Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Are The Spammers? My Last Forum Was A Fight, But...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    Spam makes money on volume. Same really as any advertising and marketing strategy.

So say a pharmaceutical pays $100 for 1,000 links or emails to be published. They are literally paying pennies per link,email, etc... Then they make say 10 sales (1% return rate) out of that bunch and make $500. More than worth it. Multiply this by campaigns entailing millions of links and emails per month.
    Right, so back to my question: How could one person possibly make a living doing this when it requires so much effort? Then there's the whole secondary issue of why anyone would pay very much for links in dead forums.

Originally posted by princesspepper View Post
    Anyway... my current problem is that I have an influx of human spammers that all come from india. Is there a way of banning a country without affecting all my regular users? Last time I tried to do it by IP range, loads of members complained they couldn't login.

I have extra login questions, spam addons etc... but they get past them all, because they are hired humans spamming my forum.

Suggestions please!
    I have huge swaths of the planet blocked in cpanel, but I guess I'm going to have to start adding Indian domains. That works great on my local forum, but my other forum is international and I can't safely block any countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Videx View Post
      Right, so back to my question: How could one person possibly make a living doing this when it requires so much effort? Then there's the whole secondary issue of why anyone would pay very much for links in dead forums.
      It isn't one person. Generating Spam (link or email) is a multi-billion dollar annual industry with entire data processing centers dedicated to it. It goes under the names of Email Marketing, Link Marketing, etc... Some of it is legitimate. Some of it buys email lists from third-parties. Some it just computers sending email to random addresses and running bots to target websites with data entry forms. I can hire a marketing firm in India, Pakistan, Thailand to spread my message for me. Anywhere really where there is high demand for jobs and low pay. Like I said it works on volume.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by princesspepper View Post
        This should be included in the default software. I have no idea why some of these mods, such as Spamomatic and the multiple account detector have not been included in the past ???
        I've been pushing for similar since 2008. I don't make the decisions on what goes in the software though. Well features like Spam-o-matic.

I am guessing the Multiple Account Detector works off IP addresses which if not a good solution in my opinion. IP addresses are easy to fake and email addresses take mere seconds to obtain. Very easy to game.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I've been getting a lot of e-mails recently asking to remove some old spam links that are still hanging around. They figured out that the last Google update is penalizing them for these irrelevant links. Oh, the Irony!

Capture more registrations - Advanced Guest Posting & Registration
          Cell Phone Forums | Nikonites

Comment

Originally posted by Videx View Post
            There is paid software that will do this for you, can auto-register and bypass plain ole' security 100%. All it takes is a little end-user customization and then they tick the auto-pilot button and walk away. Do that for 20 sites @ $100 a pop and they just earned $2000 in one day... now assuming it might take time it could be $2k in a week because some are smart and don't flood a forum, they try to sneak their links in some even resorted to visitor profile messages to spam links etc. Basically it's not as hard as many would think and again there is software that will do this for you and make it easy, xRumer is one example.

Former vBulletin Support Staff
            Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
            Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

is there a way to ban xrumer?

Originally posted by TheLastSuperman View Post
              There is paid software that will do this for you, can auto-register and bypass plain ole' security 100%. All it takes is a little end-user customization and then they tick the auto-pilot button and walk away. Do that for 20 sites @ $100 a pop and they just earned $2000 in one day... now assuming it might take time it could be $2k in a week because some are smart and don't flood a forum, they try to sneak their links in some even resorted to visitor profile messages to spam links etc. Basically it's not as hard as many would think and again there is software that will do this for you and make it easy, xRumer is one example.
              Looking for a way to ban or stop access from xrumer software. Is this software launched from an ip address i can ban?
              searching on google stumbled across a description of how to use to this software to target vBulletin forums.
              i have created custom field and human verification question. is this enough?
              i dont really want to start using third party spam mods.

IDEA Indian spammers -Assuming you have a target audience, specific country - you could try asking a country specific question, or knowledge that their English will not be perfect?

Comment

This is what I do to foil spammers, I have a 99.9% success rate and doesn't require any add-ons or banning IPs or emails.

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...-on-your-forum

This only works for certain types of forums.

Comment

Originally posted by MoneyMakingExpert View Post
                  Looking for a way to ban or stop access from xrumer software. Is this software launched from an ip address i can ban?
                  No,it's not from a specific IP address so you cannot ban it.

i have created custom field and human verification question. is this enough?
                  For XRumer it's enough.

Examples when it's not enough:

Q: Two plus three equals?
                  A: 5 (five)

Q: What colour is the sky?
                  A: Blue

XRumer is smart enough to get the answer.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

I kept getting spam emails from a Canadian pharmaceutical company so I asked them to remove me from their spam list. Two weeks later the spam started coming again, so I went on their site and bought loads of goods and supplied fake address details and fake card details. I did this for about 10 orders, I then told them if I get any more spam a bot would continue to create fake orders on a much higher scale. I have never had a spam email from them since.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X