Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ban registrations by ip blocks a good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Ban registrations by ip blocks a good idea?

I know variations of these questions have been asked but, I'm looking for an up to date answer...

1. Is there a reliable way to ban registrations by country IP blocks? In other words, have you done it and did it make a difference?
    2. Where can I find the most up to date information concerning IP blocks by country? I'd like to ban India.

Thanks in advance.
    Chuck
    SiriusBuzz.com

Not by default, vBulletin allows you to ban visitors by ip, following that, block them at the webserver level.
    You'd need to find a site with geo ip info, even then most users can get around that sort of block with a proxy.

Comment

If it's a spam issue, better to follow the advice in THIS post for dealing with spam.
      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

I just did this using an htaccess file on the server. It stopped some of them but then I suddenly started to get USA IP's giving me problems.

Here is a good link if you want to do this: http://incredibill.me/htaccess-block-country-ips
        NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Please bear in mind that, some Universities and such can have many users under one IP Address, if you block the universities IP then no students at all will be able to visit your site. IP Banning seems to be a perfect solution however it truly depends on what type of forum you run and why your wanting to ban.

My example was based off a past client, they had a travel forum associated with their business and banning the ip from a local university was not suggested as they may want college students to visit their forum respectively, we had to deal with a few specific users individually but certain mods such as Paul M's Miserable User found on vbulletin.org worked fine for those few horrid souls .

Former vBulletin Support Staff
          Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
          Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
            Not by default, vBulletin allows you to ban visitors by ip, following that, block them at the webserver level.
            You'd need to find a site with geo ip info, even then most users can get around that sort of block with a proxy.
            I know they can get around the block BUT, do they take the time to do it? My concern is actual humans taking the time to register just to post spam.

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
            If it's a spam issue, better to follow the advice in THIS post for dealing with spam.
            I have done those things but, I still get 5-10 spammy humans who take the time to register and post crap. We need a name for these people... huspam or spumans? I want to stop them! What blows my mind is that I am very active on my forum and usually ban them within minutes. What takes them minutes to do takes me 5 seconds to delete and ban with the click of a button. What I dont get is why they even bother on my site anymore?
            Chuck
            SiriusBuzz.com

Comment

Yes, they will.

Your human verification, has only 2 questions, both of which are insanely easy to bypass. You need more questions, there is a MININUM of 5 required to have sizeable amount of long term protection. 10+ is really recommended. Since your current questions are not working, throw them out and start with 5 new questions. Since your target audience is S/XM raido, why not ask questions about specific channels, while the playlist is available on the website, you could have a ton of questions based on this alone.

Comment

Personal advice from me here...not official vBulletin recommendations.

1. Install Glowhost Spam-o-Matic with username checks disabled.
                2. Install KeyCaptcha as the human verification option
                3. Install vB Bad Behavior.

Combination of those three properly configured has stopped ALL spam 100% across three sites I manage.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                  Your human verification, has only 2 questions, both of which are insanely easy to bypass. You need more questions, there is a MININUM of 5 required to have sizeable amount of long term protection. 10+ is really recommended. Since your current questions are not working, throw them out and start with 5 new questions.
                  It doesnt matter how many I have, people... actual humans will just take the time to answer them. Right?

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                  Personal advice from me here...not official vBulletin recommendations.

1. Install Glowhost Spam-o-Matic with username checks disabled.
                  2. Install KeyCaptcha as the human verification option
                  3. Install vB Bad Behavior.

Combination of those three properly configured has stopped ALL spam 100% across three sites I manage.
                  Do you think it prevents any legit users? Have you had any feedback suggesting that legitimate people couldn't register?

Any caveats with KeyCaptcha? Id hate to think that someone who is terrible with simple puzzles couldnt register.
                  Chuck
                  SiriusBuzz.com

Comment

Originally posted by chaz7979 View Post
                    It doesnt matter how many I have, people... actual humans will just take the time to answer them. Right?

Do you think it prevents any legit users? Have you had any feedback suggesting that legitimate people couldn't register?

Any caveats with KeyCaptcha? Id hate to think that someone who is terrible with simple puzzles couldnt register.
                    Good points to raise.

vB Bad Behavior certainly doesn't stop genuine users.

Spam-O-Matic *can* do if you have username checking enabled - hence my advice to disable that part in the AdminCP. With that disabled, no genuine users get stopped.

KeyCaptcha - well, it's quite new, and for this reason I am keeping an eye on it. I don't have a high-registration site so it takes time to monitor, however I am still getting genuine registrations through.

Any human verification system can put people off. I have to say I find KeyCaptcha a *lot* more user friendly than ReCaptcha, which I usually cannot read. I find KeyCaptcha is actually quite fun to do. However it won't be for every site, and it certainly won't stop determined manual spammers.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X