moving vbulletin to a new host

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] moving vbulletin to a new host

im currently moving my vbulletin to a new host. how do i install the vbulletin on a new host but keep my website the way it was before

If both host have cpanel you can move the entire account over via cpanel.

Comment

how do you do that?

Comment

Depending on your new host they will move everything over for you at no charge.

Comment

ive already been on the phone with them a few time and that never came up. i just switched to bluehost

Comment

This covers everything: https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/moving_servers

Basically there are two parts to your site: The files and the database. In the default setup the files don't change at all unless you have a custom style or add smilies. The database is where all your information resides.

The easiest way to move between hosts is download all files from your existing host and upload them to your new host.

Dump your database - I usually do this through the command line but you can use phpmyadmin to export the database to you computer. Upload the database, this will be in the form of a .sql file to the root of your new host. Create a new database @ the new host and open a ticket with them giving them the database name, username, and password to request they import the database you uploaded. After it's imported delete the sql file from your new host.

Lastly you would update config.php with your new database details.

If you're moving from a cPanel host to another cPanel host they will usually copy everything for free as cPanel makes it pretty simple.
            Big Dan - @DanHutter
            Our DJ Talk - My vB Forum
            Two new vB boards I'm working on - Men's Weight Loss Community | Debate Chat - Where Intelligent Debate Happens

Comment

ok, well ive imported the data base and im transfering the forum root files via ftp with the edited config.php file so lets see how this works

- - - Updated - - -

thank you, migration was a sucsess

Comment

Glad to hear Gamers.
                Big Dan - @DanHutter
                Two new vB boards I'm working on - Men's Weight Loss Community | Debate Chat - Where Intelligent Debate Happens

Comment

I'm getting ready to do the same thing as the OP. If my new hosts turns out to be unsatisfactory, can I quickly switch back to my original host just by changing nameservers back to my original host if that account is still active?
                  Last edited by testerv; Fri 31st Aug '12, 1:47pm. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by testerv View Post
                    I'm getting ready to do the same thing as the OP. If my new hosts turns out to be unsatisfactory, can I quickly switch back to my original host just by changing nameservers back to my original host if that account is still active?
                    Yes but you will loose any posts made on the new hosts unless you overwrite the database from the new host to the old host.
                    Big Dan - @DanHutter

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Btw, how has dreamhost been working for your vB sites?

Comment

Originally posted by testerv View Post
                        Thanks for the tips. Btw, how has dreamhost been working for your vB sites?
                        I just moved my main vB off the Dreamhost VPS. I had a mysterious 500 error and my site was down for over an hour when I didn't make any changes. Support took 7 hours to respond to the ticket and then played dumb.

I do have a new vB install on their shared hosting it runs well.
                        Big Dan - @DanHutter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X