Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4.2.5 with PHP 7.2

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 4.2.5 with PHP 7.2

    Hi

    I want to ask, Is there a problems with using vb 4.2.5 on PHP 7.2 server?
    I need to upgrade my server softwares to can run WordPress and I don't want to upgrade my vb to version 5!!!
    Thanks in advance.
    One of highly customized vBCMS used for news site.
    www.manshor.net

  • #2
    Originally posted by SilverBoy View Post
    I want to ask, Is there a problems with using vb 4.2.5 on PHP 7.2 server?
    Yes, or at least you will get errors. You may be able to suppress them or you may actually break stuff, especially addons. vBulletin 4.2.5 is only "certified" compatible with PHP 5.6.x and up to PHP 7.1.x.

    Originally posted by SilverBoy View Post
    I need to upgrade my server softwares to can run WordPress and I don't want to upgrade my vb to version 5!!!
    The good news is that WordPress doesn't require PHP 7.2. It will run just fine on PHP 7.1.x or even PHP 5.6.x.

    Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
    Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

    Comment


    • #3
      Thank you for your kind reply.
      Originally posted by djbaxter View Post
      The good news is that WordPress doesn't require PHP 7.2. It will run just fine on PHP 7.1.x or even PHP 5.6.x.
      Are you sure? because they wrote on thier site it need PHP 7.2!!

      One of highly customized vBCMS used for news site.
      www.manshor.net

      Comment


      • #4
        No. What they say is:
        To run WordPress we recommend your host supports:

        • PHP version 7.2 or greater.
        • MySQL version 5.6 or greater OR MariaDB version 10.0 or greater.
        • HTTPS support
        But just below that, they also say:

        Note: If you are in a legacy environment where you only have older PHP or MySQL versions, WordPress also works with PHP 5.2.4+ and MySQL 5.0+, but these versions have reached official End Of Life and as such may expose your site to security vulnerabilities.
        The reality is that I run several WordPress sites on my server using PHP 7.1.x and I also maintain WordPress sites for other people on servers using PHP5.6.x. There are no issues with those PHP versions.
        Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
        Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

        Comment


        • #5
          Recommended version is not the same as minimum version.
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

          TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by djbaxter View Post
            No. What they say is:

            But just below that, they also say:



            The reality is that I run several WordPress sites on my server using PHP 7.1.x and I also maintain WordPress sites for other people on servers using PHP5.6.x. There are no issues with those PHP versions.
            Thank you.
            One of highly customized vBCMS used for news site.
            www.manshor.net

            Comment


            • #7
              Any plans to change this? "Please note that vBulletin 4.2.5 is not compatible with PHP 7.2.0 or higher."

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BoostedK20 View Post
                Any plans to change this? "Please note that vBulletin 4.2.5 is not compatible with PHP 7.2.0 or higher."
                No. vBulletin has made it very clear that version 4.2.5 is end of life for the vB 4 series. Moreover the conversions of vB 3.8.x and 4.2.5 to run on PHP 7.2.1 were made by Paul Marsden who is no longer with vBulletin / Internet Brands, and all other coders still employed here are assigned to the vB 5 series.
                Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
                Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

                Comment


                • #9
                  Sorry to resurrect and old thread but I tried upgrading from 5.6.x to 7.1.x and my vB build actually banned my admin account. I had to fall back to 7.0.x. This wasn’t a plug-in problem but a vB problem. Any ideas?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sure. Either
                    1. you didn't test it with all of your plugins disabled and one of your plugins is incompatible with with 7.1, or
                    2. the 7.1 build you tried to use has a module that is incompatible, like mod_security, enables as default.
                    Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
                    Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by djbaxter View Post
                      Sure. Either
                      1. you didn't test it with all of your plugins disabled and one of your plugins is incompatible with with 7.1, or
                      2. the 7.1 build you tried to use has a module that is incompatible, like mod_security, enables as default.
                      I will go back and try it with all of the plug-ins disabled. The site has been running since 2012 and, yes, some of the plug-ins are old. Also, mod_security is enabled but has never been a problem.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        mod_security can be a problem for many forums, regardless of the forum software.
                        Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
                        Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 5604309817c2 View Post
                          Sorry to resurrect and old thread but I tried upgrading from 5.6.x to 7.1.x and my vB build actually banned my admin account. I had to fall back to 7.0.x. This wasn’t a plug-in problem but a vB problem. Any ideas?
                          It's not a vB problem at all. If it was, many thousands of customers would have been reporting it.

                          First you you need to get every single third party add on disabled. Most third party add ons haven't been updated for years so are not compatible with php 7.1.

                          Beyond that we need more detail. Exactly what are the symptoms? Has the administrator account actually been moved to the Banned usergroup? Or is it that IP is banned? What is exact error on screen?

                          We need precise and full details, otherwise we are guessing at the cause.
                          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

                          TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
                          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Mark.B View Post

                            It's not a vB problem at all. If it was, many thousands of customers would have been reporting it.

                            First you you need to get every single third party add on disabled. Most third party add ons haven't been updated for years so are not compatible with php 7.1.

                            Beyond that we need more detail. Exactly what are the symptoms? Has the administrator account actually been moved to the Banned usergroup? Or is it that IP is banned? What is exact error on screen?

                            We need precise and full details, otherwise we are guessing at the cause.
                            I will have to disable the ad-ons one-by-one and see what's happening. At present, mod_security is enabled and Siteground doesn't want to disable it for security reasons. I know that vB throws a warning that AJAX may not be fully functioning as a result but that's always been the case. Eventually I will have to upgrade to vB 5 since Siteground wants to default to PHP 7.3.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              What happens if you remove the list of IP Addresses under Settings -> Options -> User Banning Options. I suspect that if this is a large list that it can overload vBulletin 4 and return the banned IP address error erroneously. We recently resolved an error similar to this in vBulletin 5.

                              The problem people are using this field to ban hundreds, if not thousands, of IP addresses. That was never the intent of the field. It was meant for quick and temporary banning of IP Addresses. It is better to ban IP addresses on the server or router level of the network.
                              Translations provided by Google.

                              Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X