No announcement yet.

How to create a blank default style ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] How to create a blank default style ?

Is it possible to create a style that is exactly the same as a new forum, ie....empty just as it was when created using the original software ?
    <<<<<<<<< It is over there !

Yes, you can do that

AdminCP > Styles & Templates >> Style Manager > Add New Style

You will see the link below the boxes " Add New Style "
    Give it a name and select no parent for it.
    That will give you a default style
    To be or not to be... Where the hell is the question????
    My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too

Live vBulletin 4.2.0 Multilingual * Alpha/Beta vB 4 - vB 5 Tier 1A
    CentOS 6.2 - Apache:2.2.15(Apache2Handler) - PHP:5.3.3 - MySQL:5.1.61
    Xampp/Win-XP - Apache v2.2.21(Apache2Handler) - PHP:5.3.8 - MySQL:5.5.16

Comment

I understand that, what I mean is a style that is completely blank...no threads or posts ? empty just as it was when first formatted.

Comment

What I told you is how to create a default style as you asked... Styles don't hold any thread and/or posts, its the forum's skin the design of which you see... The threads and post and the rest of the stuff is stored in the database.

If you are asking how to create a new fresh forum, that's different

Upload your vBulletin files to your site and run /forum/install/install.php (provided you edited config.php and created a new database)

That will create a new forum for you with nothing on on but your username as the main admin and no threads on it
        My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too

Comment

Originally posted by Merjawy View Post
          What I told you is how to create a default style as you asked... Styles don't hold any thread and/or posts, its the forum's skin the design of which you see... The threads and post and the rest of the stuff is stored in the database.
          Yes they do ! try it, I know you are trying to assist but that information is not correct.

Comment

OK. Maybe I am just not understanding you... I'm sorry, ignore all that I said please

Comment

Originally posted by josiah View Post
              Yes they do ! try it, I know you are trying to assist but that information is not correct.
              Merjawy is correct. All a style does is control the look of your site.

If you want completely blank site with no threads or posts you will have to setup a test or development board.
              Big Dan - @DanHutter
              Our DJ Talk - My vB Forum
              Two new vB boards I'm working on - Men's Weight Loss Community | Debate Chat - Where Intelligent Debate Happens

Comment

Originally posted by josiah View Post
                To back up what Merjawy said, styles DO NOT contain posts, or threads. A style can show this information.

Please explain in full what you want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                  To back up what Merjawy said, styles DO NOT contain posts, or threads. A style can show this information.

Please explain in full what you want to do.

Here is a screenshot of my default.......................................

Click image for larger version

Name:	DEFAULT.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	3689949

I have just set up a new style using the method previously mentioned and backed up by several of you who maintain that the new style will contain NO posts or THREADS.........

Click image for larger version

Name:	TEST.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	3689950..............am I hullucinating ?
                  Last edited by josiah; Wed 22nd Aug '12, 11:39pm. Reason: spelling

Comment

The style sits on top of the functionality, it's only look and feel - if you have posts in your database, they will show on ALL styles you create unless you take out the calls to show them in the templates.

Think of it this way (there's probably a better analagy...), your database containing users, threads, posts etc is the chassis of your car, the vBulletin files the engine that makes it run - the styles are simply the outer shell that give the car it's look. No matter what shell you put on the car, everything that you have there to run it will be there
                    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                    -
                    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                    - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
                    - "Quick Route" Interface...
                    - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, my original question is can I have another "style" that will be devoid of any posts and threads, in the screenshot I have the black style and the white style each with the same posts and threads, I would like one which is empty of any input...is that possible, regards,P

Comment

Unless there are no posts on your forum to begin with, this is not possible. The explanations above are telling you that the style does not effect the content of your forum. If there are posts already resident on your forum then the style will just change the look of things but will not remove the posts.

The style is cosmetic only. So to put the answer in simple terms:-

my original question is can I have another "style" that will be devoid of any posts and threads,
                        No, you can't.
                        I know violence isn't the answer . . . I got it wrong on purpose
                        Rep Owners - New forum for reptile owners/lovers
                        sigpic

Comment

In that case how can I delete every single thread and post, every modification I have made and start with a clean sheet from scratch as it was initially set up ?

Comment

upload install.php to you /forum/install/ directory and run it yourdomain/yourforum/install/install.php and when promoted to clear the database tables, select all boxes and proceed.

WARNING: This will delete everything in your database, threads, posts, mods, users.. Everything and you will start fresh

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X