Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] vBulletin 404 Error Page

Hi Guys,

I recently moved from Xenforo back to vBulletin and received a notice today from Google's Webmaster Tools about an increase in soft 404 errors which makes sense because all the forum Xenforo URLs no longer exist and there is no redirection in place. The trouble is vBulletin is not returning the proper error code here's an example Xenforo URL: http://ourdjtalk.com/threads/carvin-...problem.45714/ for which vB returns an invalid thread specified error.

Click image for larger version

Name:	soft404.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	3724502

My first thought was to just disallow /threads/ and /forums/ in robots.txt and let Google sort it out but vBulletin uses the same paths so that would block all my content from spiders.

I'm running the latest 4.2.0PL2 with full mod_rewrite URLs and would like vBulletin to return a 410 (Gone) status and redirect to the home page on a 404.

From looking at the default htaccess, vBulletin has code in there dealing with 404s but I'm not sure what to change to get the proper status code and redirect.

Code:
    # Check MVC result
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ - [NC,L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ - [R=404,L]
    Thanks in advance,
    Dan
    Big Dan - @DanHutter
    Our DJ Talk - My vB Forum
    Two new vB boards I'm working on - Men's Weight Loss Community | Debate Chat - Where Intelligent Debate Happens

Support was no help with this either.

Hi.

I think there are two ways that you can take.

One is to use htaccess rewrite to show 404 when /threads/...ends with .numbers

or modify vbulletin codes to generate a 404 during invalid thread specified error.

Thanks,

<snip>
    Support Staff,
    vBulletin Solutions Inc.
    All I want vBulletin to do is return a valid 404 and redirect to the homepage after. This shouldn't be so difficult.
    Big Dan - @DanHutter
    Our DJ Talk - My vB Forum
    Two new vB boards I'm working on - Men's Weight Loss Community | Debate Chat - Where Intelligent Debate Happens

Comment