Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it normal to have "empty" MySQL databases associated with a vB install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCH
    replied
    Alright, I'll do that right now. Then I'll delete each database one at a time (starting with the '_phat1' database), checking the website after each database is deleted.

I'll report back here in a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, just backed up the four databases in question, then went ahead and deleted each one. No issues or problems to report - everything seems to be working perfectly fine with the site. I've even gone back and deleted the database names that were listed as 'Users'; the only username that exists now is mine, which is associated with the main vBulletin database and the Photopost database.

Funny thing... I've also noticed, after deleting these four 'empty' databases, that the site's disk space usage (according to cPanel) has dropped from around 480Mb to 183Mb. Weird... I would have thought empty databases wouldn't take up much storage space...?

Regardless, everything seems to be working fine. I'll check out the Photopost database a little later this week; if it doesn't contain anything important or if I don't needed it to upgrade to the latest version of Photopost, then I'll probably delete it too.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    Originally posted by SCH View Post
    Before I go ahead and delete any databases, what recourse do I have or what should I do if the site becomes adversely affected by deleting one (or all) of these databases? Could I simply create new databases with the same name?
    Yeah, but to be absolutely safe, you should back them up.

Leave a comment:

• SCH
    replied
    I've just rechecked the four databases listed above and they contain absolutely no tables or data of any kind. The "_photopost" does contain some tables and data, but as I said earlier I'm going to leave that database alone for now.

Before I go ahead and delete any databases, what recourse do I have or what should I do if the site becomes adversely affected by deleting one (or all) of these databases? Could I simply create new databases with the same name?

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    Originally posted by SCH View Post
    I remember reading mention of it in a few discussion threads, but no store exists right now. I did have the VSa Paypal Donate plug-in installed for a short time, but that's no longer installed. Could these databases have been created by this Paypal donation plug-in?
    Very unlikely. Actually, 100% unlikely. Most mods just use the database that vBulletin is installed into. They can't create new databases.

You should be able to get rid of any database that definitely contains no data.

Leave a comment:

• SCH
    replied
    I believe there was some sort of chat plug-in/add-on installed at one point, but there's no such application any longer. Does this mean I can safely delete this database without experiencing any issues with the site?

As for the commerce databases, I don't know if there was every any sort of online store the previous admin was running on the site. I remember reading mention of it in a few discussion threads, but no store exists right now. I did have the VSa Paypal Donate plug-in installed for a short time, but that's no longer installed. Could these databases have been created by this Paypal donation plug-in?

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    The _osc ones are probably OS Commerce databases, the _pchat .. something to do with a chat application?

Leave a comment:

• SCH
    replied
    OK so we're clear that tables exist within a given database, and there are several of these tables contained within said database some of which can be empty. And we're also clear we're discussing the deletion of empty databases, not empty tables in this thread. Good.

I know Photopost is a third-party add-on to vB, but I believe it was installed by the previous site admin years ago. I don't have Photopost on the site right now, and the install that is/was present on the site doesn't work with vB4 so I can't turn it on even if I wanted to. I am going to leave this database alone for now as I may re-implement Photopost in the near future.

The other four databases - all of which contain 0.00mb of data, and at last check are completely empty - have the following name suffixes:

_pchat1
    _osc1
    _osc2
    _osc3

Do any of these names mean anything? I should mention, according to cPanel, none of the four databases listed above have me listed as their user, as is the case with the main vB database and the photopost database. Instead they have themselves listed as their users. Does that make sense?
    Last edited by SCH; Mon 16th Jul '12, 6:31am.

Leave a comment:

• Joe D.
    replied
    Yes.

Those other databases are not used by default vBulletin. It sounds like perhaps they are left-overs from old installs. Photopost is a 3rd party add-on, I don't know how it works, I suppose it is possible it may use a separate database, you would have to read up on its documentation. Default vBulletin (and the vast majority of add-ons) only work from the one vBulletin database specified in config.php.

Leave a comment:

• SCH
    replied
    Thanks for your quick response.

OK, so continuing in the interest of clarity, these tables you're referring to exist within a given database, correct? That is to say, if I were to open the main database of my site (or any vb install) I would see a number of tables within it, correct?

The 'one' database you're referring to does exist within the config.php file, and is the largest database of the list of databases shown in my cPanel. The remaining five databases are much smaller, and only one of these five contains any data in it. I believe this one database contains photos/images as it's name contains the suffix "_photopost".

Leave a comment:

• Joe D.
    replied
    Let's make sure we're talking about the same thing...

Any vBulletin install is only associated with ONE "Database." The Database your vBulletin is using can be found if you open the /includes/config.php file and the database name will be listed in the setup.

That said each database contains a number of "tables" (over 200 I believe for the VB4 Suite) and it is normal for some TABLES to be empty on a new install.

Don't delete any tables.

But if you have empty databases those have nothing to do with the active vBulletin you have installed.

Leave a comment:

• Is it normal to have "empty" MySQL databases associated with a vB install?

This may sound like a dumb, novice question but is it normal to have empty databases associated with a vB install?

According to my cPanel and phpMyAdmin I have a total of six databases associated with my vB install, yet only two of them contain any data; the remaining four are empty. Is it normal to have empty databases?

I'm only asking this question because I want to know if I can safely delete these empty databases without adversely affecting my vB install? Can I rename these databases to see if there's any effect on the site before deleting?

Thanks very much in advance.