Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Are The Spammers? My Last Forum Was A Fight, But...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Where Are The Spammers? My Last Forum Was A Fight, But...

Not an important question, but just curious. Where did the spammers go? My last forum (VB) required a constant watch to delete the never ending supply of spammers that signed up from Russia/China and other eastern European countries. However, with my latest install I have seen no spammers. Maybe they have yet to find me, but it seems before that within days they were swarming like flies.

Thanks.

Mr. Cat

They may have not found you or they already ran afoul of mod_security on your site. They are still out there though so you should take the appropriate precautions. It is always a cat-and-mouse scenario with spammers.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

If it is a new install to a new domain then you have to wait a few days only to be invaded by them.
      If you implemented Questions and Answers then they won't return. Bots can't register because they can't answer questions.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
        They may have not found you or they already ran afoul of mod_security on your site. They are still out there though so you should take the appropriate precautions. It is always a cat-and-mouse scenario with spammers.
        AAUGH! Thanks, Wayne and Beishe8 for the replies. I was hoping that maybe VB had discovered a miracle cure for the plague of spammers.

As advised, I'm on alert and waiting.

Thanks.

Comment

I didn't have a problem for the first couple of months but then I got hit by a wave, lasted about 2 months. It's been quiet for a bit now, so I guess you can say it comes and goes.
          My board: Auto Forum powered by vBulletin.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
            I didn't have a problem for the first couple of months but then I got hit by a wave, lasted about 2 months. It's been quiet for a bit now, so I guess you can say it comes and goes.
            A previous forum I started was plagued from the start—almost literally. It was a constant battle until I passed it to the owners.

Comment

Install this addon: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248042

Tie it into stopforumspam and you won't have to worry about spammers much.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by EverydayCats View Post
                AAUGH! Thanks, Wayne and Beishe8 for the replies. I was hoping that maybe VB had discovered a miracle cure for the plague of spammers.

As advised, I'm on alert and waiting.

Thanks.
                The Q&A system pretty much destroys all automated spammers. The only ones you have to worry about after that are the humans.

Dustin
                http://quikmsg.net/strtoupper/ - Convert lowercase text and code to all uppercase!
                http://quikmsg.net/strtolower/ - Convert uppercase text and code to all lowercase!

Comment

Maybe I spoke too soon. I had a couple from the Ukraine signup today. Quickly deleted them, but now I know it is still a problem. I'll check into stopforumspam...

Thanks.

Comment

I too haven't had to deal with spambots in ages. Just humans. The newest breed will actually participate legally for a while before trying to slip a link by us. Just last week one of them very nicely introduced himself in our Introductions forum where our members welcomed him graciously, until I asked him why his IP was from India, which he responded to vaguely. But finally today we caught him posting an odd link, which would be at most an infraction for a normal member, but in his case I think we'll go straight to ban.

It's a complete mystery to me how these people can possibly make any kind of money from this.

Comment

When I say spammers, I'm talking about human spammers. I enabled Q&A and i moderate new members and for a while I had email verification. What I find to be the best protection is,
                      Q&A to prevent bots
                      Moderate new members to prevent multiple registration and known ip addresses
                      Moderate the first few posts to make sure nobody is posting about shoes in a car forum
                      Disable signatures and visitor messages until users reach a certain post count.

Again, this worked for me, but it doesn't mean it will work for everybody else.
                      My board: Auto Forum powered by vBulletin.

Comment

Ohh they are out and about you can bet your bottom dollar on that lol .

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=276547

Former vBulletin Support Staff
                        Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
                        Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!
                        Need a Host? - I recommend URLJet

Comment

Originally posted by Videx View Post
                          It's a complete mystery to me how these people can possibly make any kind of money from this.
                          Can you make money with Google's Adsense which is built into vB?
                          Yes,you can. Someone clicks on the advertisement and you get a few cents for it.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Videx View Post
                            Spam makes money on volume. Same really as any advertising and marketing strategy.

So say a pharmaceutical pays $100 for 1,000 links or emails to be published. They are literally paying pennies per link,email, etc... Then they make say 10 sales (1% return rate) out of that bunch and make $500. More than worth it. Multiply this by campaigns entailing millions of links and emails per month.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                              Install this addon: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248042

Tie it into stopforumspam and you won't have to worry about spammers much.
                              This should be included in the default software. I have no idea why some of these mods, such as Spamomatic and the multiple account detector have not been included in the past ???

Anyway... my current problem is that I have an influx of human spammers that all come from india. Is there a way of banning a country without affecting all my regular users? Last time I tried to do it by IP range, loads of members complained they couldn't login.

I have extra login questions, spam addons etc... but they get past them all, because they are hired humans spamming my forum.

Suggestions please!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X