Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Acquired vb4.2.2 site, question about upgrade to 4.2.5

Hello, it has been a very long time.

I've acquired a site that is currently running vb 4.2.2 Patch Level 1 on a separate license, and I'd like to upgrade it an unused vb4 license I own which would be 4.2.5.

The site is currently running on a very old version of PHP that I can't support at all, so I can't upgrade it on it's current host either based on what I've read.

My plan is to disable all of the plugins, as well as it's custom theme, and move over it's static content that I need to retain to a new server which can run php71. Then upload a fresh copy of 4.2.5, set the config, restore a copy of the database on the new server and run the upgrade script.

My hope is that in the end the site will be up on v4.2.5 running the standard theme with no plugins but the forum data would be intact.

My question is what directories/files should I move over? Also, is there a guide I can review?

Shawn

Originally posted by motowebmaster View Post
    My plan is to disable all of the plugins, as well as it's custom theme, and move over it's static content that I need to retain to a new server which can run php71. Then upload a fresh copy of 4.2.5, set the config, restore a copy of the database on the new server and run the upgrade script.
    Sounds like a good plan. However, if you're not going to use the plugins then I suggest simply uninstalling them from the AdminCP under Plugins & Products -> Manage Products. This will remove the plugin code from the database.

My hope is that in the end the site will be up on v4.2.5 running the standard theme with no plugins but the forum data would be intact.
    This should be the outcome.

My question is what directories/files should I move over? Also, is there a guide I can review?
    • If you store attachments in the file system (recommended), you would need to move this directory over. It will be specified in the AdminCP under Attachments -> Attachment Storage Type.
    • If you store avatars, user profile pictures, and signature pictures in the file system (recommended), you would need to copy these directories over. They are specified under Avatars -> User Picture Storage Type.
    • You will want to move and update /includes/config.php
    • You would move the database from the old server to the new server following the instructions in MySQL's documentation.
    • No other files should be moved over.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Just wanted to share that the migration/upgrade went well.

The default style didn't install initially, but it was easy enough to remove all of the custom styles and add a new default style. Was reminded of the stylevar drama that I hated so much, but easy enough to change the logo, resulting in the standard vbulletin look I wanted.

Running with php71, enabled memcache, and with a replacement variable I was also able to fully enable https.

Users aren't happy, but at least the site is safe again.

Thanks for your help!
      Shawn

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X