Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Sitemap Indexing After Changing from Basic to Advanced Friendly URLs

Hi there,

Since I changed from Basic to Advanced Friendly URLs, out of 6,388 URLs submitted, only 253 URLs have been indexed. I changed this 2 days ago. Should they index all at once or is this a gradual indexing over time? Should I change back to basic when over 6000 URLs were being indexed?

Thanks

I have noticed that google takes a while to index sitemap URL's, they don't care about the format. The general rule is to choose a format and stick with it as you will always lose ranking if you change after thousands of old URL's are indexed. Did you redirect the old URL's?

Comment

I've had the basic Friendly URLs since Vbulletin 4 was introduced. The redirection? No, the old basic URLs redirect to the Advancved friendly ones anyway when I click on an older link.

I'm not sure if this change is worth it or to change it back. I checked this morning and Google has indexed another 200 URLs but still not all of them

Comment

Google are not obliged to index all your new URL's especially if they think a lot of them are duplicates of your old URL's.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmckoy

This is incorrect.
          What is incorrect?
          Originally posted by mrmckoy

You're having this issue because the sitemap url doesn't match your "rel=canonical'"url. they are eradicating each other per se. Google says the sitemap and "rel=canonical' url must match. Read here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...16#post4321716

Correct and incorrect. Google isn't indexing but not because of duplicates. Its because the Urls don't match and both claim to be the preferred way of indexing.
          The OP was submitting the same url's with a different format (friendly instead of standard) so there may well be a duplicate content issue.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X