Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grey Box covering textarea in IE and FF, making textarea disabled and preventing posting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Grey Box covering textarea in IE and FF, making textarea disabled and preventing posting

There's a grey box when trying to post anything in the "Quick Reply" or "Go Advanced" mode when using IE (8 and 9) and FF (latest version). Sometimes it happens in Chrome, but not all that often.

It's a grey box that basically overlays the textarea making it impossible for the cursor to focus, thus posting is impossible.

It was happening in 4.1 and I thought it might be a bug that was fixed, but I just upgraded to 4.2, patch level 3 and the problem exists there as well. Here is a screenshot from http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums:

http://i.imgur.com/8BVfl.jpg

There's an existing thread related to this issue but that didn't seem to go anywhere:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...ing-to-threads

I also, mistakenly, filed a bug when I should have created a ticket (don't know how to create a ticket, but am posting this thread as advised by a VB team member):

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-15572

Any help is appreciated, as right now our forum is basically dead. I can give access to the forums to a VB Team member, if needed.

Thank you

To troubleshoot this, first download a fresh copy of the vBulletin ZIP file from the Members Area then reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php:

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it.

Do you have the same problem?
    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Originally posted by Arsenalist View Post
      ....don't know how to create a ticket...
      Have a look here, you will have to log in to the members area, before you can submit a ticket.
      Fergal Crawley
      Business Advice Forum

Forum Promotion

Comment

problem seems to be with DB state

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
        To troubleshoot this, first download a fresh copy of the vBulletin ZIP file from the Members Area then reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php:

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it.

Do you have the same problem?
        Thanks for the reply.

Here's the result of running the Suspect File Versions command:

http://i.imgur.com/tNMwF.jpg

For forum.php, it's saying "File not recognized as part of vBulletin". For index.php, it's saying "File does not contain expected contents". On inspecting both files, all I can see is that index.php has an include for forum.php. Note that this is from a fresh install of vBulletin, hooked up with the current database.

In my own troubleshooting process, I also tried doing this:

1. Install fresh new vbulletin with new database - everything worked fine.
        2. Change config.php in new vbulletin mentioned in #1 to existing database - problem appears.

I'm thinking this has something to do with what's stored in the DB, rather than what's in the vbulletin foldere.

Thanks for continuing to help, I greatly appreciate it.

Comment

The only thing that could do this from a database perspective is either a plugin or a style issue. Did you carry out the latter part of what I posted to determine whether these are the issue?

Also, for the forum.php file - did you reupload a new copy?
          Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
          -
          *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
          - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
            The only thing that could do this from a database perspective is either a plugin or a style issue. Did you carry out the latter part of what I posted to determine whether these are the issue?

Also, for the forum.php file - did you reupload a new copy?
            Thanks for the reply. I did just created a new theme with no parent and used that, and it worked so for now everything is working. Thank, you. The forum colors are off but that's secondary. (Also, I had always copied the new forum.php as well).

What I really don't understand is why this problem all of a sudden appeared with no changes being made to the templates at all? Can you point me to look at something particular where I can diagnose this? I'd much rather fix the problem than re-implement my template changes (which are all CSS BTW) in the newly created style.

Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Looked into this deeper and it turned out to be this piece of ad code that was causing this.

<script type="text/javascript">
            document.write('<script type="text/javascript" src="http://ads.saymedia.com/ai017d3c81c7fc970c017c326665a4970b.js?ord='+ Math.random() +

'"></sc'+'ript>');
            </script>

Thanks for your help.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X