Merging 3.6.1 site to 4.2.0 site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Merging 3.6.1 site to 4.2.0 site

I have an existing vBulletin 4.2.0 site. I may have someone who is interested in moving their site to mine, his is a 3.6.1 vBulletin site.

How do I do this? And, what exactly can or would be moved over? I'd like the members (obviously), threads, posts, sigs, avs, etc... Where would the threads be placed?

What would happen with matching Member ID's and/or matching member names.

Anxiously looking forward to opinions, suggestions, comments.

Thanks!!

You would use IMPEX. Everything will be copied over: users, forums, threads, posts, attachments, avatars, etc. All content is placed into the imported forums from there you will have to move everything around to fit within with your site. For instance, if both boards had a general discussion forum, simply move threads into one forum and delete the empty one.

You have the option to merge users with matching email addresses. I believe conflicting user names will pop up during the import process and you can choose what to do.
    Big Dan - @DanHutter
    Our DJ Talk - My vB Forum
    Two new vB boards I'm working on - Men's Weight Loss Community | Debate Chat - Where Intelligent Debate Happens

Comment

Make sure to upgrade the older forum to the 4.2.0 version before you merge both forums.

Comment

Originally posted by borbole View Post
        Make sure to upgrade the older forum to the 4.2.0 version before you merge both forums.
        Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns

Links: vBulletin Manual - Code Documentation - FAQ - Bug Tracker - Lemon Juice
        vBulletin 5 Connect: Extensions - Articles - Features - Purchases

Comment

I would honestly suggest taking backups of both sites and doing it as is with the 3.6 forum into the 4.0 forum. Not much sense running a huge upgrade just to then import the data anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
            I would honestly suggest taking backups of both sites and doing it as is with the 3.6 forum into the 4.0 forum. Not much sense running a huge upgrade just to then import the data anyway.
            I don't understand what you said here. Please explain.

Comment

Make backups, run import.

Comment

Gotcha. As opposed to posts 3 & 4 in this thread. Yeah, the older board will be a 3.6.1 just need to find in the "Tiers". Which one would I use?

Comment

I've been reading up on Impex but there are a few questions that I have.

- Do both boards have to be closed during the process? Doesn't implicitly mention it in the directions unless I missed it.
                  - Once the import is done the source board will be emptied out?
                  - I notice you have to fill in the database name for the source in one of the file setups. What about the URL?

Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_R View Post
                    I've been reading up on Impex but there are a few questions that I have.

- Do both boards have to be closed during the process? Doesn't implicitly mention it in the directions unless I missed it.
                    - Once the import is done the source board will be emptied out?
                    - I notice you have to fill in the database name for the source in one of the file setups. What about the URL?

Thanks!!
                    1. No, but it's a good idea. I always close both boards when doing imports
                    2. No. IMPEX only copies data it doesn't change or remove anything in the source database
                    3. The URL doesn't matter you're only grabbing data from the database.
                    Big Dan - @DanHutter
                    Two new vB boards I'm working on - Men's Weight Loss Community | Debate Chat - Where Intelligent Debate Happens

Comment

I'd like to thank everyone for their help. Especially Big Dan.

They'll be more questions, I'm sure, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_R View Post
                        I'd like to thank everyone for their help. Especially Big Dan.

They'll be more questions, I'm sure, LOL.
                        Good luck with the import. We'll be here if you get lost along the way.
                        Big Dan - @DanHutter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X