Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the limitation number for CMS sections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [CMS] What is the limitation number for CMS sections?

Hi

We know in forums, you can't add more than 400 forum in your board for performance issues, what about CMS sections? is there the same problem?

I have a site needs too many sections (about 3000 !!) so is CMS able to handle this without any performance issues?

Thanks in advance.
    One of highly customized vBCMS used for news site.
    www.manshor.net

No one knows?
    www.manshor.net

Comment

Technically the software supports about 4 billion CMS nodes. How much your site can support will vary widely depending on the server configuration. Same with forums. We have sites with almost 9000 forums and no problems and others with fewer than a 100 and they have problems because of few resources. Not really a question we can answer directly. I don't know of anyone else who has 3,000 sections. Usually if you need that many, something is wrong. Try using a combination of sections and categories to lower that number.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thanks Wayne, The problem that let me thought of use 3000 sections, depending on layout issues, you know, with categories you have to use the layout of the parent section, and this is not help me at all.
        The only way that may reduce the number of sections and is using one section with php direct evaluation content that brings data from other database tables, and if I can send variables to widgets in that section and make that sections change what they display depending on that variable we can solve the problem.

To make the idea clear for you, I have a DB for soccer players and want to make a specifc page for every player includes his information (as php direct evaluation content type) and some widgets like pictures for him, videos, his statistics, and so on.

So is what I want possible without using sections?

Regards.
        Last edited by SilverBoy; Thu 13th Sep '12, 11:57pm.
        www.manshor.net

Comment

With a different layout per person, no. A section with one article isn't going to be resource heavy. The section navigation widget wouldn't work well though.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Yes the section navigation widget will not work at all ^_^
            But I don't plan to use it any way.
            BTW, my question was, can I display different output for the same widget according to what article I read now?, with other word, can I send a hidden variable to widgets?
            Let me explained in more details, if I create one section and name it "Players", I will add for example widget to display his pictures, so if I browse article for player1, I want the widget to display the pictures for that player, and when I go to the page of the player2, the same widget in the same layout must display the pictures for the player2 in this case.
            I think there is a way to do this, because you have some thing similar in the default widgets, I'm talking about "category nav" widget, which display categories in the section that I browse, so there is a way to send variables to widgets to change their output, I'm right?
            www.manshor.net

Comment

You cannot send hidden variables to widgets. If you use the php execution widget, you should be able to globalize the $vbulletin and $node arrays to determine what page you're on and write code around that.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Good, that's what I was want to here from you
                Thanks
                www.manshor.net

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X