X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
    Firstly the issue did not affect vB4.
    Secondly vB4 is end of life
    Thirdly and most importantly, even if such an issue did crop up on vB4 and we decided to issue a patch, it would only be for 4.2.5.

4.1.2 is old and completely unsupported. It also potentially contains other unpatched security flaws. You should arrange to upgrade php to 7.1 and vBulletin to 4.2.5 without delay.
    Unfortunately my license can't get 4.2.5. I'm considering upgrading to vb5 with the special mentioned on the sticky for $169, or zenforo for $160. I was hoping the upgrade for those of us already on vb4 would be less than the competitor's new full forum. Thanks to all for their help.

Comment

Originally posted by blacksurfer View Post

Unfortunately my license can't get 4.2.5. I'm considering upgrading to vb5 with the special mentioned on the sticky for $169, or zenforo for $160. I was hoping the upgrade for those of us already on vb4 would be less than the competitor's new full forum. Thanks to all for their help.
      You can use any software you like. It won't prevent DDos attacks. You'd be better off paying for Sucuri or CloudFlare to remedy that issue. Or getting a host with built-in DDos protection.

Comment

Originally posted by In Omnibus View Post

You can use any software you like. It won't prevent DDos attacks. You'd be better off paying for Sucuri or CloudFlare to remedy that issue. Or getting a host with built-in DDos protection.
        Yes, thanks I'm on the free Cloudflare account and everything seems to be fine. I moderate all news member before they can post. My forum, along with many others, have gotten really small. People seem to have moved to social media and not using forums anymore, so I don't want to upgrade to continue to beat a dead horse. The spam emails have also ceased. Thanks to all for your help.

Comment

Yes, thanks I'm on the free Cloudflare account and everything seems to be fine. I moderate all news member before they can post. My forum, along with many others, have gotten really small. People seem to have moved to social media and not using forums anymore, so I don't want to upgrade to continue to beat a dead horse. The spam emails have also ceased. Thanks to all for your help.
          There's not much we can do if people are stupid enough to give all their personal data to social media. I might be completely wrong but I still think social media is going to run its course and people are going to move away from it. Facebook is making the case for me.

Comment

This is really a different topic and it can probably have books written about it. However, if you provide generally available information on your site or it is just a chat site, then Social Media will win. Especially if users cannot access your site on a mobile device these days. The types of forums that generate traffic these days have information specific to a topic and staff that are actively providing content pertaining to the topic. Mobile Device access is a big plus as well. Many people aren't using desktop and laptops to access the web anymore. A growing amount of the world population doesn't even own computers, even in industrialized nations.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X