Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Handling 404 errors because of shortened vB URLs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handling 404 errors because of shortened vB URLs?

How do you handle the 404 errors because of people copy and pasting shortened vB URLs? I.e., People copy/paste a shortened URL that does not work like http://www.myserver.com/forum/s...d.php?t=49583. The real URL would be http://www.myserver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49583. But instead of them copy/pasting the URL from the browser, they copy it from a post and then it doesn't work.

To make it worse, it shows up as a 404 error in the Google Webmaster tools because the page does not exist.

Thoughts?
    Kevlar
    Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

I've run into this before. I don't think there's a way to stop this...if you copy-n-paste what you see on the screen, the part of the URL shown by the "..." will never be resolved. The only way, of course is to click on the URL which opens another page or takes you to that page. Then you can copy the URL from the browser bar, finally the proper URL can be pasted somewhere else. No way around it IMO.

Unless there's a way to tell vB to display the whole URL in the post...but that takes up room/space...long URLs would have to wrap.

Kurt

Comment

There's nothing you can do about this, the software has absolutely no way of knowing what the "real" URL should be...it's just text pasted into an editor.

It does happen quite a bit and I've often thought I'd prefer it not shorten the URLs at all, but that isn't an option in the default software. I'm sure it could be done with a few file edits but vbulletin.org is the best place to ask about that. And as mentioned, very long URLs would be a horrible mess.

One possible solution is to install one of those modifications that pulls the title information from the site and displays that as a link instead of the actual URL...however the sort of people who copy the shortened URL won't know how to copy that either so it doesn't really solve the problem.
      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Yup... I don't think having long URLs on my forum would solve the problem because most of the 404 error are reported out servers outside of my control (i.e., pasted on other forums or websites). I was thinking of trying to do a rewrite rule to catch and URL to the site that was pattern matched to s...d.php?t=34982, but I haven't gotten that far yet.
        Kevlar
        Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

Comment