Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with media embed bbcode please (Youtube)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with media embed bbcode please (Youtube)

The Youtube URL for the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uecbPgDNU4g

However the embed code is this:

Code:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uecbPgDNU4g" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    So if I just use {param} for the src, it needs to be converted from
    Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
    to
    Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/
    Can someone please help tell me how I would do this?

Thanks

???

The standard insert video bbcode in the editor automatically embeds the video for you. No {param} or anything else needed.
    Psychlinks Mental Health Support Forum
    Local Search Forum

Comment

Yes I know and that is what is being used now, but the problem is I am trying to trouble shoot why this is not working for some members (IE10???)

So I thought if I create an alternative from scratch as a custom bbcode just for youtube, it may be simpler code and just work better, or may help troubleshoot what is wrong.

Comment

Or rather than converting, maybe it could work if the replacement included the emend URL, and some of the inserted text could be stripped out:

So it would work if the replacement was :

Code:
        <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/{param}" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
        and the text inserted by the user for {param} could strip out this bit:
        Code:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
        so only the video id gets inserted.

(Obviously this will work if they user just inserts the ID, but is simpler if they do it the way they are used to, ie insert the full URL.

Comment

Using iframes has its own issues.

And why anyone is still using IE10 I just don't understand. At least upgrade to IE11 if you have to keep using IE at all.

You could try this plugin from vBulletin.org: Auto Youtube-Link Parser ("Replaces youtube-links in post text with embedded version of the videolink")

Local Search Forum

Comment

IE10 is not supported, thatís the short answer here.

IE10 users will struggle to use a wide variety of modern websites, such as Facebook and GMail.
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Just discovered it isn't IE 10, they are using IE11.

Videos are showing when logged out, but not when they are logged in. But they do show when viewing on the Debutante mobile style, just not on the vbulletin default.

Comment

I am not able to install any plugins, as the forum is owned by Vertical Scope. I am just an admin (access to custom bbcodes but not to plugging management or templates)

Comment

Can you get Vertical Scope to increase your permissions? or to install a plugin or two for you?

Also can you check usergroup permissions? Seems odd that guests can see videos but registered users cannot.
                  Local Search Forum

Comment

Originally posted by djbaxter View Post
                    Can you get Vertical Scope to increase your permissions? or to install a plugin or two for you?
                    I already tried that and the answer is no.

Also can you check usergroup permissions? Seems odd that guests can see videos but registered users cannot.
                    Weirdly, Allow Video BB code is no for both unregistered and the usergroup that these members are in.

Very odd

Ah, just noticed that only applies to signatures. So I don't see any other permissions that might be in play here.
                    Last edited by Mermaid; Wed 17th Jul '19, 9:26am.

Comment

What is this set to?

AdminCP >> Options >> BBCode settings >> Allow remote [video] retrieval

And this?

AdminCP >> Options >> Message Posting and Editing Options >> Maximum Videos Per Post
                      Local Search Forum

Comment

What is this set to?

AdminCP >> Options >> BBCode settings >> Allow remote [video] retrieval

AdminCP >> Options >> Message Posting and Editing Options >> Maximum Videos Per Post

One other thing, this only seems to be an issue when those users are in IE11, they seem OK on other browsers. One thing I have noticed though on Mac safari:

I see the videos but when logged in the videos are responsive, when logged out they aren't. Very weird.

BTW, many thanks for the help djbaxter (you may know me as Mr Lucky on another forum)

Comment

Yes I don't know why it only affects some browsers...

Maybe try increasing the setting for "Allow remote [video] retrieval"? Mine (4.2.5) is set to 6 although I honestly don't remember what that was based on.
                          Local Search Forum

Comment