Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] New links in vBulletin 4 compared to vBulletin 3

Hi all,

I notice that the links in vBulletin 4 show not a thread ID, but words (which is probably better for search engine optimization). My question is this: what will happen to old links when I upgrade from vB3 - and they still show on Google as the old link ID? Or will Google quickly correct it?

Thanks in advance

The threadid are in the forum urls in vB4, but not vB5.

The vB3 default URL structure maps into vB4 (and 5) with a 301 redirect.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
      The threadid are in the forum urls in vB4, but not vB5.

The vB3 default URL structure maps into vB4 (and 5) with a 301 redirect.
      Ah, so Google would automatically redirect such an old link to the new one? Sorry for my ignorance.

Comment

YEs, and your old links continue to be redirected.

Comment

Well, it seems my worst fears have come true. I upgraded to vBulletin 4 from vBulletin 3 in February, and I've seen a massive fall in traffic coming from Google. I attach my referral report from Google Analytics.

Comment

Is there a way to see a more specific day/week the traffic began falling off? I know Google updated their "Panda" algorithm at the end of January 2013, curious if it may be part of the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
              Is there a way to see a more specific day/week the traffic began falling off? I know Google updated their "Panda" algorithm at the end of January 2013, curious if it may be part of the issue.
              Hmm I think the breakdown by day is the closest I can get. It seems to be falling off at around the first half of February. I did my upgrade on 13 February.
              Last edited by JKerviel12; Fri 26 Jul '13, 2:21pm.

Comment

Wait, you are right. It must have been Panda. I've narrowed down February, and it seems Google traffic has actually increased after my upgrade:

http://i40.tinypic.com/244wavs.gif

False alarm, sorry.

Comment