X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhody401
    replied
    Hi Kurt,

Well, I believe the new hosting company uses a different server name for SSL vs other methods for smtp. I believe that was all it was. The setup didn't like my mail.mydomain.com/smtp.mydomain.com/ or the direct ip. I tried using the hosts domain name in the VB smtp settings, and it worked. I am using mddhosting, and the name that DID work (for both diag and live) was the server name r1.supportedns.com

The odd part is that the VB Admin -> diagnostics -> email test function worked fine with ANY of the above configurations. It reported no errors with any of the above configurations, and the emails went through fine. The diagnostics must do things in a different way, so they can't always be trusted.

I still can't get it to work with just straight PHP mail method, either, but I'm fine with it the way it is.

Frustrated it took so long, but happy to have mail again.

I haven't tried my VB5 or Xenforo sites on this provider yet, but will keep this in mind.

Thx
    Rhody

Leave a comment:

• KurtinSA
    replied
    Any hints as to what the problem was? And the fix? Would that help anybody else??

Kurt​

Leave a comment:

• Rhody401
    replied
    This inquiry from 2 days ago can be closed/zapped if you'd like.

I got support somewhere else and the issue is now resolved. I no longer need assistance.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Rhody401
    replied
    I have now done a refresh and upgrade of the current production version of vbulletin. This also didn't correct the issue.

Leave a comment:

• Rhody401
    replied
    (deleted by original poster. the info was not correct in this post)
    Last edited by Rhody401; Tue 23rd Feb '16, 6:16am.

Leave a comment:

• Rhody401
    replied
    In case this is the next suggestion:

This morning I also tried 'DISABLE_HOOKS', true in the config.php file, to disable all added customization. This did not fix the problem, unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• Rhody401
    replied
    Lynne,

Thanks so much for replying - and even on a Sunday!

I just went through and tried changing the email again. It is using a valid email set up on the same server. This did not help, unfortunately.

I also looked at the email logs in cpanel whm (reseller account)

The emails that went through correctly are all listed, with success. The ones that did not go out don't appear in the log at all.

The VB Diagnostic works, but CONTACT US or new registrations dont email the registrant or the webmaster.

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    replied
    Have you checked your server mail logs? Usually if there is an issue, then you will see it there.

Have you tried changing the email that is being used to send the emails - AdminCP > Settings > Options > Site Name/URL/etc > Webmaster's Email ?

Leave a comment:

• Rhody401
    started a topic Help needed to diagnose email sending problem

Help needed to diagnose email sending problem

I started experiencing trouble about 2 weeks ago. CONTACT US emails would not go through, nor would emails generated from new registrations. (emails to the registrant, and to the administrator).

When I go to DIAGNOSTICS and test email, I get it fine.

At the time when the behavior started, I added an additional field to the registration screen. (a question on registration) I dont know if that is just a coincidence or not.

I assumed it had something to do with our hosting provider, which was on several blacklists and had dozens of sql busy/timeout errors on a daily basis for the past 3 months. After 10 years with Hostgator, we switched to much more reliable provider two days ago. This did NOT resolve the problem with emails, unfortunately. Emails through vbulletin diagnostics still work fine, via PHP method or directly with SSL. Anything else from the forum does not seem to go out. We arent on any blacklists, and I have tried a variety of different email addresses.

Currently:
    Use Mailqueue System = No
    Use Cron = No
    16 per batch
    Delay=None
    -f = Yes
    Bulk = Yes
    SMTP Email = Yes
    The smtp settings are tested and work. server is ok, port 465, correct username and pw, SSL

The email account exists in cpanel and works fine. The test (diagnostics from VB) goes through fine, but nothing else.

I'm really stumped on this one.

If it could be a factor, I added a new user profile field. I also have the newuser template modified to email the contents of the added profile fields to us with customfields variable. I have had it in this format since Jan 2012. example: (with names changed to ???)
    $username has registered. Status: $memberlink

$customfields
    Email Address: $email
    Birthday: $birthday
    IP Address: $ipaddress

Once they click the verification email, they will be moved to:
    group READY TO BE VERIFIED: Email check complete

Staff can then review the request, to determine the correct PRIMARY USERGROUP:
    ???? MEMBER
    NON MEMBER/GUEST
    NON MEMBER/LAPSED MEMBERSHIP

Shortcut to search: http://www.????directory.com

Shortcut to user editor: http://www.??????????.com/adcp3515x6683/
    Any advice greatly appreciated

Rhody