Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you delete all contents of the database and start afresh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Answered] Can you delete all contents of the database and start afresh?

I've been fiddling around with a test installation of VB for a couple months using test posts and accounts. Now I'm ready to go live and would like to wipe the database of all the test accounts/posts etc so it's all fresh. Is there any way to do this? Alternatively, can I set up a brand new database and connect VB to that somehow? Thanks!

When you run the install script on an existing database, it starts off with an option to delete all the data in the that database, so go with that.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Yes, you can do either, you can upload vBulletin files (if files already uploaded, then just upload install.php to the install directory) and navigate to it in your browser, making sure to run install.php or it will start upgrade.php instead. Once it loads and prompts you for your customer number, it will prompt you to clear the database tables, select all boxes and proceed. That will install vBulletin as new.

You can also choose to create another database and do install. but you don't have to.
      To be or not to be... Where the hell is the question????
      My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too

Live vBulletin 4.2.0 Multilingual * Alpha/Beta vB 4 - vB 5 Tier 1A
      CentOS 6.2 - Apache:2.2.15(Apache2Handler) - PHP:5.3.3 - MySQL:5.1.61
      Xampp/Win-XP - Apache v2.2.21(Apache2Handler) - PHP:5.3.8 - MySQL:5.5.16

Comment

Many thanks. If I run the install script will that over-write any of the templates and settings? I've made a few minor changes to the templates, and changed quite a few setting in the admincp. Or will it just empty out the database?

Comment

Yes, but you make sure when prompted to drop/clear the database tables, you check mark all the boxes and it will remove all data and styling and will install a fresh one for you.
          To be or not to be... Where the hell is the question????
          My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too

Live vBulletin 4.2.0 Multilingual * Alpha/Beta vB 4 - vB 5 Tier 1A
          CentOS 6.2 - Apache:2.2.15(Apache2Handler) - PHP:5.3.3 - MySQL:5.1.61
          Xampp/Win-XP - Apache v2.2.21(Apache2Handler) - PHP:5.3.8 - MySQL:5.5.16

Comment

Originally posted by arthur22 View Post
            Many thanks. If I run the install script will that over-write any of the templates and settings? I've made a few minor changes to the templates, and changed quite a few setting in the admincp. Or will it just empty out the database?
            Yes, since the settings and templates are stored in the database you will overwrite those completely.

If you just want to remove posts and users it's best to delete these manually via the admincp rather than running install.
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Keep the current test forum (rename it to test) and do a fresh install into the live forum directory. That way you will have a running test forum in one directory and a live forum that is a brand new install in the live forum. At this point you make the templates and all the other Admin CP changes to the live forum. Once the changes are made turn on the live forum.

Knowing how to setup a test forum is an important part of running a forum IMHO.

Comment

Thanks for the speedy replies. I hadn't considered running a parallel test forum but that is certainly a good idea...will have a think about it.

Am I right in thinking that, for the new live forum with its fresh database, I can import the admincp setting from an xml file, in the backup/restore section of VB options? If that would carry over all of the admincp setting to the fresh database then I would just need to edit the templates.

Comment

Originally posted by arthur22 View Post

Am I right in thinking that, for the new live forum with its fresh database, I can import the admincp setting from an xml file, in the backup/restore section of VB options? If that would carry over all of the admincp setting to the fresh database then I would just need to edit the templates.
                  I don't think that's possible. It would be a nice feature though.

Comment

Hi Andy - in the manual it says this about the xml backup/restore function for VB options:

"This is useful when backing up a board or moving an install from one site to another, or for replicating a board from a test environment to a live site, or visa versa for testing purposes."

Would that not work in this situation? I think I need to understand when this would be useful if it doesn't quite do what I think it does.

Comment

You should provide a link to the xml backup/restore function you mentioned.

Comment

A link to the manual is here: https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...estore_options

Also, one other question - if I go ahead and run the install script again, do I need to have reuploaded fresh copies of all the vbulletin files, or can I go ahead and use the files I already have on the server? Merjawy implied that I could use the files I already have, just wanted to check if that's correct.

Comment

A link to the online manual is here:

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/

Where did you find the link you provided?

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...estore_options

Regarding the vbulletin files, it wouldn't make a difference, they would be the same because all the modifications you make are stored in the database. I assume you're not installing any third party products or add-ons.

Comment

The backup and restore options are available in debug mode, (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82835). I never knew that option existed it will save me a lot of time when testing things!
                            Big Dan - @DanHutter
                            Our DJ Talk - My vB Forum
                            Two new vB boards I'm working on - Men's Weight Loss Community | Debate Chat - Where Intelligent Debate Happens

Comment

OK, I'm officially confused...I found the manual I linked to through a google search, but it's differrent to the main manual you linked to Andy...in my version of the manual the link to the backup/restore settings page appears under the VB - Option menu here: https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...tions_settings but that doesn't appear in the manual Andy linked to.

I did a check and lots of pages from this alternative (or old, or whatever it is) manual (with "main" in the url) appear in searches. Very confusing for a newbie like me...

And then I'm confused about debug mode too - my site isn't in debug mode, and I've doublechecked my config file to make sure of this. But I still see the "backup/restore" option on the VB Settings - Options page (on the left side of the page, just below "expand settings groups", not as part of the dropdown menu). Do other people not see this? I am using 4.2.0 patch level 2. Any help appreciated!

Comment