X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul M
    replied
    Ah yes, you are right.

You should do as you mentioned, and upgrade.
    I believe that if you upload the new version files first, and clear your browser cache, you should then be able to get into the ACP to complete the upgrade.

(Note, I have no way to verify this).

The other member did some manual database edits, not really an ideal method.

(Also, I think if you can disable Javascript in your browser, you can probably stop the redirecting, since facebook is partially J/S based Try that first if you can).

Leave a comment:

• princesspepper
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul M View Post
    I believe I saw you solved this in another thread.
    No. Incorrect. I asked someone who solved it how they did it. I'm still waiting for help.

Leave a comment:

• Paul M
    replied
    I believe I saw you solved this in another thread.

Leave a comment:

• princesspepper
    replied
    I'm having a similar problem, but the only thing is, I cannot even access the admin area of my forum because when I try to login as admin I am redirected to Facebook and the page does not exist. It's driving me mad. I'm on VB 4.2.2 and I want to upgrade to the latest version to attempt to fix it, but I can't even log in in order to put the forum in maintenance mode and back it up. For some reason, some members can get in but I can't and it's my forum!!!

I have tried disabling all hooks but it still doesn't work. Is there any way I can disable FB Connect by editing the code so that I can login and perform the upgrade?

I am using Google Chrome and not Safari, by the way, so it's not browser specific. All cookies and history have been cleared before attempting to login.

Leave a comment:

• sv1cec
    replied
    Yeap, that's what I wanted to do, in the first place. The only difference was, that I was going to have the old server working for the rest of the world, while I would be upgrading the new server and testing it, using an entry in my local hosts file.

Leave a comment:

• Paul M
    replied
    I do it in a slightly different order to Mark, but the principle is pretty much the same.

Close the existing site.
    Once closed, copy the database to the new server.
    Upload the new version files to the new server
    Add a record for the new IP to your local hosts file, and connect to new server.
    Upgrade the new forum (run the upgrade script) and then open the forum.
    Renove the new IP from your to local hosts file and re-point the main DNS to the new IP.

People will start connecting to the new (upgraded) site as their DNS updates.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by sv1cec View Post
    Well, the old server runs vB 4.2.2 patch level 4. Obviously I want the new server to run the latest stable release, which is 4.2.4. So yeah, I missed a step in my description above, there is an upgrade happening after the site is copied to the new server. So that paragraph should read:

As for copying the site, so I change the site URL in admincp, copy the site and the database to the new server. I then change back the site URL to the standard one. Then I upgrade the vB on the new server and I test everything on the new server, with the new server URL. If everything works as planned, I change the site's URL on the new server to the URL of the old server, and change my DNS record to point to the new server.
    I still think this changing of URLs is just making work.

Close the existing site.
    Copy the database at that point to the new server (so it is still set to closed)
    Upload the 4.2.4 files to the new server
    Re-point the DNS
    Once you can see the 'new' site (you can use the Windows hosts' file to force this if it's taking too long), run the upgrade script.
    Open the site on the 'new' server.

Everyone has their own preferred way of doing this, but that's the most straightforward.

Leave a comment:

• sv1cec
    replied
    Well, the old server runs vB 4.2.2 patch level 4. Obviously I want the new server to run the latest stable release, which is 4.2.4. So yeah, I missed a step in my description above, there is an upgrade happening after the site is copied to the new server. So that paragraph should read:

As for copying the site, so I change the site URL in admincp, copy the site and the database to the new server. I then change back the site URL to the standard one. Then I upgrade the vB on the new server and I test everything on the new server, with the new server URL. If everything works as planned, I change the site's URL on the new server to the URL of the old server, and change my DNS record to point to the new server.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    I got that. So I just emailed my Facebook users, telling them to ask for a new password from my site. Thanks for the clarifications on that.

As for copying the site, so I change the site URL in admincp, copy the site and the database to the new server. I then change back the site URL to the standard one. Then I test everything on the new server, with the new server URL. If everything works as planned, I change the site's URL on the new server to the URL of the old server, and change my DNS record to point to the new server.

Am I correct on this?
    Pretty much...it depends what you're wanting to achieve. I thought there was an upgrade happening in the middle of this needed testing.
    If not, and it's just a server move, then really you can just move it over and re-point the DNS for the domain...don't really need to worry about different URLs.
    Close the site on the old server with a message about the move and that they should see the new site soon (when the DNS propagates) and then anyone who still gets the 'old' version will realise.

Also make sure config.php points to the right database on the right server.

Leave a comment:

• sv1cec
    replied
    I got that. So I just emailed my Facebook users, telling them to ask for a new password from my site. Thanks for the clarifications on that.

As for copying the site, so I change the site URL in admincp, copy the site and the database to the new server. I then change back the site URL to the standard one. Then I test everything on the new server, with the new server URL. If everything works as planned, I change the site's URL on the new server to the URL of the old server, and change my DNS record to point to the new server.

Am I correct on this?

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    You need to change the site URL before moving anything, as it will prevent access afterwards.

Just to be clear on the Facebook side of things....nothing relating to Facebook is fixed in 4.2.4 or 4.2.5...the Facebook element of vB4 isn't being worked on at all.

Leave a comment:

• sv1cec
    replied
    Guys, many thanks for your answers, appreciated.

Any idea when 4.2.5 will be released as stable?

My ISP just set up a dedicated server for me, with php 7 and 10.1.19-MariaDB, so that I can move my site there and install 4.2.4, to avoid the Facebook issue. I hate to have to ask them to downgrade php! I can email those members who have registered with FB and ask them to get a password via the Forgot your Password link, not a bad idea at all.

Regarding my question about the site's URL, what is your recommendation?

Leave a comment:

• Paul M
    replied
    I have about 280 members who have registered using Facebook. What do you suggest I do with them?

Also, since I plan to upgrade to 4.2.4 anyway, can you please tell me if php and mysql versions mentioned above, are OK?
    Tell them if it stops allowing them in via facebook to just use the password reset facility to send themselves a password. In order for this to work of course, they must make sure their forum e-mail address is correct. As mentioned above, vB 4.2.4 is not designed to run on php 7, you need 4.2.5 for that.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    4.2.4 will not work with php 7 - you need 4.2.5 for that. MySQL is fine.

Facebook - you will need to issue Facebook users with a password generated from the forum, then they will be able to log in using that. Their accounts will be otherwise unaffected.

Leave a comment:

• sv1cec
    replied
    I have about 280 members who have registered using Facebook. What do you suggest I do with them?

Also, since I plan to upgrade to 4.2.4 anyway, can you please tell me if php and mysql versions mentioned above, are OK?

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X