Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dead Thread - Thread won't load but no database errors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Dead Thread - Thread won't load but no database errors?

So here's a strange one for everyone - this has happened a few times in the past on my site and I don't know what the heck could be the cause. In the past, I've had to just delete the thread and move on but I feel bad because the person who created this dead thread said he spent 1.5 hours updating it with a ton of information about his car...

Here's the thread link:
    http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?47939

When I attempt to load it, I get a network error saying the page isn't responding. Yet all of the other threads on the site are working fine. I don't see any DB errors coming across.

Any ideas?

Nothing in the Apache error logs - but I do get this in the Application Events:
    Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 12/20/2012 1:02:10 PM
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer:
    Description:
    Faulting application name: httpd.exe, version: 2.2.21.0, time stamp: 0x4e7e1a86
    Faulting module name: php5ts.dll, version: 5.3.10.0, time stamp: 0x4f2e6690
    Exception code: 0xc00000fd
    Fault offset: 0x00000000001c5fa9
    Faulting process id: 0xeec
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cddedc1916007f
    Faulting application path: httpd.exe
    Faulting module path: php5ts.dll
    Report Id: 5f78f4c0-4acf-11e2-9249-000acd174e9c

- - - Updated - - -

The user who posted the thread wondered if there was a limit to post size - he said he posted a crap ton in the post (took him 1.5 hours to compile it all) and I have maxmium words in a post disabled, could that be the cause?
    Last edited by meissen; Thu 20th Dec '12, 9:20am.

Comment

That is highly likely, yes, especially if no other threads exhibit this behaviour.

Best way to fix this might be to find the post in the database directly using phpMyAdmin or similar, and editing out most of the text. You may then also need to rebuild the post cache.

It would then be advisable to set a limit on the number of characters per post, as this sort of thing is the reason such a setting exists.
      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.1 Demo
      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

fyi.. this is the url of the thread
        http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47939
        I don't know if the link in the OP would work either way

Are you able to see it if you disable fancy URL's?
        Also does it work if you disable all plugins.
        And finally, what version of PHP are you using?

I think the staff are slipping here
        The best way to troubleshoot any problem is going with the default setup on the default style.

If the problem still happens with no plugins and default style, it's time to move to plan b
        This seems like a server or apache error or a php module to me, have you consulted your host about this?

this google search (might be helpful)
        Last edited by Loco.M; Thu 20th Dec '12, 12:27pm.
        -- Web Developer for hire
        ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

Originally posted by Loco.M View Post
          fyi.. this is the url of the thread
          http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47939
          I don't know if the link in the OP would work either way

Are you able to see it if you disable fancy URL's?
          Also does it work if you disable all plugins.
          And finally, what version of PHP are you using?

I think the staff are slipping here
          The best way to troubleshoot any problem is going with the default setup on the default style.

If the problem still happens with no plugins and default style, it's time to move to plan b
          This seems like a server or apache error or a php module to me, have you consulted your host about this?

this google search (might be helpful)
          Yeah but the user has given a big clue....that one of their members has admitted making an enormous sized post in that thread.

I'd bet my granny that's the problem, so given that's the pointer we have, best to start with that rather than messing about with plugins.

That's where I'd look if it were my site, indeed at one time years ago when I was on shared hosting, I had pretty much the same issue.

If it transpires NOT to be the problem....then normal diagnostics will apply.

YMMV

Comment

I'm on a dedicated server, if that makes any difference. I'll check the post in the database and see what it's doing

- - - Updated - - -

One thing that's really weird about it is that ONE user was able to view the post without Apache crashing and he even replied to the post. It was after someone else replied to the thread that it would crash apache when people attempted to open it.

Comment

Originally posted by meissen View Post
              I'm on a dedicated server, if that makes any difference. I'll check the post in the database and see what it's doing

- - - Updated - - -

One thing that's really weird about it is that ONE user was able to view the post without Apache crashing and he even replied to the post. It was after someone else replied to the thread that it would crash apache when people attempted to open it.
              see what happens when you edit the text out. Keep a copy of it in case it's NOT that and you need to restore it.

If it doesn't fix it post back and we then need to look at other possible causes. nothing happens without cause...just a matter of eliminating things until we find what it is.

Comment

Found it - one of the posts was too long, causing the thread to crash Apache when it was loaded.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X