User promotions not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] User promotions not working

We're working with vBulletin 4.2.2. patch level 4.

Userpromotions are not working.

Usergroups are "new user" and "forum member".
    I made a promotion that all users with 5 posts will be promoted to group "forum member" as primary group.
    I even ran the cronjob manually, but I still get members with 11 posts in the "new user" group, which should be promoted by now.

So it seems usergroup promotions are not working.

How can this be fixed please?
    Greetings, Black Tiger

Nobody any clue?
    Greetings, Black Tiger

Comment

The promotions schedule task only promotes users that have been active in the past hour (or since the last run of the scheduled task), unless it's being run manually, then it should promote everyone who qualifies. You say that you ran it manually, so I don't know why that didn't work for you. I guess you have usergroup = "new user", posts = 5, type = 'primary group', strategy = "posts", and "move user to usergroup"='forum member'?

Comment

Well, the scheduled tasks runs every hour and according to the manual, it should upgrade -all- users with more then X posts. I can't find any statement that it will only promote users who are active in the past hour.
        Since the cron runs every hour, it shouldn't matter if a user is active or not, it should just promote users with more then x posts.

I guess you have usergroup = "new user", posts = 5, type = 'primary group', strategy = "posts", and "move user to usergroup"='forum member'?
        You guessed correctly. That's the exact setting I use.
        Greetings, Black Tiger

Comment

Originally posted by Black Tiger View Post
          Well, the scheduled tasks runs every hour and according to the manual, it should upgrade -all- users with more then X posts. I can't find any statement that it will only promote users who are active in the past hour.
          Since the cron runs every hour, it shouldn't matter if a user is active or not, it should just promote users with more then x posts.
          The manual might not say it, but the code does. It works by checking every user to see if they need to be promoted, so to avoid doing that every hour, it only checks active users (unless you run it from the admincp).

Edit: There's even a comment in the code, includes/cron/promotion.php:
          PHP Code:
          // ########################################################################
          // ######################### START MAIN SCRIPT ############################
          // ########################################################################

// $nextrun is the time difference between runs. Should be sent over from cron.php!!
          // We only check the users that have been active since the lastrun to save a bit of cpu time. 

Anyway, I guess I don't have any other ideas.
          Last edited by kh99; Sat 16 May '15, 6:14am.

Comment

You're quite correct. I did not look in de code itself.

However it's still not functioning. I had a user who has 5 posts and logged in today which is not promoted, which should be done because he was active.
            Not even now I ran the cron manually.
            It only says "done", but the user is not promoted.

However, it might be this user has just got to his 5 posts today and will be promoted on the 6th post he will make. Except for the user with 11 posts who has not logged in for some time, I don't see other users with more then 5 posts in this usergroup. So maybe it is working now.

I see you don't have any idea's anymore, but thank you for helping me in any case.
            Greetings, Black Tiger

Comment

What settings do you actually have for the promotion?
              MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
              AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

The promotion setting was already stated in post number #4 here.

But...... never mind. It's not my forum by the way, I was helping out a friend.
                When making a screenshot for you about the promotions and usergroups, I just discovered something was not as it should be. Some usergroup was having a usergroup id of a default usergroup.
                And the "new user" group, was residing at the wrong place (between self made usergroups) with a higher usergroupid.

So I investigated further and discovered for some reason they have 2 "new user" groups.
                The original one was given another name (no clue why they did that).
                And the New User group which I thought was not doing the promotions, was a group they created themselves, and there were no promotions made for that one.

In fact everything is working fine for the real new user group (which was renamed). I only have to make another promotion setting for the other new user group they created themselves.

Thanks!
                Greetings, Black Tiger

Comment

Glad you got it sorted.
                  MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
                  AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X