Bad link to profile for one usergroup only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Bad link to profile for one usergroup only

I have one usergroup that when they hit the profile link they get a message that they do not have permission to access their profile. But this usergroup does have this permission.

They can get there by going to the Settings LInk and clicking on Profile from there but not via the obvious link at the top of the page.

Any ideas why this is happening please?

Can anyone please help me with this?

Comment

Have you looked at the two URLs and seen if they are different in anyway?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Yes, they are different, but they are different for everyone (as they are also right here on this forum).

Profile link is: member.php?u=(member#)
        and the link for Edit Profile through the Settings link is: profile.php?do=editprofile

These are identical for all member groups yet that one member group still gets the cannot access message when using the Profile link.

Comment

Check to see if they can edit their profile in the user group manager.
          BrainTalk is a support group for friends, family, caregivers, and patients with neurological disorders and other health related diagnosis.

BrainTalk Communities Inc
          sigpic

Comment

YES, their permissions are set for them to edit their profile.

Comment

Does this user group have a secondary user group? If so does the secondary user group have permission to edit their profiles?
              BrainTalk is a support group for friends, family, caregivers, and patients with neurological disorders and other health related diagnosis.

BrainTalk Communities Inc
              sigpic

Comment

No secondary usergroup.

And because of these answers, that is why I am so confused. There is just no reason that they should not be able to access that link. i am sure I must be overlooking something but I am really clueless as to what that could be!

Comment

I thought you meant they were going to the same page, from links on different pages, and getting different results which is why I asked about the urls.

Have you tried disabling your modifications? Have you tried with a default style?

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

I thought you meant they were going to the same page, from links on different pages, and getting different results
                    I think that is what I meant, or I dont understand what you are saying. But for clarification: a usergroup with permission to modify their profile can only get to their profile through the link under the Settings Link, but when they click on the main Profile link, it says they do not have permission to access it. Clearly they have permission, or they would get the same error when they click Edit Profile under the Settings link.

No, I have not tried disabling mods, I will try that. It might be a day or two until I can find the opportunity to do that, so I will come back here after I do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kat View Post
                      I think that is what I meant, or I dont understand what you are saying. But for clarification: a usergroup with permission to modify their profile can only get to their profile through the link under the Settings Link, but when they click on the main Profile link, it says they do not have permission to access it. Clearly they have permission, or they would get the same error when they click Edit Profile under the Settings link.
                      You said earlier:

Yes, they are different, but they are different for everyone (as they are also right here on this forum).

Profile link is: member.php?u=(member#)
                      and the link for Edit Profile through the Settings link is: profile.php?do=editprofile

These are identical for all member groups yet that one member group still gets the cannot access message when using the Profile link.
                      Those are two totally different pages and have different permissions. Everyone may go to edit their own profile, but not everyone has access to view members page (Usergroup Manager > edit Usergroup > Can View Member Info). So, check that setting.

Comment

Well, I guess that solves it, although I do not understand it at all! The link says MY PROFILE.... not VIEW MEMBERS. So why does not giving them access to the members list make it so they cannot access the MY PROFILE link?

There needs to be some work around for that, I would think. I do have a user group that I do not want to have see the others members info, but they do not like it when they think they cannot access their own profile.

So now, even though I do not want them to be able to view others info, I pretty much have to give them access (or else spend hours each day explaining to people why they cannot access a link that says MY PROFILE).

Comment

Well, I guess that solves it, although I do not understand it at all! The link says MY PROFILE.... not VIEW MEMBERS. So why does not giving them access to the members list make it so they cannot access the MY PROFILE link?

There needs to be some work around for that, I would think. I do have a user group that I do not want to have see the others members info, but they do not like it when they think they cannot access their own profile.

So now, even though I do not want them to be able to view others info, I pretty much have to give them access (or else spend hours each day explaining to people why they cannot access a link that says MY PROFILE).
                          Remove the link from view for those users...

<vb:if condition="!is_member_of($userinfo, %USERGROUPID%)">link code</vb:if>

You would edit the header template and use a conditional like the one about replace %USERGROUPID% with the usergroup ID of the group in question and they won't see a link labelled My Profile.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

That does not make sense either because then they will be bugging me about where to go to edit their profile.

Comment

That does not make sense either because then they will be bugging me about where to go to edit their profile.
                              But they don't go to My Profile to edit it. They go to Settings to edit it.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X