Poor mySQL performance and caching options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Poor mySQL performance and caching options

I'm running vBulletin 4 in a shared hosting environment.

Over the last week or two I've noticed the site is running extremely slow I contacted tech support at my hosting co. and while I'm not being throttled for usage I do have a number of entries in the mysql_slow_queries log. The support guy suggested "adding cache" but being unfamiliar with vBulletin wasn't able to offer any specific instruction.

I can post entries from mysql_slow_queries if that will help with any recommendations on what to do, because I'm at a loss. My site is not huge and I'm not a PHP or SQL expert so I don't really have any idea what to do. I ran a few performance tweaks found on a blog but they didn't help, and a lot of the options I had already set to what the blog recommended.

The blog spoke highly of vbSEO, but this being a small hobby site I don't think I can afford that right this second. Are there free options that do something similar or that will take care of the issues I'm having? Would posting mysql_slow_queries data help identify what I need to do? I looked through it but couldn't make sense of it one way or another.

Thanks for any help...

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but vBulletin is a resource intensive software and my advice to you would be to get either a VPS or a dedicated server, hire someone to setup it (php5, apc5, mysql with mysqli extension, iptables etc etc) and your headaches with mysql, caching options would be cured.

Comment

To speed up your forum, you could try to use a datastore cache (like filecache, APC, XCache, etc). Also, attachments in the database can slow down your forum, you should use the filesystem for attachments. Also it can be that others on the shared server take resources.
      No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

Comment

Originally posted by Hartmut View Post
        To speed up your forum, you could try to use a datastore cache (like filecache, APC, XCache, etc). Also, attachments in the database can slow down your forum, you should use the filesystem for attachments. Also it can be that others on the shared server take resources.
        I will look into that - thanks.

Would Cloudflare be of any help in a case like this?

Comment

I already read about issues caused by for example enabling Cloudflare Javascript Minify. So I'm not positive if it will work without issues.
          No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X