Blog Spam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Blog] Blog Spam

I am being bombarded by spam posting on my vBulletin Blog. It is an automatic software that is doing it with different email and user names. What do I need to do to stop it?

Does this spam seem to inserted by a non-forum member or is it spambots registering then posting the blogs?

There's tons of useful links and info here regarding stopping spam - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=276547

*However it seems as if you should simply add a new usergroup (secondary) and after a registered member makes so many posts they can have that usergroup assigned via the promotion system. Set the new "Blogs Users" usergroup to allows blog posts but remove that from regular members. This way when any new spambots register an account as a plain old regular member they will have to make a few valid posts, allowing you time to see said post and determine if they are spambot before they are promoted respectively, in the end it will cut down on the spam being posted to your blog.

Former vBulletin Support Staff
    Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
    Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!
    Need a Host? - I recommend URLJet

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Miller View Post
      Does this spam seem to inserted by a non-forum member or is it spambots registering then posting the blogs?

There's tons of useful links and info here regarding stopping spam - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=276547

*However it seems as if you should simply add a new usergroup (secondary) and after a registered member makes so many posts they can have that usergroup assigned via the promotion system. Set the new "Blogs Users" usergroup to allows blog posts but remove that from regular members. This way when any new spambots register an account as a plain old regular member they will have to make a few valid posts, allowing you time to see said post and determine if they are spambot before they are promoted respectively, in the end it will cut down on the spam being posted to your blog.
      Hi Michael
      I am afraid I am not that savvy with this type of thing but somehow they are posting dozens of posts to the blog section each day with different emails and user accounts. It is some software thing they are using probably on a huge scale to my site and many others. I am about ready to dump the blog option on my message boards
      Thanks for your info
      Don

Comment

They sound like bots. Set up some Human Verification Options. I prefer the random Question and Answer method.
        vBulletin.org Profile

Comment

Do like mike406 told, also you can try Spam-O-Matic which can be found at www.vbulletin.org in order to get along with this problem.
          No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X