Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In which directory are User Profile Pictures located?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Forum] In which directory are User Profile Pictures located?

    1) In which directory are individual profile pictures located?
    2) And in which table is the image name specified for a user's profile picture?

    Thanks. -- Rik

  • #2
    By default profile pictures and avatars are stored in the database.

    To check how avatars and profile pictures are currently stored on your forum:

    Admin CP -> Avatars -> User Picture Storage Type
    Last edited by Andy; Sat 11th Aug '12, 6:42am.

    Comment


    • #3
      Andy:

      I see that the User Picture Storage Type is shown as being "served from the database". But there isn't an option there to change that.

      Also, in Admin CP -> Settings -> Image Settings, there is no option to change the storage method there.

      Is one required to use the database storage method? Or are you aware of the place to change it?

      Sorry for so many questions. Thanks again. -- Rik

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Rik Brown View Post
        Andy:

        I see that the User Picture Storage Type is shown as being "served from the database". But there isn't an option there to change that.

        Also, in Admin CP -> Settings -> Image Settings, there is no option to change the storage method there.

        Is one required to use the database storage method? Or are you aware of the place to change it?

        Sorry for so many questions. Thanks again. -- Rik
        If you read carefully, you will see that the title of the User Picture Storage Type is "Move Items from Database into File System", you just need to be sure that the defined paths are readable and writeable by your web server (chmod 777). After that you have to press the Go button.

        Regards
        vBulletin Services I offer: www.Todo10.com
        Technical vB/Server/Hosting support Service also!

        Comment


        • #5
          cloferba:

          Ah-ha! I don't know how many times I looked at that page without noticing the title. I just thought I was looking at directory definitions and not actual movement into those directories.

          I understand now.

          Thanks to both of you. -- Rik

          Comment


          • #6
            I suggest leaving the profile pictures and avatars storage type in the database, one less thing to worry about.

            Comment


            • #7
              Andy: I agree, except that I need to share them with another program not directly associated with vBulletin, but part of our website. Thanks, again. -- Rik

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Rik Brown View Post
                Andy: I agree, except that I need to share them with another program not directly associated with vBulletin, but part of our website. Thanks, again. -- Rik
                Hi Rik,

                If you wanted to read the database table directly your other program that should be no problem either.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Andy: I'll check into that. But wouldn't reading images out of the database be slower than serving images from disk? Thanks. -- Rik

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Rik Brown View Post
                    Andy: I'll check into that. But wouldn't reading images out of the database be slower than serving images from disk? Thanks. -- Rik
                    Depends on your disks... MySQL actually stores binary uploads as individual files on the drive as it is. They are simply indexed so retrieval is faster. If you have a modern 10,000 RPM Drive with journaled file access, then you're basically running a fast database on your drive anyway. If you're using 5400 RPM drives with an older file system than it will be slower. If your storage is accessed via NFS or SAMBA, than it will be slower. Etc...
                    Translations provided by Google.

                    Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Rik Brown View Post
                      Andy: I'll check into that. But wouldn't reading images out of the database be slower than serving images from disk? Thanks. -- Rik
                      Doesn't make much difference when considering profile and avatars images are very small and they will be quickly cached by the browser.

                      Comment

                      widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X