Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Email Diagnostic Error: 550 Unexpected response from SMTP server during TO address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBBurger
    replied
    vBulletin: 4.2.0 Patch Level 4.
    PHP: 5.3.3

PS - I've confirmed two different installs of vBulletin are generating the same error, on two different domain names - both on the same dedicated server with Rackspace. Using Rackspace's "Email and Apps" SMTP system.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    What specific version of vBulletin and PHP are you using?

Leave a comment:

• vBBurger
    replied
    Hello.

I'm back. This problem has reappeared, and I did not update this thread to explain how we fixed it last time.

Unfortunately after a full hour on the phone with Rackspace support once again (I have a dedicated server with them) they have concluded that its a problem with vBulletin.

Their reasons for saying so include comments like: "You are authenticating just fine but no email is being sent." and "Your username and password and all your settings are correct"

Further, we fully verified that I am able to send the email without any problem using identical settings from other platforms. Like Microsoft outlook. And their webmail client.

All of these tools link into their SMTP host and work perfectly fine.

Its only vBulletin which is failing.

I have told them: "When I ask vBulletin to give me some answer for this, they just tell me to ask you instead"..... but they tried their best for over an hour.

We have also checked server logs and they only show successful connections but no emails being sent.

If anyone can think a little deeper on this and give me some possible tips, I would appreciate it.

BlackSurfers response above unfortunately also not an option - it seems hes just suggesting using PHP Mail to send instead of SMTP.

I should note: everything was working perfectly fine with this setup for months.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by vBBurger View Post
    Wayne Luke

I understand, but that isn't the problem here. Its happening with every email address. This is a problem with vBulletin. Can you give me some things to check which would confirm that vBulletin is acting properly? There is no chance that the recipient email addresses are all randomly refusing. This is a diagnostic error being kicked out by vBulletin in the ACP.
    A unique issue on your site is not a problem with vBulletin. Something on your mail server is causing this to be rejected.

To test this, switch to a different SMTP server. Make sure you're using the required port and the required encryption mode. SSL and TSL matters depending on the server and port used.

Leave a comment:

• vBBurger
    replied
    Wayne Luke

I understand, but that isn't the problem here. Its happening with every email address. This is a problem with vBulletin. Can you give me some things to check which would confirm that vBulletin is acting properly? There is no chance that the recipient email addresses are all randomly refusing. This is a diagnostic error being kicked out by vBulletin in the ACP.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    550 error is pretty broad. Basically it means the server that you're sending the email to refused it. Either due to some parameters set in the server or the email address is invalid.

More information here: http://www.serversmtp.com/en/error-550

Leave a comment:

• Email Diagnostic Error: 550 Unexpected response from SMTP server during TO address

I am getting the following error when I go into the Admin CP and run a diagnostic on my email SMTP settings:

"Warning: 550 Unexpected response from SMTP server during TO address transmission in [path]/includes/class_mail.php on line 713"

The part that doesn't make sense is the exact same settings are being used on another install of vBulletin that connects to the exact same SMTP server and it works fine from there.

Settings:

Host: secure.emailsrvr.com
    Port: 25 (also tried 465 and 587)
    Username: sending email address
    Password: sending email address password.

Everything has been confirmed correct with the host. Password is right. Sending email address is enabled and valid. Port is correct (and when I try changing that, I generate tons of errors so we confirmed the problem isnt the port). Host name is correct. SSL we tried both enabled and disabled with different ports.

This error keeps coming up. So of course they told me to contact you guys.

Please advise.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X