Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to install a previously saved vbulletin database?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zachery
    replied
    vBulletin isn't overly concerned about the db backend. It really doesn't know any better.

Leave a comment:

• ringo47
    replied
    Originally posted by Hartmut View Post
    Download vBulletin 3.8.7 PL3 from your customer area, upload it to your server and start an upgrade with http://www.yourdomain.tld/install/upgrade.php. After you did this you should have a working copy of your database running vBulletin 3.8.7 PL3. From there you can run the upgrade script to vBulletin 4.2.0 PL2.
    As it turns out it was a 3.5.8 database that I was trying to "resuscitate".

I did what you said upgrade using 3.8.7 PL3 and everything works....

One thing I did find "interesting" (as an frustrating) was that I actually was able the first time around to upgrade to 4.2.0 PL 2 but when I tried to open the form nothing happened i.e. received the message that it could not find a webpage. My administrative panel worked fine but there was no form that I could find i.e. every time I went to /forms/index.php, nothing happened ( could not find the page).

It was only one I found a very old version of the website (3.5.8) which included the forums folder that I was able actually get the forms to appear but the links didn't work properly. It was only after I upgraded to 3.8.7 that everything worked okay i.e. both both a forms page and links working properly.

I want to move just the forms to a different server and other than the content of the forums folder and the MySQL forums database is anything else I need to move. Based on my previous experience when I tried to move just the content of the forums folder and MySQL database, I could upgrade but nothing happened when I tried to access the forums (error message saying could not find the page).

Also if I want to move to vbulletin 5 and I upgrade my MySQL version from 5.01 to 5.5, what happens in terms of MySQL version compatibilities and its effect on the forums?

Does doing an upgrade automatically take this into account? And what about moving from a server that is running MySQL 5.01 to a server that is running MySQL 5.5?

Thank you all for your help.

Leave a comment:

• Hartmut
    replied
    Originally posted by ringo47 View Post
    Running upgrader is what gives the message:

Your vBulletin (3.5.8) does not appear to be running the version that was downloaded (4.0.6).

This generally means your upgrade was not successful. Please ensure that you have uploaded the latest files and click here to try again.

If you are sure you wish to continue with this part of the upgrade, click here.
    Download vBulletin 3.8.7 PL3 from your customer area, upload it to your server and start an upgrade with http://www.yourdomain.tld/install/upgrade.php. After you did this you should have a working copy of your database running vBulletin 3.8.7 PL3. From there you can run the upgrade script to vBulletin 4.2.0 PL2.

Leave a comment:

• ringo47
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    You don't run the installer, or the upgrader if you're using the same version as the database you are on. Are you sure its a 4.0.6 backup?
    I'm not 100% sure as to the version of the database. Is there way to determine database vbulletin version by examining the .sql file.?

Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
    Seems it is a 3.5.8 database.
    This is possible. I need to do some more homework.

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    You don't run the installer, or the upgrader if you're using the same version as the database you are on. Are you sure its a 4.0.6 backup?

Your vBulletin (3.5.8) does not appear to be running the version that was downloaded (4.0.6).
    Seems it is a 3.5.8 database.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    Originally posted by ringo47 View Post

This generally means your upgrade was not successful. Please ensure that you have uploaded the latest files and click here to try again.

Did you try to upgrade to 3.8 then to 4.0.6 ?

Leave a comment:

• ringo47
    replied
    Originally posted by beishe8 View Post

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    Run the upgrader: http://mysite.com/myforum/install/upgrade.php

Leave a comment:

• ringo47
    replied
    Did which part?
    I installed 4.0.6 and when it connected to my database it gave me the message:

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Did which part?

Leave a comment:

• ringo47
    replied
    Restore the database, upload 4.0.6 files, and edit the config.php to point to this database. See if everything works. Assuming its all good, I'd recommend upgrading to 4.1.12 or 4.2.0.
    I did this and the message I get back is:

4.0.6 was an upgrade from 3.5.8. Does this mean that I must go back to 3.5.8 to restore the database?

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Restore the database, upload 4.0.6 files, and edit the config.php to point to this database. See if everything works. Assuming its all good, I'd recommend upgrading to 4.1.12 or 4.2.0.

Leave a comment:

• Best way to install a previously saved vbulletin database?

I have a previously created MySQL vbulletin database that I would like to "resurrect"

I no longer have the original forum that created this database. It was created under 4.06.

What is the best way to recover the database?

Thank you in advance for your help.