. Including the capability of creating custom pages and designating one of them as the Home Page. We call this functionality Site Builder.
      IS this issue on the vBadvanced side though? Like I said - the other links direct fine. It's just the blog link. Or do you mean that the blog itself is an add-on?
      It's also just weird to me that the link displayed when you hover over the tab IS the right one, but it takes you to another. Either way, couldn't this just be fixed with a .htaccess or httd file? I don't know how to edit those though.

Wow. We're really shamelessly plugging that upgrade. =x

EDIT : Nevermind. It appears that I just fixed it somehow? Don't ask me what I did, but it's working now.... =_=
      Last edited by Hikarin; Wed 23rd Oct '19, 6:20pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Hikarin View Post
        Wow. We're really shamelessly plugging that upgrade. =x
        vBulletin 4 is End of Life. On December 1st, 2019, the latest version of PHP that vBulletin 4 can run under goes End of Life. It is in the customer's best interest to upgrade to software with continued development in order to keep their sites as secure as possible.

Wayne Luke

Comment

vBulletin 4 is End of Life. On December 1st, 2019, the latest version of PHP that vBulletin 4 can run under goes End of Life. It is in the customer's best interest to upgrade to software with continued development in order to keep their sites as secure as possible.

I'm just really not sold on the whole look. I don't like it when compared to vB4. (We'll just ignore the fact that vbulletin.org still runs on vB3 for now despite its affiliations.. <.<)
          Say that I was to purchase an upgrade. Would I be forced to install the upgrade right away, or could I get to it when I was ready?

Comment

I'm just really not sold on the whole look. I don't like it when compared to vB4. (We'll just ignore the fact that vbulletin.org still runs on vB3 for now despite its affiliations.. <.<)
            Say that I was to purchase an upgrade. Would I be forced to install the upgrade right away, or could I get to it when I was ready?
            vbulletin.org exists *solely* to provide a platform for supply and support of third pparty modifications. The vast majority of those modifications are for vBulletin 3 and vBulletin 4.
            The site does not run a default instance of vBulletin 3. It has been heavily modified over the years to provide the bespoke functionality that site needs.

Upgrading it to vBulletin 5 would not involve simply running the upgrade script. It would require months of developer time to analyse and convertand test very modification that the site itself uses in order to function. During this time there would be no developer resource available to work on vBulletin 5 itself.

Most new modifications for many platforms now get released on people's own sites, and that's because these days everyone wants to monetise modifications, and vbulletin.org doesn't allow that.

So, whilst it would be great if we could magic up some extra resources to work on this as a side project, the reality is it's not going to happen.

If you do want to see a heavily modifiied vB5 site that also provides modifications for download, try https://vbmods.rocks, run by a former vBulletin 5 developer. That proves there's no technical reason why it couldn't be done, it's just about time and resources.
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

[SIZE=14px]IS this issue on the vBadvanced side though?
              When hovering over the urls from the vBadvanced portal, all links appear normal. All look as though they are going to direct to their correct location.
              Most do, except for the "Blogs" link.
              You said so yourself that it is a vBAdvanced issue.

Wayne Luke

Comment

You said so yourself that it is a vBAdvanced issue.
                That doesn't matter anymore. I fixed the issue (see the edit at the end of that message), and for the record, what I edited was not in one of the vBadvanced scripts. I edited a few though, so I can't say which one it was exactly.

In any case, I was hoping for an answer to my above question. The issue in this thread has been resolved though.
                "Say that I was to purchase an upgrade. Would I be forced to install the upgrade right away, or could I get to it when I was ready?"

Comment

That doesn't matter anymore. I fixed the issue (see the edit at the end of that message), and for the record, what I edited was not in one of the vBadvanced scripts. I edited a few though, so I can't say which one it was exactly.
                  You should not be editing ANY vBulletin files other than config.php. Even if doing so appears to fix your issue, it is quite likely you will break something elsewhere.

In any case, I was hoping for an answer to my above question. The issue in this thread has been resolved though.
                  "Say that I was to purchase an upgrade. Would I be forced to install the upgrade right away, or could I get to it when I was ready?"
                  You can upgrade whenever you wish, there is no time limit.
                  MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
                  AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                    You should not be editing ANY vBulletin files other than config.php. Even if doing so appears to fix your issue, it is quite likely you will break something elsewhere.
                    I'm pretty sure I missed something that I should have edited before though, which was the problem. I didn't touch anything I wasn't supposed to have dealt with at some stage.

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                    You can upgrade whenever you wish, there is no time limit.
                    Okay, thanks for that.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X