Text overlaps avatars in Activity stream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Text overlaps avatars in Activity stream

I recently did my first "test" import from UBBThreads to work the bugs out before I go live. The next problem I need help with is how text is overlapping the users Avatars in the "Activity Stream".

I'm attaching an example. Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks in advance. 5 million questions to follow

Fix is stated within this thread - https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...s-over-avatars

Former vBulletin Support Staff
    Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
    Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

That gives a CSS-based fix, and it will work fine. The problem is simply that the activity stream uses avatar thumbnails and assumes that the thumbnails exist. You'll want to make sure your customavatars/thumbs folder is writable and go to Admin CP -> Maintenance -> General Update Tools and run Rebuild Custom Avatar Thumbnails.

Comment

I see your logic Matthew however I thought this was due to some users using Avatars larger than 60px or so (or perhaps the Admins allowing large sizes etc), see Wayne's reply here - https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...=1#post2307239

Basil, try Matthew's tip first then check, if that does not sort it try the CSS fix and let us know which one worked in your situation AND if you were using larger than normal avatars please let us know as well .

Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

The root cause is that it is assuming that avatar thumbnails exist - if they don't, it'll fall back to the full-sized avatar. The CSS works perfectly fine to fix the problem (CMS comments already use similar CSS, that's why people don't notice it there). Either way is fine, but it's a good idea to fix the lack of thumbnails.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Gordon View Post
            That gives a CSS-based fix, and it will work fine. The problem is simply that the activity stream uses avatar thumbnails and assumes that the thumbnails exist. You'll want to make sure your customavatars/thumbs folder is writable and go to Admin CP -> Maintenance -> General Update Tools and run Rebuild Custom Avatar Thumbnails.
            Ok, I did as you suggested. I made sure the customavatar AND the thumbs directory are writable. Then I ran the rebuild custom avatar script as you suggested. I'm puzzled. It did not fix the problem. I was expecting to see thumbnail images to be in the customavatar/thumbs directory after I ran the script. However, there are no image files in the thumbs directory (only an index file) after running the script. I are confused.

Comment

Originally posted by BasilFawlty View Post
              Ok, I did as you suggested. I made sure the customavatar AND the thumbs directory are writable. Then I ran the rebuild custom avatar script as you suggested. I'm puzzled. It did not fix the problem. I was expecting to see thumbnail images to be in the customavatar/thumbs directory after I ran the script. However, there are no image files in the thumbs directory (only an index file) after running the script. I are confused.
              I'm assuming your custom avatars are currently stored in the database, then. You can go to Admin CP -> Avatars -> User Picture Storage Type to move them if you'd like. I just make note to make sure the folder is writable in case you have them in the file system.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Gordon View Post
                I'm assuming your custom avatars are currently stored in the database, then. You can go to Admin CP -> Avatars -> User Picture Storage Type to move them if you'd like. I just make note to make sure the folder is writable in case you have them in the file system.
                Yeah, when I look at the avatars URL it does appear to be pointing to a database vice just a .gif or .jpg. I'll try the Picture Storage thing and try rebuilding them. Here goes.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I changed to files stored in ./customavatars and I ran the "rebuild custom thumbs" and viola, I now have images in the ./customavatar/thumbs directory. However, the thumb size in the Activity Stream is the same as before. Even for new posts. Where is the size of the Avatar Thumbs controlled?

Comment

Just don't want this thread to get burined. As stated, I successfully generated the custom avatar thumbs, but the text in the "Activity Stream" page is stoll overlapping the avatars. (AS if teh Avatar thumbs are too big). Where are the avatar thumb sizes controlled?

Comment

Originally posted by BasilFawlty View Post
                    Just don't want this thread to get burined. As stated, I successfully generated the custom avatar thumbs, but the text in the "Activity Stream" page is stoll overlapping the avatars. (AS if teh Avatar thumbs are too big). Where are the avatar thumb sizes controlled?
                    The actual sizes are controlled in usergroups:

AdminCP > Usergroups > Usergroup Manager > *Edit the usergroup then scroll to find these settings:
                    • Custom Avatar Maximum Width (pixels)
                    • Custom Avatar Maximum Height (pixels)

The avatars have stylevars setting their sizes as well, if you edit the stylevars and type in "avatar" in the search you will see a few setting for the size in different areas of the site.

To correct the overlapping text though, it seems your going to need to use the CSS fix linked to above, for reference here it is again - https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...s-over-avatars

Comment

Thanks. Correct me if I'm wrong ( high probability) but the main Avatars, like the one associated with your post here, are the main Avatars controlled by the settings you mentioned. But the avatars in the "Activity Flow" are supposed to be smaller "thumbs"? When I rebuild the thumbs for the custom avatars, what controls the size of those thumbs? I think if I can get the thumbs size down to 60x60 that would fix the problem (while leaving the main Avatar size unchanged). Does that make sense?

Comment

There aren't any settings that control the size of avatar thumbnails. To get it any smaller, you'd want to edit the CSS for the Activity Stream like Michael initially suggested: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...s-over-avatars

Comment

I ran the rebuild avatar thumbnails and that fixed the problem for me. Quick question... why didn't this run by default on upgrade? These smaller thumbs are new to the activity stream correct? Shouldn't the necessary sizes have been built upon adding that new feature?

Also, what else wasn't done by default in recent upgrades that I haven't noticed yet?
                          Chuck
                          SiriusBuzz.com

Comment

For me, after running the resizing tool, I also had to "Clear System Cache" and vbOptimise "Flush Cache" before the problem was fixed.
                            Vincent
                            Running vBulletin for AquaticQuotient.com - a community of aquarium lovers

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X